PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Pedals: CH or Saitek?

Schwarz.13
10-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Some of you might remember my RudderTutorial (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/6771028095?r=6771028095#6771028095) post from quite recently.

Basically, i still haven't ordered them due to cash flow but still plan to do so soon.

The thing is FlightStore (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/ch_pro_rudder_pedals_usb.pilot.supplies/use.id.5.item_id.285.dept.133.dept_l2.249.dept_l3. 0/) have just cut the price of CH pedals by 30 - therefore they now cost the same as Saitek pedals!

So i would like to know which are the better quality (i.e. best build quality/would last longer) but also the most realistic-feeling pedals for playing 1946, out of the two???

If someone has tried both i would like to hear their opinion...

Thanks

Urufu_Shinjiro
10-27-2007, 06:35 PM
I have the CH pedals and wish I could get the saiteks, of the posts I've read in which people have tried both the saiteks were preferred. They have a wider stance (the ch pedals are way too narrow) and variable resistance.

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-27-2007, 07:58 PM
CH. They're cheaper, sturdier and recognized in CH's COntrol Manager software. Mine have lasted over 5 years with almost daily use and haven't skipped a beat. That means alot to me.

Bearcat99
10-27-2007, 08:08 PM
I have both... and I prefer the Saiteks... wider stance smoother action.. The Saitek SST software is good... I dont know if it is as versatile as the CH SW because all I ever had of CH was their pedals... but I use a Saitek X-45/MSFFB2/Saitek Pedals set up.. so I use the SST software for the X-45.. and it is very versatile...

Dont get me wrong.. CH makes good stuff.... but there was a time when CH was the top dog on the block.... That is not the case. When it comes to bang for the buck you cant beat Saitek.

Dagnabit
10-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Saitek has apparently dropped the price on their pedals too from $150.00 to $120.00 good stuff.

http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/fligcon.html
also reconditioned for $79.00

http://saitekusa.stores.yahoo.net/recprod.html
Good luck
Dag

Maico_249th
10-28-2007, 03:21 AM
After about 3 years my CH Pro USB developed a spike that I could not live with. I opted for another set as the Saiteks were not on the market yet. However I wish I had the Saiteks. Heard nothing but good things from them.

SithSpeeder
10-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I have both... and I prefer the Saiteks... wider stance smoother action.. The Saitek SST software is good... I dont know if it is as versatile as the CH SW because all I ever had of CH was their pedals... but I use a Saitek X-45/MSFFB2/Saitek Pedals set up.. so I use the SST software for the X-45.. and it is very versatile...

Dont get me wrong.. CH makes good stuff.... but there was a time when CH was the top dog on the block.... That is not the case. When it comes to bang for the buck you cant beat Saitek. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif
I, too, have both. The CH rudder pedals gave me years of great service. But I got a good deal on a pair of gently used Saitek pedals from a squadmate. The Saitek pedals feel better due to wideness, better ergonomics (adjustable pedal length), and great software support.

YMMV.

* _54th_Speeder *

WOLFMondo
10-29-2007, 04:05 AM
I want to see peoples responses after a couple of years of having Saitek pedals. CH ones will still be going but having had plenty of Saitek sticks over the years I'd be surprised if there pedals made it past a year of use.

Bearcat99
10-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Maico_249th:
After about 3 years my CH Pro USB developed a spike that I could not live with. I opted for another set as the Saiteks were not on the market yet. However I wish I had the Saiteks. Heard nothing but good things from them.

That was why I got a new set...

Go to GoGamer and get a brand new Saitek set for $99.99.. GoGamer Saitek sale (http://www.gogamer.com/Saitek-X52-Pro-Flight-Control-System-Accessories_stcVVproductId8283071VVcatId451798VVvi ewprod.htm)

buzzsaw1939
10-29-2007, 08:03 AM
My Saitek is holding up pretty good, the only thing I have a complaint about, is the responce time, wrote them, they wrote back same day, (thats good support in my book), they said sorry, no way to speed them up.

I haven't heard anyone mention this, so thought I would!

Ernst_Rohr
10-29-2007, 08:49 AM
I have had both CH and Saitek, and I currently run a mixed CH/Saitek setup.

My CH pedals lasted for years before finally giving up the ghost, but I hated how narrow they were. They definitely were worth what I paid for, and I certainly got my moneys worth from them.

I decided to try the Saitek pedals after trying their HOTAS, and I have been really impressed with them. They are DEFINITELY more comfortable than the CH pedals. As far as response times, I have not noticed any difference between the Saitek or the CH.

As far as durability, I think they are about the same. Both units are pretty heavily built and solid.

Its hard to fault the Saitek pedals, I think they are the best on the market right now.

Just IMO the best setup on the market right now;
Pedals = Saitek
Throttle = Saitek
Stick = CH
MFP = CH

BrotherVoodoo
10-29-2007, 09:29 AM
The CH pedals are definatly more durable IMO. I have both Saiteks and CH. My Saiteks lasted about 6 months before breaking. They did send me replacement parts but have not had the inclination to break them open yet. My CH pedals have lasted a good 6 years now and still going strong. As far as "feel" goes I actually do prefer the saiteks, I just wish they were better made.

Hrannar
11-02-2007, 10:08 PM
There is one thing that I don't understand about the complain that CH Pedals being too narrow. So the problem must be:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>A: You got thighs of same diameter as 200 year old oak tree
<LI>B: You got balls about the size of a basketball
[/list]

For me its just to kick off the slippers and then my feet rest comfortably on the pedals.

Lehnert
11-03-2007, 04:55 AM
... or you are a man with 1,94 m from feet to hair and have all parts in scale like me.

Cheers Gerhard

Originally posted by Hrannar:
There is one thing that I don't understand about the complain that CH Pedals being too narrow. So the problem must be:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>A: You got thighs of same diameter as 200 year old oak tree
<LI>B: You got balls about the size of a basketball
[/list]

For me its just to kick off the slippers and then my feet rest comfortably on the pedals.

-HH- Beebop
11-03-2007, 05:25 AM
Tried both, prefer and own the Saiteks. (that's an especially good price at GoGamer's, $99!!!)

The CH pedals were excellent quality but too narrow for me. Not a bad thing though if space is at a premium. The Saiteks have adjustable tension which is a nice feature.

As for them breaking I'd say the same thing that I do when this is brought up about their sticks....in my experience (X-45 and X-52) they hold up just fine if you don't slam them around.

2 kopecks worth from me.

mortoma
11-03-2007, 12:56 PM
CH pedals are belong to the best one, be sure. Because Oleg say they did, be sure.

I have had my set of Pro Pedals since about the time FB came out. Which was what, 2003?? Almost 4 years old and there's no problems, no even pot jitter. Narrow?? Well real aircraft rudder pedals are not too much wider.

mortoma
11-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
I have the CH pedals and wish I could get the saiteks, of the posts I've read in which people have tried both the saiteks were preferred. They have a wider stance (the ch pedals are way too narrow) and variable resistance. Variable resistance?? I hope they do because if potentiometers do not vary they do not work. Mine keep their calibration and everybody knows CH products use the best industrial grade potentiometers made. I ought to know something about this because I have worked in the electronic/electical field for almost 20 years now. Do you want me to teach you a class about potentiometers??

RAF_OldBuzzard
11-03-2007, 02:20 PM
He's refering to the fact that you can adjust how much force it takes to move the pedals.

RedToo
11-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Hi,

I can only comment on the CH pedals. I like them - a lot. They are very sturdy (use by me and my son and friends) and stay calibrated. Too close together - yes I have to agree that they are. I kick off my slippers and rest each foot half on and half off the outside edge of each. The Saiteks look good. If they had been out when I was buying I would have had a difficult choice.

RedToo

Billy_BigBoy
11-05-2007, 04:02 AM
Thanks for this post guys.
I have some money to spent and I'm planning to put it into a set of rudders. Probably it is going to be the Saitek.

Schwarz.13
11-05-2007, 05:46 AM
With regards to CH pedals being too close together - i thought a typical warbird, especially something like a bf109 with it's cramped cockpit, would have its pedals pretty close together.

Then i looked at this pic of the Flugwerk Dora cockpit:

http://www.pozefilm.de/L1000537.jpg

they actually seem quite far apart! So if the CH ones were further apart i would get them (due to build quality/longevity) but now i think i'll go with the Saiteks for sure...

GAU-8
11-05-2007, 07:08 PM
like one of the other posters has stated with thier problem, i too have a skewed set of CH pedals after 6 months of use. *but still have and use them daily after 3 years)
somewhere it has developed a nasty spike.i have tried cleaning them several times internally. no go.

years ago i would have recommended them, as they were the only real "mass market" pedal assembly. today not so. there are other alternatives theat give more bang for the buck.

Enforcer572005
11-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Ive had my old serial port (I know, I need to upgrade, so give me the money) CH pedals that i use with my CH F16 combat stick for a bit over 12 yrs, with about 9 yrs of almost intense use. They still work well and ive gotten use to the feel. Apparently either one will be a good choice.

Billy_BigBoy
11-21-2007, 02:54 AM
Weeeeeehhhhhhhhh!

Yesterdaynight I made my first real "rudder-added-kill". What a rush!
Flying on Skies of Fire with a Mitsubishi A6M I went head-on with another Zero.
The first pass I was able to hit something, judging at the trail it was a fueltank.
The next pass we were both a bit off and before I actualy realized I smashed the right pedal and put a couple of rounds on his starboard wing which eventualy snapped off.
Man, that felled good!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/Billy_BigBoy/rudder_kill.jpg

rnzoli
11-21-2007, 03:35 AM
There is actually a hardware mod for CH pedals, which gives greater separation. IIRC no need to take it apart, just a little handywork on the existing pedals

The RL pedal separation is also visible when looking down in-game cockpits. And no oak-tree legs nor baseball-sized balls, just a control column in between your legs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Plus the additional force you can exert with the greater pedal distance.

And yes, head-on slip shots are great fun. Once I shot down a Bf-109 with an IL-2, not on purpose though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif My aileron cables were shot away by AAA, so in order to aim I was pressing the left pedal to maximum (aim needs some leading due to side-slipping). All his bullets missed, and l took his engine out. Of course he asked me: how did you fly "so strange"? (At that time we didn't have those infamous IL-2 mods http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)