PDA

View Full Version : I still don't get it - crappy protection system

Pr_Halios
11-20-2004, 03:04 PM
So, is it true you must uninstall every CD-burning software to play PF? I've heard that some people even had to uninstall Nero to make the game start! Nero for Pete's sake, what's wrong with it? It's the tool I use to make backups of my personnal data!

So, my question is: if you uninstall it, then lauch PF, can you at least reinstall Nero afterward, and PF will still launch??

I find that method of prohibiting the use of certain perfectly legitime software on the consumer's computer very objectionable (might say despicable). It's not even clearly indicated on the box. I'm quite disapointed with that. Once more, the honest buyer is the one bothered; others will have no problem finding a work around I guess.

XyZspineZyX
11-20-2004, 03:07 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hello,

Do not unnistall the software itself but only the virtual cd files...

Sensei.

Pr_Halios
11-20-2004, 03:14 PM
Looks like deleting only virtual drive or stuff like that doesn't always work, total uninstall of the program is needed sometimes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Athosd
11-20-2004, 04:27 PM
I have Nero installed - no issues with PF at all.

The prohibition enforced by the protection software is aimed at virtual CD software - not CD writing.

Hendley
11-20-2004, 04:46 PM
Yeah, I hate this stuff. For this and TW:R I had to remove Clone CD just to install the software. Thing is, I don't use Clone CD for my virtual drives, so making me delete it is pointless in the first place.

This whole "you must delete program x, y, and z from you computer before we let you install this program which you paid money for" trend is really worrisome and should be objected to at every opportunity.

And just in case there is any misunderstanding, I do think that software pirates should be strung up by the cajoonies...

Hunter82
11-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Clone cd does not work even without virtual drive installed http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif I use that for creating back up discs for system builds and have it installed on all my machines http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Spinnetti
11-20-2004, 05:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pr_Halios:
So, is it true you must uninstall every CD-burning software to play PF? I've heard that some people even had to uninstall Nero to make the game start! _Nero_ for Pete's sake, what's wrong with it? It's the tool I use to make backups of my personnal data!

So, my question is: if you uninstall it, then lauch PF, can you at least reinstall Nero afterward, and PF will still launch??

I find that method of prohibiting the use of certain perfectly legitime software on the consumer's computer very objectionable (might say despicable). It's not even clearly indicated on the box. I'm quite disapointed with that. Once more, the honest buyer is the one bothered; others will have no problem finding a work around I guess. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. No problems with either for me. I have nero and PF 3.01m... maybe some other issue?

Spinnetti
11-20-2004, 05:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hendley:
Yeah, I hate this stuff. For this and TW:R I had to remove Clone CD just to install the software. Thing is, I don't use Clone CD for my virtual drives, so making me delete it is pointless in the first place.

This whole "you must delete program x, y, and z from you computer before we let you install this program which you paid money for" trend is really worrisome and should be objected to at every opportunity.

And just in case there is any misunderstanding, I do think that software pirates should be strung up by the cajoonies... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, here's some counter perspective. I've had no problems with any of the IL-2's, but I had to get ("EDITED" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif Please dont make that mistake again.) That made me mad!

steve_v
11-20-2004, 05:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spinnetti:
Hmm. No problems with either for me. I have nero and PF 3.01m... maybe some other issue? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Same for me. I have Nero installed, and can use both 3.01 new launches, merged and stand alone. Also got a FPS increase with them.

KarmaT0Burn
11-20-2004, 06:31 PM
You might as well just delete this entire thread.

Pr_Halios
11-20-2004, 07:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KarmaT0Burn:
You might as well just delete this entire thread. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? And why? We are talking about a technical issue here. As for the method employed to deter piracy, I maintain it's bad bad bad. And I do believe that UBI should be aware of that, that's not good publicity, for an otherwise excellent product. I must confess that I almost passed on PF just because of that, so it's also in their interest to know that they're gonna miss some sales just because of that issue.

Well that's weird, I tried and cannot make it work with Nero (and only Nero) installed. So the problem might actually come frome something else, since some of you have no problem with Nero installed. Oh well, it wouldn't hurt to do a format anyway. Thanks for your replies guys.

steve_v
11-20-2004, 07:37 PM
If its been awhile, post your dxdiag in tech before the reformat. Theres a possibility it could be a hardware/driver problem.

Pr_Halios
11-20-2004, 09:18 PM
Oh, ok I see...

steve_v, thanks for the suggestion. The reformat is long overdue anyway. If I still have problems after I'll post in the tech forum.