PDA

View Full Version : OMG this is hard..

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 01:21 AM
i cant fly this thing... what the hell do i do?

pitch, roll etc... i got a cheap joystick from a friend, its a attack 3.. i have to save up for a good one...

a few things... when i take off, the plane will turn to the right and not go straight... lol.. i dont know what fixes it...

i got the stick to turn left and right and up and down, but if i let the think level the plane will just climb.. what the hell?

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 01:21 AM
i cant fly this thing... what the hell do i do?

pitch, roll etc... i got a cheap joystick from a friend, its a attack 3.. i have to save up for a good one...

a few things... when i take off, the plane will turn to the right and not go straight... lol.. i dont know what fixes it...

i got the stick to turn left and right and up and down, but if i let the think level the plane will just climb.. what the hell?

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 01:23 AM
Rudder is your friend /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif Apply opposide the direction the nose swings.

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 01:35 AM
dont climb to fast ..make sure you retract your gear.. check flaps.........keep airspeed up by not climbing to fast. etc..

U.S INFANTRY 84-91

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 01:54 AM
MGallun wrote:
- i cant fly this thing... what the hell do i do?
-
- pitch, roll etc... i got a cheap joystick from a
- friend, its a attack 3.. i have to save up for a
- good one...
-
- a few things... when i take off, the plane will turn
- to the right and not go straight... lol.. i dont
- know what fixes it...
-
- i got the stick to turn left and right and up and
- down, but if i let the think level the plane will
- just climb.. what the hell?

"You've just taken your first step into a larger world."

Welcome to flight sims! (Or if I'm assuming too much newbieness, welcome to IL-2/FB.) /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

For takeoff, you need to use the rudder to compensate for the yawing motion you described. This is caused by the torque of the engine and the effect of the propwash. If you don't have a twist axis on your joystick, you can approximate the same effect by tapping the rudder key on the keyboard. (Z and X by default if I recall correctly.) Holding the key down will cause you to hold full rudder, which will be too much.

As far as your climb problem, here is a very basic explanation: Your plane will climb steadily if the lift force generated by the wings is greater than the weight of the plane. The lift generated by the wings is a function of your speed (the faster you go, the more lift the wings make). So the behavior you're seeing is not a problem, it's how an aircraft behaves.

To compensate for this, you can hold the stick forward to keep the nose level and keep from climbing. This gets tiring and makes it harder to hold the nose steady (important when you want to actually shoot at something). Therefore you want to use the elevator trim, which is a way of producing the down elevator position without you having to actually hold the stick forward. (Look for the key bindings on the controls section. If I recall correctly, "Negative Elevator Trim" will hold the nose down.) It usually takes about 10-15 presses of elevator trim to make the planes fly level without having to hold the stick forward. Also, the faster you're flying, the more trim you will need.

Since it seems like you're just getting started in flight sims, let me recommend that you fly the IL-2 to get started. Any version will do, though I'm partial to the Field Mod. The IL-2 is a relatively stable and easy to fly airplane, and it's also tough (handy when you're learning how to land). Learning a flight sim as detailed as this can be frustrating, but watching your flying skills improve over time through experience is one of the most rewarding experiences in computer gaming IMHO. Good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When my brother and I built and flew the first man-carrying flying machine, we thought that we were introducing into the world an invention which would make further wars impossible..."

Orville Wright, 1917

XyZspineZyX
10-03-2003, 02:17 AM
Heh, it's so refreshing to see a new guy learning to fly.

Yes, it's hard, but combat is even harder! Dont give up, pick a plane and learn it. Turn and Burners are great to start with (VVS stuff, Yaks, P39)

But you have lots of hair where the sun dont shine, fly OKL, specifically Bf109! - That was a jab at all the VVS brethern out there! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Practice take off's and landing over and over until you can do it in your sleep. Once you have mastered that, come back and we will start you off on gunnery skills, young grasshopper...

Run along now, the addiction begins!

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

(PS: I am not the guy to teach you how to shoot... I miss a lot!)