PDA

View Full Version : TRackIR and Padlock

funkster319
03-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Does padlock work in anyway with trackir?

THe only reason I ask is that I have Downloaded a Ch Product profile and it includes trackir and padlock settings? Which made me wonder if it was possible to use both

Trackir = Viewing etc
Padlock= for allocating targets to AI or something?

Any thoughts?

Pluto8742
03-19-2008, 01:07 PM
IIRC, you can still use p/l with TIR - it just overrides the TIR when you lock it on and returns view control to the TIR when you turn it off. Neat!

Cheers,

P8.

Yellow_Sub
03-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Last time I checked padlock didn't work with TrackIR, but maybe I did something wrong.

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-19-2008, 01:34 PM
I couldn't see the point, the whole reason to have trackir is to follow your target naturally.

funkster319
03-19-2008, 01:52 PM
I agree Urufu - but that is why I have asked the question when I found this profile with both tracki ir and padlock - made me wonder if i was missing something> ???????

Stiletto-
03-19-2008, 05:13 PM
It's to use as radar when you loose track of an enemy in the trees below, just flip on the padlock and it will lock onto his camouflaged plane http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif. And you thought an I-16 didn't come with built in radar!

S_p_l_a_s_h_1
03-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by funkster319:
Does padlock work in anyway with trackir?

Yes, it does.

Trackir = Viewing etc
Padlock= for allocating targets to AI or something?

Exactly.

funkster319
03-20-2008, 06:12 AM
Hmmm I guess this needs a little more investigating then :O) I never bothered because I use TrackIR !

And not RACKIR as my post title reads !!! DOH!!!lol

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-20-2008, 11:13 AM
While you can use padlock to locate enemies you cannot see, I don't think you should be able to. I would never use padlock in that manner as it's, well, I don't want to say cheat as thats too harsh but I can't think of the right word, I hope you guys know what I mean.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Gamey?

Stiletto-
03-20-2008, 04:56 PM
I bought this game because it was an attempt at an accurate WWII sim, not because I wanted to play Tie-Fighter... If that show's you my views. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif But yeah, I can see it for telling the AI what to do, but it would probably be better if there was some menu system for this or soemthing.

S_p_l_a_s_h_1
03-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Well, there IS a 'menu system' for this (default TAB key). But I believe you need to use padlock to get the most out of it. As far as I know, padlock is the only way to designate a specifc target to the AI. You can command your wingman to 'attack fighters' (TAB,1,3) and HOPE he goes for the most threatening target ... or you can, with your TrackIR, look at that bandit setting up on your 4 o'clock high, padlock it, and command your wingie to 'attack my target' (TAB,1,5) and he'll latch onto the target in question. Similarly, you can prioritize specific ground targets for each of your attack flights.

It's great for immersion.

Use a voice app like Shoot! and it's even better.

Example: I'm leading two flights of Sturmoviks on a ground attack mission and the third flight of my group is I-16s flying cover.
I look at the leading group of tanks in a column, padlock it, key my mike and say "Red, attack my target" (Shoot sends TAB,2,5).
I then look at a nearby AAA, padlock it and say "White, attack my target" (Shoot sends TAB,3,5).
Then, I notice a flight of 109s inbound at 9 o'clock high. I padlock one of them, key my mike and say "Yellow, attack my target" (Shoot sends TAB,4,5).
What happens? My flight hits the tanks, the other flight of IL-2's hits the AAA and my fighter cover engages the 109s. Rinse and repeat for the next pass.

How gamey is that?

So yeah, back to the OP ... the padlock keys temporarily override TrackIR. It's a toggle key, so you only need to engage padlock long enough to send the 'attack my target' command to the appropriate AI. Toggle it off and you're back to TrackIR panning.
It does take some practice to re-acquire your view direction in TrackIR when releasing padlock. You'll see what I mean when you try it.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by S_p_l_a_s_h_1:
How gamey is that?

Not too. Pretty cool actually, but I don't do single-player.

funkster319
03-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Allocating targets to AI - Exactly my point - Cheers Splash :O)

I totally agree with all the points made in this post. Firstly I bought TrackIr to avoid the padlock thing and agree that in certain usage it is "gamey". However as "Splash1" explains perfectly (Thanks) it can be used to great immersive effect!

I've used something similar in BOB:WOV and it's great for basically telling the AI what to do! and with a decent Voice program like "Shoot" etc it is pretty seemless!

It just up's the internal communication level 100% and certainly adds a a tactical element to flight based situations that wouldn't be possible without it. Obviously it can't beat playing with a non AI flight but great when your buddies arent availble.

Now to get it working in IL2 :O)