PDA

View Full Version : Fw-190 A-5

JamesBlonde888
05-18-2005, 04:44 AM
What is the deal with this thing???

I have been flying it on FB(V1-1) and basically the slightest nudge of the stick seems to throw it into a high-speed stall. My speed at times has been well over 400kph and usually I can guide any aircraft though a 90 degree break turn (Even the P-39) without spinning or stalling it but the A-5 is giving me nightmares!

Does anybody out there have a bit of experience on this type? Any guidance pertaining to operational techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Reguards

--

JB

Finkeren
05-18-2005, 04:57 AM
Some prople with more talent in the FW190 will post here in a minute but here's my 2C:

The trick is: Don't turn. Start by establishing an altitude advantage and hit and run the best you can.
It takes some time to get used to the special way of the FW, but when you get it it's actually a neat plane, although not the overall best.

mynameisroland
05-18-2005, 05:09 AM
look at your stick settings - are they default? If so consider changing them to be less sensitive. Either that or just be less harsh with the stick Fw will turn and turn very fast at above 400k just be gentle when the wings beginn to shudder ease off you are actually turing quite fast.

tigertalon
05-18-2005, 05:09 AM
Hi JB

My toughts exactly when I started flying Fw190A.

Very important: Use flaps when turning. Combat flaps greatly improve your turning ability, at slow speeds deploy take off flaps, but be carefull not to jam them.

But like Finkeren said, avoid turning whenever possible, and try to fight in vertical plane. For example: you go head on with bogey, after you pass he starts to turn, but you start to climb, not turn!

Fw190s turning rate at slow to medium speed is barely enough to follow waypoints. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

But at high speeds it comes into it's own, at speeds >600kph it turns among the best, but bleeds speed rapidly, so this high speed turning should be used just to get deflection shots. Every such turn should be less than 90 degrees or you will bleed to much speed.

JG54_Arnie
05-18-2005, 05:17 AM
It can turn fine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif The A4 and A5 are the well turning FW's, its very dependant on stick settings (make sure it doest give too much elevator when you pull your stick a bit) and how hard you pull..
Although braketurns is not what the FW is made for, you will want to keep your energy instead of losing it. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-18-2005, 06:02 AM
I agree with Arnie. The A4-A5's are my absolute favorite 190's. Mostly because they have great firepower and tremendous speed comparatively in historical planesets.

As was said already, they are speed machines. Keep your airspeed up and turn only slightly. Their elevator response is excellent even at high speeds and is quite effective for that high-speed deflection shot when you and your wingman are tag-teaming.

TB

LeadSpitter_
05-18-2005, 01:35 PM
if you think the 190as bad try the ki84 p51 h-81 p40b c corsair p38 and bf110.

the 190 does not go into difficult recovery stalls no matter how much rudder you use or how much you flop around thats why the antons are the top killing plane in game.

NorrisMcWhirter
05-18-2005, 01:55 PM
That's correct...it is hard to get into a nasty stall in the 190 but you can always offset that against impossible handling with a pinhole in the wing, easy PKs or the "hilarious" fuel leak gag.

James..just take the advice given. Get plenty of alt, stay fast, don't turn any more than 90 degrees in one go and see how the 190 feels in a high speed dive compared to other planes. You'll notice that you have a lot more control than most, especially the 109.

If you get into trouble, don't turn but split s and dive away at high speed. The 190 allows you to disengage at will....so don't feel that you have to stick around and fight in close combat. Just break off, get your energy back if you lost some then re-engage on your terms. That's not cowardice (as some people will point out online) but just effective tactics. Cowardice is running away (extending!) and landing...it's not "extending" then shooting them down 3 minutes later when they're least expecting it.

Also, try teaming up with someone and fly loosely as each other's wingman. The 190 is an ideal team fighter and it's very effective in dragging and bagging (See airwarfare.com for a description if you don't know what that is).

Ta,
Norris

VW-IceFire
05-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by JamesBlonde888:
What is the deal with this thing???

I have been flying it on FB(V1-1) and basically the slightest nudge of the stick seems to throw it into a high-speed stall. My speed at times has been well over 400kph and usually I can guide any aircraft though a 90 degree break turn (Even the P-39) without spinning or stalling it but the A-5 is giving me nightmares!

Does anybody out there have a bit of experience on this type? Any guidance pertaining to operational techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Reguards

--

JB
Version 1.1 you say? Upgrade to 1.22 for starters...

Or get PF and AEP and get upto 3.04.

I forget how it handled back in 1.1 but right now its a matter of being a good handler of your joystick and having the proper sensitivity settings. It doesn't require alot of stick movement to achieve full deflection of ailerons or elevator...its a very subtle plane sometimes...with a less than subtle set of guns.

dieg777
05-18-2005, 02:15 PM
I had the same problem- sorted by using crazyivans setttings in joystick and taking it more softly on any actions

crazyivan1970:
Roll: 27 38 52 63 69 75 83 88 93 100
Pitch: 28 44 55 62 70 79 88 93 96 100
Yaw: 29 40 48 57 66 76 86 93 95 100

have you seen fw articles here

http://www.airwarfare.com/guides.htm

good luck

faustnik
05-18-2005, 02:19 PM
What IceFire said, get PF. The Fw190 does not stall easily. (Neither do the American planes as Leadspitter's whine implies.)

JamesBlonde888
05-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Thankyou very much for the excellent responses. I had been working on some scratch hit and run tactics and the only problem that I am encountering is that a lot of my missionsare taking place at low level against ground targets. I am quite impressed with the performace of the 190 using the high speed tactics here although my marksmanship leaves somewhat to be desired. Fortunately the VVS has seen fit to fill the sky with targets for me to practise on...lol

cheers

JB

ps I would upgrade to the next patch but I have pre-paid dialup and only 4 hours connection. Is there somewhere I can download the patches incrememntally.

TX-Zen
05-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Email me your address and what patches you need, I'll burn them to CD and mail them to you.

clyndes@hotmail.com

JG54_Arnie
05-19-2005, 01:04 AM
Thats the stuff! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JamesBlonde888
05-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by TX-Zen:
Email me your address and what patches you need, I'll burn them to CD and mail them to you.

clyndes@hotmail.com

Thanks very much for your extremely kind offer. Fortunately I have a friend who lives nearby and is able to download them for me on broadband the nearfuture. Neverthelless I am impressed by your generosity. Thanks.

Reguards

--

JB