PDA

View Full Version : What OS to get?

Ice-Ninja
03-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi All, I`m building a new comp and was wondering if IL-2:1946 will run on Windows XPpro x64 or VISTA.Which do you think is the better OS to use?
Thanks for your inputs.

Ice-Ninja
03-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Hi All, I`m building a new comp and was wondering if IL-2:1946 will run on Windows XPpro x64 or VISTA.Which do you think is the better OS to use?
Thanks for your inputs.

FE_pilot
03-27-2007, 01:14 PM
It will run in Widows Vista, but not as well as in win xp. But if you are planning to get a new pc, then i might suggest 64bit version of Vista.

-HH-Quazi
03-27-2007, 04:19 PM
I believe drivers are a bit more scarce for the 64-bit Vista OS. The sim is known to run fine on the 32-bit Vista OS. Personally, I say stick with what has been proven (XP) until Vista has time to season.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-28-2007, 11:53 AM
XP Pro...XP Pro...XP Pro!

When it's time for Vista, I'll reformat and install the new OS from scratch, but that looks to be at least another year away. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

VW-IceFire
03-28-2007, 04:15 PM
You'd be better off with Vista than with Win XP 64bit. You might be better off with Win XP (regular 32bit version) than with Vista. I'd put Win XP 64bit edition on the last rung of your list.

WhiteSnake_76
03-28-2007, 08:08 PM
I know a couple of people who got Windows Vista and got problems with games, grafix and audio mostly but also a lot of crashes wen running a game.

NFS Carbon, GTA San Andreas, Test Drive Unlimited, Battlefield 2142 give problems with Vista, in GTA and BF2142 the sound really gets screwed up, this is on 2 difrent computers, to bad they dont have IL2-1946 so i cant say anything on that.

Im really pleased with my computer running Windows Media Center edition 2005, IL2-1946 and all other recent games run perfect on it.

stansdds
03-29-2007, 04:28 AM
I'd wait on getting Vista, go with Windows XP, it's a proven performer with tons of support. As for XP-Pro, exactly how much software takes advantage of a 64 bit OS? How many drivers are available for XP-Pro versus XP-Home edition (32 bit)?

SuperFudd
04-01-2007, 06:38 PM
I plan to get a new computer this year and want XP on it. It looks like I will have to go to the local shop and have one built to spec, probably a good idea anyway. All the pre made computers have Vista. A look at the DELL web site shows no XP option.
I will also get a non game computer for my wife and get a pre made Vista machine.

x6BL_Brando
04-02-2007, 03:12 AM
I can happily stay with XP Pro (32bit) until Vista gets sorted out. I can't be bothered with fighting all the eager hackers while I endeavour to get a stable flight-rig up & running in Vista, whilst also waiting for the major hardware vendors to get their drivers sorted out. Creative especially, they are way behind schedule, and several others are struggling. I would guess a year at least, before I take the plunge into Vista. I'm not encouraged by the rumour that there's another OS already planned to replace Vista. I think I'll let the dust settle.

B

blit_ZEN
04-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Well since i saw Bill gates call for more 300k more H1b visas for hi tech workers in the US while I am makin 1/2 of what i made 10 years ago.

I would use and old copy of windows 2000 or BSD or LINIX w/ what ever emulation it take to run IL2.

My friend who is currenlty in IT has several H1b guys at his firm.

If they lose their jobs they are deported.

The boss told one " Work all nite, sleep on the floor, if you want to back to Romania, you will be drafted".

I am not advocating piracy(stealing MS ****) because even that spreads MS poison.

Bottom line, any OS you can get for free. w/o breakin the law.

Despite the gates foundation & their good works which are extensive, they are destroying the wages of hard working americans & virtually enslaving H1b's from all over the world.

BTW i am obviously a bit bitter

(edited for spelling or lucidity)

SuperFudd
04-02-2007, 11:31 PM
I take back what I keyed about Dell. At work I found an add mailed to busineses and thay have XP as a no cost option for those "business" desk tops.