PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions...

Verty_
01-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi there, I've started playing IL-2 (the original one) and I have some questions about it...

First, whenever I try to join my wingmen ahead of me, they are much faster than me and I can never reach them, even at full throttle, which overheats my engine. I have to use autopilot which I don't want to use except for that reason and, with the AP on, the plane climbs faster, can go faster to reach my wingmen, all that without raising the engine temperature. How is that? I tried opening the radiator and adjusting the engine pitch but it doesn't do anything (I also used the vertical trim). I'm sure someone knows about this somehow... :/

Second, is there a place where you can find out about the different cockpits? I've been trying to figure out where the fuel gauge is for a couple of weeks now and can't... lots of other gauges I can't figure out too. Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Verty

tigertalon
01-21-2005, 12:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Verty_:
Hi there, I've started playing IL-2 (the original one) and I have some questions about it...

First, whenever I try to join my wingmen ahead of me, they are much faster than me and I can never reach them, even at full throttle, which overheats my engine. I have to use autopilot which I don't want to use except for that reason and, with the AP on, the plane climbs faster, can go faster to reach my wingmen, all that without raising the engine temperature. How is that? I tried opening the radiator and adjusting the engine pitch but it doesn't do anything (I also used the vertical trim). I'm sure someone knows about this somehow... :/

Second, is there a place where you can find out about the different cockpits? I've been trying to figure out where the fuel gauge is for a couple of weeks now and can't... lots of other gauges I can't figure out too. Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Verty <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Verty, and wellcome to the board.

About the second question: I don't know about original Il2 sturmovik, but with Forgotten Battles you got a manual, in which there was a picture for every gauge on German, Russian and US planes.
And also, if you are searching a gauge for speed, it will probably have sth like Kph or km/h or mph written on it. And a gauge for fuel sth like liter or gallons... And the speed gauge or the alt gauge will probably not show 0 when in the air... (well, maybe if it will be the last thing it shows http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Fuel gauge in which aircraft specifically?

Udidtoo
01-21-2005, 12:14 PM
http://www.310thvfs.com/AC_Panels.php

There are other good ones as well. The AI will always perform feats that we cannot match. Limitations in the game engine and all that.

Here's a free "cheat" if you will. If your flying at high altitudes and encounter enemy far below you, your ai mates can dive like rockets with no ill effects where as you on the other hand will shed your wings if you try and match them. Until you have learned how to loose altitude rapidly without destroying yourself, just hit that nice ai button and let him take you down to where the actions at. Don't turn it off though until you are below a reasonable speed or you will end up with jammed flaps. The ai can use them at speeds that will jam yours everytime.

I used to feel like a dirty little cheater when I used that until I got feed up with the engagement already being over or nearly so before I could get down to where the fight was taking place.

Welcom to your new habit.

icrash
01-21-2005, 12:15 PM
1) The AI can do stuff you can't, hence catch your wingman and not overheat. About the only way is to use the taxi-way and get in the air before they do. I still have problems with this and I have IL2/FB/AEP/PF combined.

2)IL2 should have come with a chart showing what the gauges look like, USSR, German, and US I believe. If I can find mine, I'll try to scan & post it. You also may search here and in the Pacific Fighters Forum. I thought I saw something about one of the squads posting cockpit layouts that told what was where in the 'pit for specific planes.
Welcome to the IL2 flight line.

FoolTrottel
01-21-2005, 12:48 PM
1) Let them take off and just follow them and keep your speed up. Do not try and climb with them!
Stay low and keep your speed up.
Later on, when they've reached their mission- height you can climb and join them
2) See these (Scans from IL-2 FB card)
Gauges #1 (http://server2.uploadit.org/files/FoolTrottel-Cockpit01.jpg) Gauges #2 (http://server3.uploadit.org/files/FoolTrottel-Cockpit02.jpg)

Tully__
01-21-2005, 04:09 PM
As FoolTrottel says, don't try to match both climb and speed of your flight leader at the same time. He'll be climbing/cruising at approximately 270-330km/h (depending a bit on aircraft type). Make sure you're significantly faster than he is before you even think about climbing, then keep your climb gentle enough that you don't slow down. Once you've caught up (your flight leader is directly overhead), you can increase your climb rate until your speed matches. Doing it this way you can be in formation in less than 5 minutes from takeoff in most missions.

Verty_
01-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Thank you for the answers, greatly appreciated!

Verty