PDA

View Full Version : Prop pitch on throttle slider

flyingskid2
12-25-2003, 11:44 AM
Has anyone tried this - mapping the prop pitch control on your hotas throttle.

I read somewhere that it is best for an engine when run with the choke fully open. This means under most circumstances the throttle should be at 100%. And then you just control the speed of the aircraft via the prop pitch. 100% prop pitch for slowest speed/most power and lower (%) prop pitch (actually higher pitch angle) for faster speed/less power.

I think with prop pitch on hotas throttle, we'd simulate the use of prop pitch like gears better.

Comments?

flyingskid2
12-25-2003, 11:44 AM
Has anyone tried this - mapping the prop pitch control on your hotas throttle.

I read somewhere that it is best for an engine when run with the choke fully open. This means under most circumstances the throttle should be at 100%. And then you just control the speed of the aircraft via the prop pitch. 100% prop pitch for slowest speed/most power and lower (%) prop pitch (actually higher pitch angle) for faster speed/less power.

I think with prop pitch on hotas throttle, we'd simulate the use of prop pitch like gears better.

Comments?

ElfunkoI
12-25-2003, 01:15 PM
I use that way for the 109 where you must manually control the prop pitch. On all other aircraft I use the throttle to control power and a rotory knob to control set RPM ("prop pitch").

Bull_dog_
12-25-2003, 03:34 PM
I just got a Saitek X-45 and mapped my prop pitch and trim to the rotary knobs...works well but unfortunately I don't know the secrets of prop pitch yet....I'll tell you this about trim though...I had all the issues other players are posting about until I got this joystick...now with trim on the knob it is a whole different game with instataneous adjustment and effect...

by the way I don't find that I get a turn advantage by increasing trim...I only stall easier...I haven't done any technical testing and it might be that everyone else increases trim to nullify the effect...who knows.

Now if only I can unlock the myster of prop pitch.

SeaFireLIV
12-25-2003, 03:54 PM
The prop pitch is on a slider in the Hurri cockpit. Check it out, next to the left pedal.

`Man is an embodied paradox, a bundle of contradictions.` Lacon.

ZG77_Lignite
12-25-2003, 04:12 PM
Though not completely incorrect for the Bf109 series in 'manual mode', I believe you have an incorrect understanding of 'prop pitch' in FB. If you are refering to 109's set to manual (as opposed to automatic), my apologies, as you have the basics. Please keep in mind the 'gears' analogy is not a good one, airplanes are not like cars. Changing prop pitch on 109's (the only directly adjustable by the pilot prop pitch in the game) is necessary because of changes in speed and altitude, adjust it only to maintain the desired engine RPM (just like all the Constant Speed Props do automatically)

Bearcat99
12-25-2003, 04:16 PM
I use an X45/MSFFB/CH Pedals setup. I have my prop pitch mapped to the throttle slider of the MSFFB stick. My X45 stick is used as a button bay only. The MS stick is the main flight controller with the X45 throttle being used as a throttl and my trims are on there. Except for rudder trim which is mapped to the twist stick on the MSFFB.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/bookstore/tuskegeebondposter.jpg (http://tuskegeeairmen.org/airmen/who.html)[/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>vflyer@comcast.net [/list]<UL TYPE=SQUARE>99thPursuit Squadron IL2 Forgotten Battles (http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat)[/list]

ElfunkoI
12-25-2003, 11:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZG77_Lignite:
Though not completely incorrect for the Bf109 series in 'manual mode', I believe you have an incorrect understanding of 'prop pitch' in FB. If you are refering to 109's set to manual (as opposed to automatic), my apologies, as you have the basics. Please keep in mind the 'gears' analogy is not a good one, airplanes are not like cars. Changing prop pitch on 109's (the only directly adjustable by the pilot prop pitch in the game) is necessary because of changes in speed and altitude, adjust it only to maintain the desired engine RPM (just like all the Constant Speed Props do automatically)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Que? Wrong thread? I think we need flashlight, someone wandered off the path. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

GMichaelP
12-26-2003, 08:32 PM
Perhaps I don't understand the question but I think your idea is wrong. First of all it is not the choke but the throttle I think you are talking about. The choke controls the fuel/air mixture and when you use a manual choke you essentially are dumping fuel directly into the carb (over rich).

Pilots of reciprocating engines used both throttle and mixture plus prop pitch. The FW 190 and some U.S. aircraft had controls that were linked. The FW 190 had a crude (by today's standards) computer (it was a physical not electronic device but I don't really don't how it worked but it evidently did a pretty good job) and the the U.S. aircraft had (as I understand it) just a metal link between throttle and pitch controls (which was not used all the time).

Small aircraft today still have mixture controls. One has to enrich the mixture during certain weather conditions to prevent carb icing (which usually occurs when it is cold and damp but not below freezing temps).

I have never flown fixed wing aircraft but I have flown helicopters. There you have to adjust the angle of attack (the same as pitch) of the main rotary blades to match the speed of the blades with the speed of the engines. You have both a rotar rpm guage and an engine rpm gauge. If you just twisted the throttle to 100% with not load on the engine it would redline and cause damage. Modern sports bikes and sports cars have rev limiters to prevent damage. For example, on a 600 cc CBR or ZXR the redline is around 13500 or 14000 and the engine will be electronically limited to about 1000 rpm more. Your will hit the limit and it switches off for a microsecond. Usually happens when your are in a low gear and accelerating.

Throttle controls power (with a carb it is the flow of air and petrol hrough the carb) but mixture controls the ratio of petrol to air (oxygen). Gears or pitch control the resistence. You cannot take off in course pitch in the same way you cannot start off from a stop with your bike (car) in 5th or sixth gear. The rule is (based on my reading) is to adjust mixture for rpm, rpm for throttle, and throttle last. I think FB CEM is too simple but I don't really know.

Cars today and bikes with FI don't have manual chokes. If you leave a manual choke on you will have engine problems pretty quickly.

What you suggest would be analogous to my riding my motorcycle with the throttle full on and just changing gears to control speed. Not very efficient.

Don't know if this helps or just causes more confusion.

Michael