PDA

View Full Version : PF is great, but need some lights on deck, Oleg...

SeaFireLIV
10-25-2004, 06:03 AM
Thnx for Pf, great sim, still finding out lots. One problem... no lights on carriers for dusk landing.

But I had a late landing mission at night and Carriers just don`t seem to want to put on any lights, even if there are no enemies around. It`s pretty hard landing in broad daylight, but at dusk without lights? Perhaps I`m missing something - I have tried asking for landing clearance and stil no lights show....

I`ve had a close look at some decks and there are some red/green lights graphic defintely there. Please enable this...

If I am wrong somehow then please disregard.

Gato__Loco
10-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Can you go to the FMB use campfires?
Just kidding....

SeaFireLIV
10-25-2004, 12:35 PM
It seems like we will not be having lights on carriers, I`m afraid.

Philipscdrw
10-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Um, why not?

clint-ruin
10-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Are their lights only turned on when they're behind friendly territory as shown with the front markers in the FMB?

SeaFireLIV
10-25-2004, 04:41 PM
I sent a note to Oleg about it and he was quite quick to respond. "We don't model ship lights."

and I asked why, is it too hard to programme? I got a second response, "We will not make it."

So I`ve left it at that. I suspect something was lost in the translation (since English is not the mother-tongue). He responded quickly and was to the point. So I won`t press it any more. PF /FB are still great sims... perhaps he`ll change his mind over time... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

RAF-Blackace
10-25-2004, 04:42 PM
S!

Darn thats bad, even someone holding a lighted candle would have done. Ahh well, I guess its landing lights only then.

Maybe they will work after the patch.

"our father , who art in heaven......"

BfHeFwMe
10-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Battle of Santa Cruz the Enterprise lost several aircraft and crews, wouldn't turn the lights on since the risk was to high. Several recoveries were made in the twighlight, the rest were out of luck.

Night operations weren't the norm for most of the war, the first useful lighting systems were field improvised in the combat zone, the standard lighting equipment installed was next to useless.

SeaFireLIV
10-25-2004, 06:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BfHeFwMe:
Battle of Santa Cruz the Enterprise lost several aircraft and crews, wouldn't turn the lights on since the risk was to high. Several recoveries were made in the twighlight, the rest were out of luck.

Night operations weren't the norm for most of the war, the first useful lighting systems were field improvised in the combat zone, the standard lighting equipment installed was next to useless. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now this is useful information to know. I wondered if this could be a reason for the lack of deck lighting. I have a couple of WWII Pacific books but couldn`t find anything on carriers using landing lights... Well, at least I can now suspend my disbelief a little when landing at dusk hours. That`s all I needed, a reasonable reason.

Anyone else with more info?

p1ngu666
10-25-2004, 07:33 PM
shame
on pc, its not too bad, once u get closer, but it is just a dark squarish blob.

Fehler
10-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Ouch! That's going to make for very difficult recoveries during late evening missions.

I had wondered about this when I was flying an evening LW mission in a campaign.

So, they didnt use light in real life? Seems like a terrible waste of pilots and planes.

JG51Beolke
10-26-2004, 10:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fehler:
Ouch! That's going to make for very difficult recoveries during late evening missions.

I had wondered about this when I was flying an evening LW mission in a campaign.

So, they didnt use light in real life? Seems like a terrible waste of pilots and planes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And sometimes, during bad weather during the day and the planes couldn't see the Carrier, the Carriers couldn't even call to the planes to tell them where they were due to radio blackouts. Carrier locations were pre-determined for recovery. If the planes couldn't find the deck, they were SOL.........

DGC763
10-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Carrier lights we in general never turned on at night due to the possibilty of being spotted by submarines. Lights on the ocean are exceptionally easy to see from long distances. Thus no lights.

One of the few exception I believe was in the Battle of Leyte Gulf (I think it is this one, I am away from ref material.) when the US carriers launched a long range strike in the very late afternoon. With planes returning in the dark and extremely low on fuel (many did ditch and most were rescued the next day) Admiral ______ (I think it was Halsey) ordered that the carriers turn on there lights so the planes could find the carriers and some could be recovered.

SeaFireLIV
10-26-2004, 06:25 PM
snap, DGC763!

I have just read about that bit in my book! Well it shows they did have deck lights and they could be used, but as a rule they weren`t! The submarine danger IS one good reason why! Guess I shoulda thought about it properly... lights could be seen from very far too along the ocean.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

By the way I love Sun Tzu`s sayings. I must read his book properly!