PDA

View Full Version : Question for UBsoft

BM357_TinMan
12-23-2004, 07:36 AM
This is an honest question even if it is a little nasty.

Isn't UBsoft supposed to be in charge of promoting and distributing Oleg's game?

Seems to me that they don't do a very good job of it, atleast not on this continent.

Leaving aside the piss poor way they handle the internet gamming lobby thing (UBI.com) that makes it almost necessary for a THIRD PARTY to provide this service to Oleg with out benifit of a contractual agreement (thank you Jerri btw).

Leaving that aside, what I mean is; I got started in CFS'ing back in late '99 when I bought a copy of CFS1. I bought CFS1 for NO OTHER reason other than that it was just there at walmart asking to be bought.

Over the last month, I have made a point of looking for 1. IL2FB, 2. AEP, 3. Goldpack, or 4. PF in every Walmart, Bestbuy, EB Games and compusa that I happened to be in. This includes, 2 EBgames in Wichita and KC, 4 Walmarts in Wichita, 1 Bestbuy in wichita, and compusa here in wichita. YOu know what I found? I found 1 yes ONE copy of AEP in an EB in KC last weekend!!! That is it. AEP can't even be bought as a stand alone and they didn't have FB to sell with it.

Seems to me that, if you want this game, you have to go and look for it. How does UB expect to sell a lot of copies of a product to an already nitche market when it isn't even available.

This is ridiculous and it seems to me that they are lettin Oleg down on their end of the marketing deal here.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention this as there has been some talk lately about how piracy is huritn Oleg's and 1Cmaddox's profit margin (which I have no doubt it is). But man, if the product was available, I think more people would buy it.

I know that it is easily availble on-line, which is how I bought my P/F, but this is basically only good for those that already know about the game, it doesn't do much to reach a market that doesn't know about IL2.

tsisqua
12-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Hihttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I tell them at my local game store about new Maddox releases. The manager makes sure that he orders a copy for me, and I usually get it on release day. The handful of local sim pilots all fly M$, at least until I show them this 1C game with the real long title, thanks to all the addonshttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .

The best way to make sure that the game is available is to tell people about it, starting with the people that you buy games from. If you talk them into ordering you a copy, they usually will order more than just what you request, quantity wise. Get a friend to buy another copy, if you can. The store will love you for it, and won't mind ordering for you again the next time.

I would rather buy from my local place than to order, but if worse comes to worse, I will.

Best advertisement for a niche game like this is word of mouth, and you really can't blame Ubi, if you look at all the spotlight that they had on them at E3. It is up to the local businesses to be aware of, and request the product from their respective distributor. Make sure that they know about new releases ahead of time, because a regular order is less of a pain than a special order.

Hope you get your copy, Mate, and Merry Christmas.

Tsisqua

GR142-Pipper
12-23-2004, 06:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BM357_TinMan:
Over the last month, I have made a point of looking for 1. IL2FB, 2. AEP, 3. Goldpack, or 4. PF in every Walmart, Bestbuy, EB Games and compusa that I happened to be in. This includes, 2 EBgames in Wichita and KC, 4 Walmarts in Wichita, 1 Bestbuy in wichita, and compusa here in wichita. YOu know what I found? I found 1 yes ONE copy of AEP in an EB in KC last weekend!!! That is it. AEP can't even be bought as a stand alone and they didn't have FB to sell with it.

Seems to me that, if you want this game, you have to go and look for it. How does UB expect to sell a lot of copies of a product to an already nitche market when it isn't even available.

This is ridiculous and it seems to me that they are lettin Oleg down on their end of the marketing deal here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Maybe yes, maybe no. It all depends on the agreed terms and conditions of the distribution agreements as well as the manner in which the marketing is being done. Keep in mind that to have a product distributed in these mass-market merchandisers, the cost in terms of both margin and expected advertising BY THE SOFTWARE PUBLISHER/DISTRIBUTOR can be prohibitive. These distribution organizations expect the publisher and/or developer to spend quite a bit of their money in the merchandiser's/distributor's advertising pieces. This is simply not cheap as most will not accept product for payment (they want a cash commitment or a guarantee of a cash commitment if sales don't reach projections).

I've headed software company for about 15 years and I know how this game is played, first-hand. The problem for Oleg/1C is that his product (like our software) is not a mainstream application. It's a niche application focused on a rather narrow market segment. This makes distribution in mass-market outlets difficult because the IL-2/FB/AEP/PF is simply too specialized for the mass merchandisers.

However, I will say that if Ubi marketed the product in avaition/military publications, it would be much more effective than marketing it to the Wal-Marts of the world.

Another technique would be to include a coupon with another software title as an inducement. There are many things that can be done but it must be recognized that this is a specialized market requiring a more focused marketing approach...by people who KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING and UNDERSTAND THE PRODUCT.

GR142-Pipper

GR142-Pipper
12-26-2004, 02:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BM357_TinMan:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Bump

knightflyte
12-26-2004, 05:33 AM
I understand what you are saying. As another lucky guy that loves flight sims I'm glad I found this one...(or four depending on how you count the series http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif...)

In my area of Massachusetts, (Bostonish) I've had absolutely NO problem finding IL2/EAP/PF. I go to my local CompUSA and voila, there must be 8 on the shelf. There's a lot of MS and MS add on stuff too.

I walk into EB and there's at least a few...(and they specialize in PS and XBOXES) same with Best Buy....On top of that there are flight sticks out the ying yang.

It could be the market demographics, but I'm not sure how a company would mark the demograpics for flight sims, whether it would be solely on population...economics... or more likely a marketing campaign based on previous sales in a specific area.

By looking on the shelves you'd never know that we are a special breed.

Conversly.....With so many on the shelf I often wonder if they are selling...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif...But I frequent the stores enough to know they ARE turning over. It's just not selling like DOOM of Half A$$....(I mean Half Life)

regards,
Robert

Once you go Track...you never go back.

Bearcat99
12-26-2004, 07:36 AM
I find that CompUSA usualy gets them ..in fact evey CompUSA I gointo still has FB,AEP and the Aces GOLD pack.

But i agree UBI does do a pi$$ poor job with this series. If they marketed it just a bit more diligently they would see better returns.

Recon_609IAP
12-26-2004, 07:45 AM
We are lucky to have one copy of PF on the shelves and 10 copies+ of CFS3 on the shelves.

Marketing is horrible for PF in the US, it's no wonder the sales are low.

When I ask about this game at the stores, they look at me funny and fire up their search engine - they think I want some Medal of Honor game.

Also - I bought IL2 because I tried the demo. No PF demo hurts sales as well. At least have a quick mission off a carrier or something. I never buy a game without a demo nowdays, been burned too many times.

LStarosta
12-26-2004, 08:39 AM
I haven't seen one commercial in the U.S. for Pacific Fighters yet... (EDIT: In print or on TV)

Would it be THAT hard for Ubi to compile a little video and make a commercial showing off PF in its Perfect Mode glory? I'm sure more people would flock to PF and subsequently to FB AEP Gold pack which would just bring in more dough for not only Ubi, but hopefully 1C as well.

knightflyte
12-26-2004, 08:50 AM
The commercials are already made. Just stop by the movie makers forum...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
I think I'd poop myself if I saw an IL2/FB/PF commercial. (Can I say poop on the forum?...afterall the UBI logo is a toilet swirl.)