PDA

View Full Version : AA guns on ships are invincible

misha3791
07-07-2005, 10:25 PM
If I drop a couple 1000lb bombs in real life right next to or right on top of any gun, especially light aa gun, I don't think it would be able to fire again. That's not the case here. Could that be corrected somehow? Because I sure do loose my guns to ships. I should be able to damage aa guns on ships the same way I do on the ground. If that could be changed, that would add a great deal of realism to this already highly realistic game. Thx. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Maple_Tiger
07-08-2005, 02:40 AM
I bump this in the name of of of, ummm....aaa guns being destoyed.

jurinko
07-08-2005, 05:39 AM
bump this one. Even machinegun fire should disable not shielded AA positions.

Kernow
07-08-2005, 05:42 AM
Doesn't it say somewhere that guns are supposed to get destroyed as a ship takes damage? I don't think I've ever noticed this actually happen, but I couldn't be certain.

Kernow
07-08-2005, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by jurinko:
bump this one. Even machinegun fire should disable not covered AA positions.

Absolutely. Thats exactly what the Hellcats covering the FAA strikes on Tirpitz did for that very reason. Yamato was also strafed repeatedly by USN fighters on her last sortie.

Tater-SW-
07-08-2005, 07:15 AM
That's the entire point of all the 0.50 cals on the US "strafer" bombers as well. "Clearing the decks."

tater

Tooz_69GIAP
07-08-2005, 08:16 AM
It does say in one of the PF readmes that any of the new PF ships should have AA guns that can be out of action individually, but it doesn't happen.

FritzGryphon
07-08-2005, 09:28 AM
AA guns can be knocked out individually. It is even possible with cannon fire and M2, and even .30 cal.

Try hosing down the 20mm on an Essex, or the .50s on the Lex. It takes a good, long concentrated burst.

But I do agree, it takes far too many hits to destroy the guns. I mean, it should take a few bullets, rather than 50-100.

Tater-SW-
07-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Actually, knocking out a gun by strafing is, and should be, VERY hard.

What should be easy is supressing the guns in open tubs.

The crew ducks for cover, the gun ceases to shoot. That was the idea of strafing AAA on ships---kill/supress the crew to clear a path for more accurate bombing. The crews could then get up and start shooting again, but you're already on the other side of the ship from where the gun was last pointing. Cumulative damage completely killing the guns is fine, and would really represent killing more crew than can quickly be retasked aboard ship from other tasks (likely dmaage control).

Tail gunners on B-25s would hose the target ships down on egress for the same reason---keep their heads down!

I think in general AAA, and even artillery should have the damage threshhold to kill them raised, but at the same time increase their hit box a great deal, and any hit within that box (the box should be larger than the gun itself) results in the gun ceasing to fire for 2-3 seconds.

tater

Maple_Tiger
07-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Tater-SW-:
Actually, knocking out a gun by strafing is, and should be, VERY hard.

What should be easy is supressing the guns in open tubs.

The crew ducks for cover, the gun ceases to shoot. That was the idea of strafing AAA on ships---kill/supress the crew to clear a path for more accurate bombing. The crews could then get up and start shooting again, but you're already on the other side of the ship from where the gun was last pointing. Cumulative damage completely killing the guns is fine, and would really represent killing more crew than can quickly be retasked aboard ship from other tasks (likely dmaage control).

Tail gunners on B-25s would hose the target ships down on egress for the same reason---keep their heads down!

I think in general AAA, and even artillery should have the damage threshhold to kill them raised, but at the same time increase their hit box a great deal, and any hit within that box (the box should be larger than the gun itself) results in the gun ceasing to fire for 2-3 seconds.

tater

Tater, well said old chap.

I agree 1000% to what you were or have said at this time period - or something.

F19_Ob
07-09-2005, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by misha3791:
If I drop a couple 1000lb bombs in real life right next to or right on top of any gun, especially light aa gun, I don't think it would be able to fire again. That's not the case here. Could that be corrected somehow? Because I sure do loose my guns to ships. I should be able to damage aa guns on ships the same way I do on the ground. If that could be changed, that would add a great deal of realism to this already highly realistic game. Thx. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

The damage model on ships seem simplifyed (wich is understandable)and perhaps they should do something about it since they implemented the pacific theatre wich has lots to do with ships.
With the old fb it was highly understandable that ships had not high priority and weren't so detailed.

Most ships in ww2 were destroyed by near-misses by bombs, wich destroyed the engines or other vital elements.
Near misses in the sim doesnt cause any damage though and I guess thats partly why u can drop bombs on a submarine without taking it out while in RL a sub could be severly damaged by heavy mg's and planes often strafed ships and sub's, no use doing that in the game though.

Still the ships and water effects and spray is very realistic looking.

There are lots of other, more important planerelated things I would like to be fixed before the sips though.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif