PDA

View Full Version : If interested in WWI, von Richthofen book now online

AWL_Spinner
02-10-2005, 08:12 AM
The Red Fighter Pilot

Here's a freebie for you - an on-line edition of Manfred von Richthofen's 1917 book 'Der Rote Kampfflieger' (in English)

richthofen.com (http://www.richthofen.com)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
In Russia our battle squadron did a great deal of bomb throwing. Our occupation consisted of annoying the Russians. We dropped our eggs on their finest railway establishments. One day our whole squadron went out to bomb a very important railway station. The place was called Manjewicze and was situated about twenty miles behind the Front. That was not very far. The Russians had planned an attack and the station was absolutely crammed with colossal trains. Trains stood close to one another. Miles of rails were covered with them. One could easily see that from above. There was an object for bombing that was worth while.

One can become enthusiastic over anything. For a time I was delighted with bomb throwing. It gave me a tremendous pleasure to bomb those fellows from above. Frequently I took part in two expeditions on a single day. On the day mentioned our object was Manjewicze. Everything was ready. The aeroplanes were ready to start. Every pilot tried his motor, for it is a painful thing to be forced to land against one's will on the wrong side of the Front line, especially in Russia. The Russians hated the flyers. If they caught a flying man they would certainly kill him. That is the only risk one ran in Russia for the Russians had no aviators, or practically none. If a Russian flying man turned up he was sure to have bad luck and would be shot down. The anti-aircraft guns used by Russia were sometimes quite good, but they were too few in number. Compared with flying in the West, flying in the East is absolutely a holiday. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AWL_Spinner
02-10-2005, 08:12 AM
The Red Fighter Pilot

Here's a freebie for you - an on-line edition of Manfred von Richthofen's 1917 book 'Der Rote Kampfflieger' (in English)

richthofen.com (http://www.richthofen.com)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
In Russia our battle squadron did a great deal of bomb throwing. Our occupation consisted of annoying the Russians. We dropped our eggs on their finest railway establishments. One day our whole squadron went out to bomb a very important railway station. The place was called Manjewicze and was situated about twenty miles behind the Front. That was not very far. The Russians had planned an attack and the station was absolutely crammed with colossal trains. Trains stood close to one another. Miles of rails were covered with them. One could easily see that from above. There was an object for bombing that was worth while.

One can become enthusiastic over anything. For a time I was delighted with bomb throwing. It gave me a tremendous pleasure to bomb those fellows from above. Frequently I took part in two expeditions on a single day. On the day mentioned our object was Manjewicze. Everything was ready. The aeroplanes were ready to start. Every pilot tried his motor, for it is a painful thing to be forced to land against one's will on the wrong side of the Front line, especially in Russia. The Russians hated the flyers. If they caught a flying man they would certainly kill him. That is the only risk one ran in Russia for the Russians had no aviators, or practically none. If a Russian flying man turned up he was sure to have bad luck and would be shot down. The anti-aircraft guns used by Russia were sometimes quite good, but they were too few in number. Compared with flying in the West, flying in the East is absolutely a holiday. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VF51_Flatspin
02-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Cool, thanks!

Indianer.
02-10-2005, 09:00 AM
thanks