PDA

View Full Version : OTish: Das boot and uboat chain of command question

Liddabit
03-10-2007, 11:09 AM
I was thinking about Das Boot and how things are setup on my boat in SH3. It was pretty obvious that "Chief" was the chief engineer, sothat matches. Then was the 2nd officer (The mold lover) who did the decrypting also the main Watch officer? Was the 1st officer "hiter youth leader" the weapon officer?

And their navigator wasn't an officer? One of the petty officers? and is that like NCO for the army?

Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Heinrich505
03-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Liddabit,
My understanding is that the Chief, while an officer, is not in line for command. He went a different path in officer training and was technically responsible for all facets of the boat regarding engineering and repair. He would be the most knowledgable about how the sub works, and by necessity, he would be the most trusted and closest to the Kaulein.

The "Hitler Youth" officer, Number 1, was next in line for command. The Number 2, who liked mold because it looked like lettuce, would follow Number 1 in line. They would be assigned the various duties involving gunnery, etc.

The navigator was indeed a petty officer, like a sergeant in the Wehrmacht, and considered a non-com.

There was one incident I am aware of, where the kaulein and all the command officers were killed or wounded while fighting it out on the surface with aircraft. The only officer left functioning, was the medical officer, and while not qualified for command at sea, he took control until one of the fleet officers was patched up enough to take command again. I understand he did quite a good job at it too.

Heinrich505

Liddabit
03-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks for helping me out on this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

My only really understanding prior to this game on military things came from my hubby who is an Infantry soldier. It seems Army things are completly different from Naval :P

3.JG51_Molders
03-10-2007, 03:29 PM
I have been looking at this very topic when watching Das Boot and this is what I have come up with:

The "Cheif" is an Oberleutnant Zur See with a Engineer qualification on his eppaulet. He also is qualified as a Damage control officer.

"Number 1" or the Hilter Youth leader is an Oberleutnant Zur see qualified as a Watch officer and a Weapons officer (seems more like a watch officer in the later scenes).

"Number 2" or the Uboat cocktail guy is also an Oberleutnant Zur See who is qualified as a Watch officer and the Uboats Engima officer.

Kriesbaum or the NCO at the navigation table is an Oberbootsmann or a Senior NCO (equivilent to an Oberfeldwebel in the Luftwaffe). His qualification is, navigation but also has charge of the watch when officers are not on deck.

As for the ranks, the Heer (Army) doesn't differ much from the Kriegsmarine in ranks except for the inclusion of the Junior NCO ranks in the Kriegsmarine.

Crosseye76
03-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Liddabit:
Thanks for helping me out on this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

My only really understanding prior to this game on military things came from my hubby who is an Infantry soldier. It seems Army things are completly different from Naval :P

You have to keep in mind also, we're talking about Submarines here. They are sometimes more like an extended family than other types of military unit.

In any small unit like subs, anybody could do at least the basics of anybody elses job.

In the USN that's what a Submariners "Dolphins" are all about. I served on the U.S.S. George Bancroft SSBN 643 (Gold) as a Missile Tech. My job was all about the care and feeding of Trident 1 C-4 missiles. But (in an pinch) I could also line up a torpedo tube to launch it, bring the Aux Diesel engine online, Bring a Steam Turbine online, or stand a shift on the BQR-21 sonar console.

It took about a year to earn them, but it would ensure that if I was (for instance) back in Maneuvering B.S.'ing with the Nukes, and an Alarm rang, I would know what it was, what were the basic actions to take, and could assist with them.

Also, Your "Day to Day" job might be different from your "Battle" job. On a Fleet boat, you might be an Engineman day to day, but might be part of the Reload party at Battle Stations (Torpedo), or passing shells up at Battle Stations (Surface).

So, the officers and crewmen usually had a primary "Job", but could and did do many others as well.

Liddabit
03-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Wow that is awesome Crosseye. Are subs are cramped as they were in the period we are familier with in SH3? Or are they alot bigger now?

Das boot gives the feeling of everyone living in a very small 3 room flat with some rooms having dividers rather than full walls.

Crosseye76
03-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Quite a bit bigger now than then, even on a Fleet boat, much, much more than a Type VII.

But BIG is a very relative term. You have a lot more gear jammed in along with you. You still exist cheek to cheek and side by side with the other crew. Each enlisted man had his own bunk, with about 20 inches or a bit more of space to the bunk above you, so you could almost sit up 1/2 way. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The mess deck would hold a about 1/3 of the crew, so you eat fast, there's always a line.

The longest stretch I ever spent submerged was 67 days. It was kind of odd to submerge in Spring, and when you got back in it was Summer. Seeing the Sun and smelling fresh air again was always a treat, no matter how short a patrol it was. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Heinrich505
03-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Say Crosseye76,
I spent a few days training on an attack sub out of Charleston as a midshipman. The bunks on the sub were nightmarish. You had to decide if you wanted to sleep on your stomach or on your back, because there was no way you could turn over. Then you had to stay that way the entire time, or slide out of the rack to change positions. The rack above was sooo close. I think you have more room in a coffin, for crying out loud. It drove me nuts. Claustrophobia is a real concern. I was so glad to get off that boat and onto a destroyer. Those canvas racks on the destroyer were like a king size bed in comparison. It gives you a real appreciation for what the boys in the WWII submarines had to go through.

Heinrich505