PDA

View Full Version : DLC for AC2 PC version

MinscTheHunter
08-27-2009, 02:26 AM
Sorry if this has been answered before... I searched and found a few threads on DLC, but nothing answering this question.

I read about the plans for AC2 DLC. After the Prince of Persia debacle, I want to be absolutely sure that the PC version will receive the same additional contents as the console versions. So is there anyone from Ubisoft around who can guarantee/promise that:

If there is DLC created for this game, will it be released for PC as well?

If I cannot get this guarantee, then I will not even bother buying the game. Simple as that...

PS: so any official reply (even a "no, we cannot guarantee that") will do.

Account_Deleted
08-27-2009, 03:04 AM
to me PC games are 90% are moddable, i don't see the point of DLC unless it's a pacth or a add on
* there's a diffrence, DLC= money, add on= free*

MinscTheHunter
08-27-2009, 03:50 AM
It's more and more common that DLC adds content to existing games (like additional items, additional quests, additional story lines, etc).
I have no problem at all with paying for that, what I have a problem with is not even getting the option to pay for it, when people who bought the same game on a console *do* get that option (as was the case with Ubi's Prince of Persia). If Ubi release a game for multiple platforms, they should also keep on supporting it equally on all those platforms. If I cannot get a guarantee that the PC version will get the same amount of support, then why buy it at all?

KZarr
08-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Account_Deleted:
to me PC games are 90% are moddable, i don't see the point of DLC unless it's a pacth or a add on
* there's a diffrence, DLC= money, add on= free*
Unfortunately I can't think of a single Ubi game that's mod able apart from changing skins. Maybe HAWX

Danvish
08-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Well, with the first AC, Ubi has released an upgraded version for the PC (9 missions instead of 5).

I don't think they'll simply release content to the consoles and then ask you to pay more for the same content to the pc (also, pc games are cheaper to make than console games).

DLC is usually added content, like what Account said. For that, they can and probably will ask you to pay more. Thought personaly I don't believe in this and think it's a bit rip off.

caswallawn_2k7
08-27-2009, 09:51 AM
danvish you missed the point of the post, it's not about paying more on PC it's about ubisoft in the past releasing DLC for the consoles only stopping any PC gamer who wants the extras from ever playing them.

Danvish
08-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Oh, my bad then.

Thanks Cas.

davethepaveway
08-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
danvish you missed the point of the post, it's not about paying more on PC it's about ubisoft in the past releasing DLC for the consoles only stopping any PC gamer who wants the extras from ever playing them.

yeah that is abit harsh but maybe its hard to change all the intel to suit PC's

4th Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment (fighting for my sig.)

Support our Troops

Danvish
08-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by davethepaveway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:

yeah that is abit harsh but maybe its hard to change all the intel to suit PC's

4th Battalion the Yorkshire Regiment (fighting for my sig.)

Support our Troops </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The code between the PC and the Xbox is not that different (both Microsoft based operating systems). And us PC players will sure buy it.
I guess it's because the piracy. I hate them.

caswallawn_2k7
08-27-2009, 01:21 PM
actualy the problem is ditribution more than converting, the Xbox 360 only runs a modified Version of Windows media centre so the code is more less identical.

but then you have the problem of distribution, the only 2 realy viable systems for distribution on windows is games for windows live or steam, so unless they incorperate one of these systems into the base game and security check (games for windows live requires a online CD key activation and I think we should all know steam) meaning without these systems they dont realy have a viable way to distribute the DLC.

altho there is a rumour going round that Ubi is working on a new security system for next year but it is also rumourd to be on some of the big titles at the back end of the year, so it is possible they may be adressing the distribution problems with the new security system.

MinscTheHunter
08-27-2009, 03:55 PM
There are more options than just Steam and Windows Live. Some other options:
* They could install an app on your PC which runs in the background and is required to run the digital content (like EAStore does it)
* They could require an active internet connection to verify and play the digital content (like Bioware did with their downloadable Neverwinter Nights adventures)
* They could have a talk with Bioware about how DLC is/will be handled for the upcoming Dragon Age: Origins game (which apparently no longer requires an active internet connection to play, only to install).

There are so many options. Not all of them are extremely user-friendly (like requiring an active internet connection), but all of them are better than simply denying PC users the DLC...

Danvish
08-28-2009, 04:02 AM
I disagree with you Minsc.

I rather them not to have any DLC for PC rather than have a bad mechanism that will only make the experience of trying to download it hidious.

I remember trying to activate Mass Effect, it was simply hell. Retrothinking, I have regreted I even bought the game.

MinscTheHunter
08-28-2009, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Danvish:
I disagree with you Minsc.

That's your good right. And I know there are indeed download options that make playing or activating the game feel like hell, but in my opinion, all the options I mentioned are not among those.

Originally posted by Danvish:
I remember trying to activate Mass Effect, it was simply hell. Retrothinking, I have regreted I even bought the game.

I didn't play Mass Effect, so I can't comment on that part. As for regretting to have bought the game... that's how I feel about Prince of Persia, not because it was a bad game, but because of Ubi's total lack of support of the PC version (and the decision to refuse PC gamers the extremely relevant DLC add-on). So even though AC2 looks great, unless Ubi are prepared to publicly commit to supporting the PC version, I am not prepared to go through that again, and I will not buy it.

MinscTheHunter
09-06-2009, 11:19 PM
I really wish the people from Ubisoft would take a little bit of time to reply to questions like this one.

For now I will have to assume that the complete lack of response means that Ubi is (once again) not willing to commit to supporting the PC version of the game in the same way that they will support the console versions. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Xanatos2007
09-06-2009, 11:45 PM
This forum is for the fan community to chat about game-related topics without outside influence, which is why you don't see Patrice or Jade cruising about. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

MinscTheHunter
09-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
This forum is for the fan community to chat about game-related topics without outside influence, which is why you don't see Patrice or Jade cruising about. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Hmm... then what forum should I post in where it does get read and answered by Ubisoft? I only see 2 AC forums, and the "Assassin's Creed Community Help and Advice" definitely doesn't look like the right one. I'm used to forums like those from Bioware and TheWitcher, where the community managers and developers do regularly answer concerns and questions. Does Ubisoft have anything like that?

Black_Widow9
09-07-2009, 03:32 PM
The problem is is that we don't comment on speculation so until we have confirmed information we don't really have any to give you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

KZarr
09-07-2009, 03:38 PM
You forgot to close the thread....

Azugo
09-08-2009, 02:42 AM
KZarr, maybe the thread isn't closed because it wasn't intended to be closed...

Anyway, back on topic, I'm not really one who plays games on the PC as you constantly have to update your hardware so it can manage and play the games smoothly. (I'm a PlayStation gamer.) But I fully agree with you guys that all companies who are releasing a multi-platformer game should give equally to each. (PS3. X360, PC.) I'm not sure if you can get DLC on the Wii though.

Maybe you PC gamers should start a petition for this then send it into Ubi before it's too late! (Too late being after the release of the game.) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

MinscTheHunter
09-08-2009, 03:43 AM
Unfortunately, in the case of Prince of Persia, such a petition didn't help one bit to change the minds of the people at Ubisoft. That's why I was hoping for a commitment from their side... I know there are plans for DLC, and I didn't think a conditional statement like "if there will ever be DLC for AC2, then we commit to releasing it for all platforms that the game itself is released on" would be seen as speculation.

As a result, I must assume that chances are big that once again, any DLC content released will only be released for the consoles. That's a real pity, as this leaves me with only one option: until I am proven wrong and I see DLC being released for the PC version, I will not buy AC2! I'll just go and play Dragon Age instead, which is fully supported on PC.

Minsc out.

kleaneasy
09-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by MinscTheHunter:
Sorry if this has been answered before... I searched and found a few threads on DLC, but nothing answering this question.

I read about the plans for AC2 DLC. After the Prince of Persia debacle, I want to be absolutely sure that the PC version will receive the same additional contents as the console versions. So is there anyone from Ubisoft around who can guarantee/promise that:

If there is DLC created for this game, will it be released for PC as well?

If I cannot get this guarantee, then I will not even bother buying the game. Simple as that...

PS: so any official reply (even a "no, we cannot guarantee that") will do.

I took this question to those in the know as I didn't know the answer myself.

The response was ............

"We havenít announced any DLC, but our team wants to provide an extensive support for our community after the launch. Right now they are focus on one objective only, delivering an amazing game for November 2009. It is way too early to make any kind of plans about DLC."

LaurenIsSoMosh
09-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by ms-kleaneasy:
"It is way too early to make any kind of plans about DLC." Or is it? (http://kotaku.com/5271439/avatar-new-splinter-cell-assassins-creed-to-get-dlc)

Some lines got tangled, perhaps?

Charlie_Romeo
09-08-2009, 02:56 PM
i wouldnt trust it they said Splinter Cell: Conviction would be out by the end of 2009

LaurenIsSoMosh
09-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Charlie_Romeo:
i wouldnt trust it they said Splinter Cell: Conviction would be out by the end of 2009 That's because that article was written a long, long time ago, alllllllllllll the way back in May. Which was before Splinter Cell was delayed to 2010.

And regardless of what Kotaku said about the release date, keep in mind that it was Ubisoft representatives who said there would be downloadable content for all three games.

caswallawn_2k7
09-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Romeo that just falls under the heading of "stuff happens"

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">this post is formatted as E rated for your enjoyment</pre> http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h204/psychokiller_photos/rolleye0012.gif

MinscTheHunter
09-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by ms-kleaneasy:
"We havenít announced any DLC, but our team wants to provide an extensive support for our community after the launch. Right now they are focus on one objective only, delivering an amazing game for November 2009. It is way too early to make any kind of plans about DLC."

Thanks a lot for the effort, ms-kleaneasy - I really do appreciate the work you put into this.
Unfortunately, this reply still reads to me as:

"At this time we cannot promise that we will support the PC version if DLC is released".

EmperorxZurg
09-08-2009, 11:02 PM
to me, it's like "We're busy go <span class="ev_code_RED">[...]edited</span> around until the game is out, THEN we'll think about it"

****edited - Let's not get carried away with bypassing the autocensor now, shall we

MinscTheHunter
09-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by d1sturbedme_468:
to me, it's like "We're busy go[....]around until the game is out, THEN we'll think about it"

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif not really. The statement indicates that DLC has not been announced yet, and that right now the release of the game itself (and supporting that in terms of bugfixes etc) is more important. Which implies that there are plans for DLC, but if any DLC gets released probably depends heavily on how well the game itself sells. No problems so far.

My only problem with this is that, given the very clear and direct question, the last part implies:
"No, we cannot promise that, if any DLC is released, it will be released on PC as well."

***quote edited

Sypron
09-09-2009, 06:11 AM
We know that it's possible to get additional pre-launch developed content for all consoles. I'm referring to the in game bonus maps for special edition. GRANTED; these will most likely be delivered on the disc. But it does indicate that the PC build of the game will have the capacity to accept add-on features. This means that anyone who has AC2 on their computer has the potential to install DLC if it is provided.

So, that's technical hurdle number 1 cleared. Number 2 would be how to distribute it. Another method not yet considered is releasing content on retail discs. There is a problem with this however; the DLC will likely not be substantial enough to warrant a separate release, as the profit margin would be far too low.

I think Fallout 3 is a good example of some good and bad ways to do DLC. For example, Bethesda attempted to deliver the DLC through Xbox Live and GFWL. This worked to an extent. Anyone willing to use the GFWL tool and lived in a GFWL country could get the content with relatively little hassle. A lot of people for some reason won't touch the software on the grounds that the process is complicated and annoying. Personally, I don't mind putting up with horrible software for a few minutes so I can get my hands on some DLC (I have to put up with using Macs at uni, GFWL doesn't scare me). After purchasing the content it downloads and installs itself, and the game recognises it and loads it for you. The good thing about GFWL is it allows the developers to treat the PC the same way it treats the consoles, and also makes it easy to upload sequential DLC.

LaurenIsSoMosh
09-14-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't mean to pester you, Ms Klean, but I'm entirely confused here.

It has been my assumption for a solid four months now that there will be DLC released for Assassin's Creed II, ConViction, and Avatar at launch, and knowing the readership of Kotaku, many thousands of others probably assumed this as well. And Ubisoft, to my knowledge, has never since retracted those statements or denied them.

Needless to say, your post to the contrary left me surprised and confused. If you could clear this up for me, and on ConViction as well if at all possible, I would very much appreciate it.

Basically, I'd just like to know if there are no plans, or if there are no current plans. In other words, if these games are being designed to accommodate future add-ons or if they're not.

kleaneasy
09-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by LaurenIsSoMosh:
I don't mean to pester you, Ms Klean, but I'm entirely confused here.

It has been my assumption for a solid four months now that there will be DLC released for Assassin's Creed II, ConViction, and Avatar at launch, and knowing the readership of Kotaku, many thousands of others probably assumed this as well. And Ubisoft, to my knowledge, has never since retracted those statements or denied them.

Needless to say, your post to the contrary left me surprised and confused. If you could clear this up for me, and on ConViction as well if at all possible, I would very much appreciate it.

Basically, I'd just like to know if there are no plans, or if there are no current plans. In other words, if these games are being designed to accommodate future add-ons or if they're not.

Where did my post say there wouldnít be additional content?

What it did say was that at this time thereís been no firm/ official announcement of additional content in AC2 and itís too early to provide one.

caswallawn_2k7
09-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Ms K since we are to believe all the extras from the special editions will be released to all latter (most likely through a digital store) this would imply that to get them in the first place for the special editions you would need to download a DLC, now in Europe the black is coming to all 3 formats so does that mean that there will be a DLC for PC or will it just have a generic unlock code that is the same for all?

kleaneasy
09-22-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure about that caswallawn, I'll see what I can find out http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LaurenIsSoMosh
09-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Well, that's exactly what has me confused. The article implied that what was spoken by the Ubisoft representatives was official, and, on the other hand, your post implies that it is not.

I believe your source to be the correct one considering it's straight from development and not representation, however that stumps me further and is more to the point of my inquiry.

Downloadable content is a very potential way to make a profit in today's market, and it's an entirely understandable business tactic to plan for add-ons ahead of time.

I have no idea if I'm being clear or not, so here's an example: the recently released Shadow Complex's head honcho Donald Mustard said that there were no plans for downloadable content at the point of release. However, he also said that the game was designed with add-ons in mind, that it went through concept and development in a way that would make adding onto it much easier and higher in quality.

Likewise, from what you have told us, the developers have no plans for AC II downloadable content at this point. And I'm simply wondering if it's being designed to accommodate add-ons or not, regardless of plans.

MinscTheHunter
09-23-2009, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by LaurenIsSoMosh:
Likewise, from what you have told us, the developers have no plans for AC II downloadable content at this point. And I'm simply wondering if it's being designed to accommodate add-ons or not, regardless of plans.

I feel I'm talking in circles here... see my reply above (from September 8)...

I think it's safe to assume that addons are indeed planned, and that the game itself is ready for them. The question is, is Ubisoft ready (and willing) to distribute these add-ons on all platforms?