PDA

View Full Version : Please Lessen Elevator Control Damage!

Flydutch
03-30-2005, 06:21 AM
After Fliyng So many Campaigns the Things frustrating and Boring me most Is 'Elevator Control Damaged' After the First Hit AI AA or Fighter A/C score on the player. Elevator Control Out Forces you to refly the mission unless you bail out Over Friendly Teritory maybe.
These Contols cables Beeing shot up Happen way to Much!
How can you Hit A Cable anyway?

Flydutch
03-30-2005, 06:21 AM
After Fliyng So many Campaigns the Things frustrating and Boring me most Is 'Elevator Control Damaged' After the First Hit AI AA or Fighter A/C score on the player. Elevator Control Out Forces you to refly the mission unless you bail out Over Friendly Teritory maybe.
These Contols cables Beeing shot up Happen way to Much!
How can you Hit A Cable anyway?

VF-19
03-30-2005, 08:07 AM
Er... It's probably why planes use machine guns, spray a bunch of bullets in a concentrated area, and you're bound to hit something vital.

Famous children's authour, Roald Dahl, in his autobiography "Flying Solo" mentions that his Hurricane had his rudder cable severed (he also mentioned that he had a neat hole in his prop, and that he shot down a Ju-88). It happens in real life, so it should happen in game too.

I think the probability of having a cable shot out goes up when explosive rounds are used, as the shrapnel probably damages the cable enough that any additional stress causes it to sever.

LStarosta
03-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Please learn to fly better so as not to get shot. KTHXBYE.

I jest.

If you think damage is overmodelled, you obviously have never flown in real life. My Cessna keeps falling apart without silly Germans shooting at me, so I don't tend to take the reliability of the aircraft in the sim for granted...

F19_Ob
03-30-2005, 02:02 PM
I often fly in arcademode on so I can see where and how I was hit.
Note that the arcademode just means that u see marks and arrows for the bullet path. It doesnt get easier to fly.
I have done this for years to Improve my own shooting and try to understand my own damage from cannons and mg's better.

The damage model is fairly complex when comparing to many other sims and the range of damage is satisfying even after these years.
There are minor issues with oil on the windshield wich may be different in some planes but I have learned to live with it.

In the beginning I also thought I got controll damage too often but with the aid of arcade mode I see that controlls could have been damaged in many situations. There are many wasy for a bullet to do damage , also by ricoshetts.
Remember that also conecting points for elevatorcables could be damaged.

Ofcourse it can get frustrating if it happens manytimes in a row.
I fly the il-2 a lot online and 40% of the time I land without elevators or ailerons or both.
Its such a frequent event that it has become a normal stage of flight to land with some controlls out.

I'm not saying the sim is perfect but arcademode have helped me to see a little clearer on some aspects. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

LeadSpitter_
03-30-2005, 02:45 PM
I would like to see the size of the hit boxes for the cables, it seems even a wingtip hit will fragment pieces into the elevator and rudder snapping cables.

I would rather see a more simplified approach, when control surfaces are shot off then cables are snapped so it would make weapons seem even less effective then they are now.

Another thing in arcade mode the fragments explode in 360 degree direction, shouldnt the explosive rounds projectiles explode only forward 40-60 degree deflection exploding on impact, the rounds are going 600-1100 feet per second depending on which mg or cannon.

I suppose 4.0 might fix alot of things like able to rtb with only rudder trottle and flaps which we can still do barrel rolls and rtb safely even get kills with rudder alone.

well heres to hoping anyways.

mortoma
03-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Have to bail out or refly?? Really?? Most of the time I get elevator damage I am able to land the plane.
Sometimes I end up nosing over but I can get her down in most cases. Also, one of the smoothest landing I EVER made was without elevator control. It was a flawless landing in a Me-110. As a matter of fact I couldn't even detect the touchdown. And with elevator control in the 110, before or since, I usually land worse!!!! With practice you will be able to do it too.

Flydutch
03-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Mortema You Are A Uberpilot!

Serious just joking,
I Am Not new To This Sim Have Been Contributing Ideas And Comments before Years IL-2 Hit the Shops.
I Am Good Marksman myself and At least A 'Veteran' On Flightsimming. To Me The Frecqensey Of Elevator Kills (when fliyng Against AI Pilots And even Single Hits From AA!) Is to high (I Fly each Day) I Have Read Hunderds Of Airwar Repports but severed Cables Are A rarity!
Explosive Shels blast big holes in monocoque A/C constructions but Cable, Frame or Tube Frame are less prone to damage becuase the Explosion will blast around these!
Just Like the Stuka Pilots Found Out It was Furtually Imposible to Destroy the British Radar Mast Of Open Frame Construction During B.o.B.
A Cable is Even Harder to destroy becuase It is Flexible!
Remember the Postings Against Regular Tanks Shooting down A/C to Often for realism. In Il-2 Sturmovik?It was Changed in the End!

Now Most of the Time A/C Would Simply Blow Up when Hit, or fall Apart becuse of Overstressing the Airframe According to Many reports.
This does not happen very often in this Sim Don't you Agree?
We Are On the Way to A New Step in Flight Simming With "BOB" there is always room for Improvment of 'realism'