PDA

View Full Version : Just got x800xt...should I be using Cat 5.2?

Prop_Strike
02-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi guys...just upgraded from a GeForce mX440 to an x800xt graphics card....Holy Sh#@...what a difference...Just wondering which Cat is the best for this game.
I have 5.2 installed with the Catalyst Control Center....is this the one I should use?
If not, then where can I get an older version?
BTW....when upgrading(or downgrading) Cats...should I completely remove all drivers first or just load them over the top?
I had Cat 4.8(from the disk supplied with the card) but got black water on perfect mode so I loaded 5.2 from the net straight over top of it - was that wrong?
I have seen a couple of missing colours/textures and the "buzzsaw prop" on an enemy 109 once.

Prop_Strike
02-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi guys...just upgraded from a GeForce mX440 to an x800xt graphics card....Holy Sh#@...what a difference...Just wondering which Cat is the best for this game.
I have 5.2 installed with the Catalyst Control Center....is this the one I should use?
If not, then where can I get an older version?
BTW....when upgrading(or downgrading) Cats...should I completely remove all drivers first or just load them over the top?
I had Cat 4.8(from the disk supplied with the card) but got black water on perfect mode so I loaded 5.2 from the net straight over top of it - was that wrong?
I have seen a couple of missing colours/textures and the "buzzsaw prop" on an enemy 109 once.

MikerBiker
02-10-2005, 07:49 PM
Always Complete Remove all the Drivers before installing new ones or older ones...if you dont you will have 2 sets of drivers and thats a hell of a Conflict.
And the newer drivers will still be in the resistry and thats a No No ! and your very Lucky that you have a picture with 2 sets of drivers in the Computer.

LuckyBoy1
02-10-2005, 11:27 PM
You have not installed the driver correctly. You must first go download something like Driver Cleaner and remove the old nVidia leftovers. Then use the uninstalling too that came with your ATI driver to uninstall the ATI driver. Reboot and install the 5.2 driver and enjoy the game.

pettera
02-11-2005, 03:57 AM
If you go to the ATI download page is doesn't mention removing old drivers. It says:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Windows XP Driver Installation Guide
(Please print these instructions for future reference.)

Current Windows XP display drivers are available for download from our support website.

A. Prior to Installation
B. Installation of the ATI Display Driver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A. Prior to Installation:

Ensure that you have logged onto the system with Administrator rights.
Before attempting to install the display drivers, close any other applications being run.

You can confirm that all applications are closed using the Windows XP Task Manager.

To access the Task Manager press CTRL+ALT+DEL keys all at the same time. This will bring up the "Windows Security" dialog. Click the "Task Manager" button and select the "Applications" tab. If any applications are still listed on this tab, highlight the application and then click the "End Task" button at the bottom of the tab. Repeat this procedure until there are no more applications running.
If you are using an ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON or RADEON 64MB DDR VIVO product you should install the appropriate WDM capture drivers prior to installing the display drivers. The WDM capture drivers will be needed in order to have capture support available.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So why on earth should you remove it when the manufacturer doesn't say so?

Is it just some mumbojumbo to make life complicated or is it really any meaning to remove drivers first? Is a driver update essentially copying a set of dll's on top of some old ones?

Petter

Hunter82
02-11-2005, 05:15 AM
It depends as to what changes are made, registry/file name etc. It's always best to uninstall the previous version before installing new.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pettera:
If you go to the ATI download page is doesn't mention removing old drivers. It says:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Windows XP Driver Installation Guide
(Please print these instructions for future reference.)

Current Windows XP display drivers are available for download from our support website.

A. Prior to Installation
B. Installation of the ATI Display Driver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A. Prior to Installation:

Ensure that you have logged onto the system with Administrator rights.
Before attempting to install the display drivers, close any other applications being run.

You can confirm that all applications are closed using the Windows XP Task Manager.

To access the Task Manager press CTRL+ALT+DEL keys all at the same time. This will bring up the "Windows Security" dialog. Click the "Task Manager" button and select the "Applications" tab. If any applications are still listed on this tab, highlight the application and then click the "End Task" button at the bottom of the tab. Repeat this procedure until there are no more applications running.
If you are using an ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON or RADEON 64MB DDR VIVO product you should install the appropriate WDM capture drivers prior to installing the display drivers. The WDM capture drivers will be needed in order to have capture support available.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So why on earth should you remove it when the manufacturer doesn't say so?

Is it just some mumbojumbo to make life complicated or is it really any meaning to remove drivers first? Is a driver update essentially copying a set of dll's on top of some old ones?

Petter <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Breeze147
02-11-2005, 06:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
You have not installed the driver correctly. You must first go download something like Driver Cleaner and remove the old nVidia leftovers. Then use the uninstalling too that came with your ATI driver to uninstall the ATI driver. Reboot and install the 5.2 driver and enjoy the game. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm having a new 9800 Pro installed as we speak. My old one burned to death due to lack of power and overheating. I'm also having a new power supply and heat sink installed.

My question is: Are you saying that the Cat 5.2's are okay to use?

jurinko
02-11-2005, 08:45 AM
3.7 and 4.10 work 100% for sure. With later ones you can get some corruption from time to time.. but depends.