PDA

View Full Version : Almost there - 2 big items still to fix

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 08:21 PM
First of all, excellent work on the latest patch. While there are still some niggles on specifics issues, I present these two items which forever remain to annoy me. Although they may have already been covered somewhere in the past, I raise them again for attention for action in the next patch.

1. Head-on Collision. This wouldn't be so bad, except that 99 out of 100 times my wing snaps off while the opponent tends to fly away relatively uninjured. In reality, both planes should suffer catastrophic flight characteristics or structure failure. And yes, the type of planes involved does not seem to change the statistics.

2. Me-262 Engine Fires. Well, either its a bad bug or some guys fly these things real well and have a dozen fire extinguishers onboard. I have set the same 262 opponent's engine ablaze many times - I've counted 8 so far (4 by me, 4 by his reapplication of throttle) only to have him extinguish the fire each time and continue to fly around like both engines are running near perfect. Argh

My 2 cents.

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 08:21 PM
First of all, excellent work on the latest patch. While there are still some niggles on specifics issues, I present these two items which forever remain to annoy me. Although they may have already been covered somewhere in the past, I raise them again for attention for action in the next patch.

1. Head-on Collision. This wouldn't be so bad, except that 99 out of 100 times my wing snaps off while the opponent tends to fly away relatively uninjured. In reality, both planes should suffer catastrophic flight characteristics or structure failure. And yes, the type of planes involved does not seem to change the statistics.

2. Me-262 Engine Fires. Well, either its a bad bug or some guys fly these things real well and have a dozen fire extinguishers onboard. I have set the same 262 opponent's engine ablaze many times - I've counted 8 so far (4 by me, 4 by his reapplication of throttle) only to have him extinguish the fire each time and continue to fly around like both engines are running near perfect. Argh

My 2 cents.

XyZspineZyX
09-24-2003, 07:43 AM
Hi ISU-152,

1. Are you seeing this behaviour online or offline? I only play offline, these days, and I haven't seen this occuring. The only times I end up in catastrophic collisions where one plane loses a wing and the other keeps flying, is when two planes clip each other with ones wing hitting anothers rudder/tailplane. The rudder gets torn off one plane, but that's not enough damage to make it fall out of the sky unless they get into a spin.

2. Again, is this vs the AI? Sometimes if an engine is spooled down and switched off immediately, or if the plane is put into a high speed dive, fires will go out. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't re-start when the airflow drops again or if the engine is revved up. I'm guessing the AI know how to do this, though as you mention it's odd to see them travelling almost at full clip after it happens.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/worker_parasite.jpg

Need help with NewView? Read this thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=yzbcj)

XyZspineZyX
09-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Affirmative on the head-on collision.I played for 4 hrs online tonight,and it happened to me twice,once in my favor,the other one in my opponent's.In the first case,i didn't fire a single shot at the guy-we collided,he went down,and i was literally UNSCRATCHED!

XyZspineZyX
09-24-2003, 10:08 AM
von_SchTiRLiTZ wrote:
- Affirmative on the head-on collision.I played for 4
- hrs online tonight,and it happened to me twice,once
- in my favor,the other one in my opponent's.In the
- first case,i didn't fire a single shot at the guy-we
- collided,he went down,and i was literally
- UNSCRATCHED!
-
-

It is lag, there is nothing that Oleg or anybody else can do to it. As long as there aren't optical cables for internet connections for every household it will happen.

-jippo

XyZspineZyX
09-24-2003, 01:05 PM
If vS saw the collision at his end then is it lag? Lag might prevent one end from seeing what the other sees and so escape collision at that end but if the client software sees a collision then at least there should be a collision on that end! Therefore, lag is a poor explanation in such a case.

Neal

XyZspineZyX
09-24-2003, 02:55 PM
The collision event happens online or offline. The Me262 event is online only (AI's are dumber).

Lag does not explain the wing-to-wing collision resultant, nor should have anything to do with it. When wings collide, generally one wing (usually mine) snaps off while the other stays on. There's a bug somewhere.

If a jet engine catches fire DUE TO DAMAGE, performance degradation of that engine should remain afterwards. If you extinguish the fire (which was merely leaking and burning fuel) and then restart - well guess what, you are re-introducing the leaking fuel to an already critical area. Add combustion or a re-light and you should probably catch on fire again, if not explode. Firstly, no one in real life restarts a burning engine that was caused by damage. Secondly, if you did and by luck got away with it, some type of ill after-effect should still remain.

XyZspineZyX
09-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Lag explains nearly all weird accidents that happen online. Planes can be slightly in different places (especially head-on collision, it is a matter of a fraction of a second) and because not everything is in sync one plane can be damaged while the other one not.

I have for example flown through control tower during take-off in such way, that it clipped my elevator of but didn't damage the plane otherwise, even though the wing went straight through the tower as well. There was just a millisecond of stutter or lag just when the wing should have hit the tower and the game missed it. But the next moment stutter was gone and computer noticed how my elevator hit the tower and DM caused it to be ripped off.

Think about lag. If it is nice, about 250ms for both, there is actually half a second delay (250ms + 250ms = 500ms = 0.5s) between you and the guy you are flying with provided he is not the host. If the ping is 1000ms, you can count... In that half a second time planes move a long distance and just the slightest unsync may cause the program to miss the collision on one end.

You don't have to believe me, but that is the story online.

-jippo

XyZspineZyX
09-24-2003, 04:30 PM
Sounds valid Jippo, but it doesn't explain how the same thing can happen in solo play. So there is more to it than lag.

XyZspineZyX
09-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Hi ISU-152,

I honestly haven't ever seen this happen in single player, myself.

It might be worth using CTRL-F2 to look at the plane you've clipped and see if you've traded a rudder for a wing with them.

The next time this happens to you, when you quit the mission, there'll be an option there to "save track". Save the track, zip it, host it, and Oleg and the rest of us can take a look and see if there's really a bug there.

If you don't have hosting available I probably still have some space left for it.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/worker_parasite.jpg

Need help with NewView? Read this thread. (http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=us_il2sturmovik_gd&id=yzbcj)