PDA

View Full Version : Full Throttle on Piston engines and smoke trails.

bluesman69uk
03-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Hi Guys

I was recently reading an article about Me262 pilots fighting B17's over Germany. What was interesting was the fact that after certain attack passes they were eventually followed by P51's trying to chase them. One of the Luftwaffe pilots recalls that the P51's must have been on full throttle as smoke could be seen trailing fron the exhuast ports. Having watched footage of WW2 Piston planes from recent airshows you do see the trailing black exhaust smoke when they must be powered at full throttle.

I was wondering why this was never modelled in the game apart from the turbine engines.

What do you guys think?

Cheers for reading

Blues http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

blakduk
03-31-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm not sure, but in combat pilots were much more prone to abusing their machinery to gain advantage. In this case it may have been overuse of emergency boost, it knackers the engine by going way beyond tolerances. I imagine that while chasing an ME262 it would be tempting to squeeze every bit of performance one could.
At modern airshows, these planes are VERY expensive to fly/maintain and not many would dare to push them to anywhere near the same extent. Typically the pilots of these planes are also the owners. In WW2 they were just a piece of machinery designed to do a job.

FI_Willie
03-31-2005, 06:41 PM
I imagine that it would be feasible to model something like that. Planes in the game do have exhaust smoke if they aren't leaned correctly at altitude and performance suffers just as it would have in real life.

As for a P-51 blowing black smoke at full throttle, I have zero experience with that engine in real life.

The only scenario that I can come up with might be that the pilot was using a "rich mixture" to try to squeeze a few more HP at the prop to try and catch that jet. Maybe he was using a rich mixture to try to cool the engine a bit as well.
I run my air cooled big twins just shy of fouling the plugs to help dissipate the heat in the combustion chambers. Richening up the mixture is an old trick in aircraft engines to cool 'em down a tad too.

Uzunov
03-31-2005, 11:49 PM
> I was wondering why this was never modelled in the game apart from the turbine engines.

I believe it is modelled. I was flying offline LaGG-3 series 66 the other night and kept the engine at near max throtle for several minutes. The engine did not overheat which suprised me but what really took me aback was the two tiny black streams coming out of my engine. Again, the temperature was normal. Lowered the throttle for a bit, back to full and there was no black streak behind me.

This is the first VVS plane that exhibits this behavior, and this is AEP ('cause my CD drive hangs on the PF CD http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif )

Salute

EFG_Zeb
04-01-2005, 02:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Uzunov:
> I was wondering why this was never modelled in the game apart from the turbine engines.

I believe it is modelled. I was flying offline LaGG-3 series 66 the other night and kept the engine at near max throtle for several minutes. The engine did not overheat which suprised me but what really took me aback was the two tiny black streams coming out of my engine. Again, the temperature was normal. Lowered the throttle for a bit, back to full and there was no black streak behind me.

This is the first VVS plane that exhibits this behavior, and this is AEP ('cause my CD drive hangs on the PF CD http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif )

Salute <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is not modeled, what you saw was an overrich mixture at altitude. It stopped because you probably descended while your engine had degraded performance...
Prevent this by leaning the mixture in the climb as soon as RPM drop and becomes irregular.

AWL_Spinner
04-01-2005, 03:43 AM
In Clostermann's book he mentions different coloured smoke trails from German fighter engines relating to the method of boost being employed (a thin white smoke trail for MW50 maybe? I forget which was which - there's a bit on the Do335 specifically referring to this).

Be nice to see that.

3.JG51_BigBear
04-01-2005, 06:30 AM
It would be a great feature but I think the overall concensus in ORR the times this has come up, is that it would be a performance hit. People point to lag in servers with jets trailing exhaust and all that. I don't see it. I would think it would be a must in BOB. That was a favorite German escape manuever. Throttle up quickly to get a nice blast of black smoke from the stacks and nose over. Spitifre pilot thinks you're done and hopefully leaves you alone.