02-14-2006, 06:04 AM
i tried to teach her flying but she is not able to control the joystick

any suggestion?

Philipscdrw
02-14-2006, 06:10 AM
MSPaint. They love it.

bogusheadbox
02-14-2006, 06:54 AM
Raaid. As she is only 6, you have to allow time for hand eye co-ordination. You can't expect a 6 yeah old to pick up flying. Hell even an adult has difficulty the first time they try.

Depending on what genre she likes. You may want to try a point and click adventure. Or maybe something like the sims. Should keep her going for while.

SOmething to keep the brain and imagination firing without involving twitch reflexes.

Freelancer-1
02-14-2006, 07:03 AM
I think that at six years old, any of the many online flash games will do. They are simple and colorful. And most important, Free.

There are some that even sneak a little learning into the fun!

As to flying I have to say that my son at six was having a hoot in IL2 on full easy settings. Now, at nine he has no problem holding his own on Hyperlobby. Although, he still needs to put the pedals on a milk crate to reach them.

I'll look up some links for fun flash games if you like, and post them.

Chef-Scott
02-14-2006, 07:14 AM
The best "game" for a 6 year old is to GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY, get a board game, read a book, color, make paper mache, learn to cook (my personal favorite http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif ). Not sitting in front of a computer screen, relying on "twitch reflexes".

Wild.Bill.Kelso
02-14-2006, 07:49 AM
If she can use a computer and mouse well, she might be able to play RollerCoaster Tycoon III. I got it for my 2 nieces, who are 7 & 8. I showed them and their dad how to play. Now he helps them if they need it.

Doug_Thompson
02-14-2006, 08:11 AM
Any of the Harry Potter ones will do.

There's a site called Gamerdad (http://www.gamerdad.com/detail.cfm?itemID=2999) that's helpful.

You'd be surprized what a kid can do. My kids have played "Age of Mythology" and "Warcraft" for a couple of years, and the youngest one's 8.

Another possibility is "The Movies," which I can't recommend or not because I don't own it. However, reviews say that it's one of the easiest movie-making pieces of software on the market and that you can skip the whole studio-mogul business game and just make the movies. I'll probably get it for my kids.

My kid's absolute favorite, by far, is about 10 years old and won't run on XP or Mac OS X. It's called "Orly's Draw a Story." It tells a story and you have to draw parts of it, which the program then animates.

I have four kids and every one of them loved it for years. My 11 year old and 8 year old still play it.

P.S. Found this site (http://support.riverdeep.net/fix.asp?isid=28507&prog=1294818669%5B/url) on the web, and will try its fix for Orly on XP.

Treetop64
02-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Some good games would be softball, football (soccer), running around the playground with other children, hide and seek, etc...

Freelancer-1
02-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Treetop and Chef-Scott,

Don't be such Ludites, I'm sure the little tad is not chained to the computer. Raaaid asked a simple question and dosen't need to be razzed for wanting to open doors for his niece.

Like it or not, good computer skills are an integral part of childhood these days and should be encouraged as part of a balanced play regimen.

My two cents,

Hawgdog
02-14-2006, 10:09 AM
My FOUR year old plays Cantemos en Espanol, blues clues, Muzzy, Pencil it software, I Spy, Jumpstart 1st grade, Jumpstart 2nd grade. I Spy is huge.

And I completely encourage the "go outside" routine.
Bad weather? Tons and tons of books and language games. I work on math, spelling etc.
DVD's of yoga for kids are better than games for that matter.

freelancer- who razzed raaid? me thinks you've become too sensitive. Time for you to go outside.

Chuck_Older
02-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Playing in the rain was my favorite. Well, that and 'muck the worms', but you have to play that a few hours after it stops raining

johann63
02-14-2006, 10:34 AM
pbskids.org has a lot of good kids games online. My 5 year old daughter enjoys them.

Freelancer-1
02-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Chuck_Older:
Playing in the rain was my favorite. Well, that and 'muck the worms', but you have to play that a few hours after it stops raining

Now that brings back memories. Those were the days. I remember mom wasn't too happy when my two brothers and I got home, though. Wash day would be a little early that week!

Chef-Scott
02-14-2006, 11:21 AM
I am not bashing children having good computer skills at all. My 4 year old has very good computer skills and he CAN fly most of the aircraft in IL-2 as well (landings are a different story though http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif).
In this day and age people are too quick to fall back on computers for "learning" and "education" with children. Children need to learn from people first. Children need more outside time, more social interaction with other children (not via the internet). There is an entire world out there waiting for children to discover, explore, touch, feel, taste, smell and see.
My biggest thrill is seeing just how simple things... like watching clouds change shape puts a sparkle in my little ones eye. And when we go kite flying, he has a blast. And for some reason my 4 year old loves to cook! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

HarlockGN
02-14-2006, 11:39 AM
If she has a Playstation 2 maybe you could try Ace combat 5 (ace Combat Squadron Leader in europe). It's pretty easy and colorful enough to fascinate even a small kid, even if unfortunately the best feature is the story, and maybe a 6 years old is a bit too young to understand such a deep and moving one.

Treetop64
02-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Freelancer-1:
Treetop and Chef-Scott,

Don't be such Ludites, I'm sure the little tad is not chained to the computer. Raaaid asked a simple question and dosen't need to be razzed for wanting to open doors for his niece.

Like it or not, good computer skills are an integral part of childhood these days and should be encouraged as part of a balanced play regimen.

My two cents,

I'm sorry, but I wasn't trying to be a, um, a "ludite" (what's a ludite, BTW?). http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I agree with your second paragraph, though, and I leaned heavily (as I tend to do) towards the physical end of that sentiment. No offense intended.

Wilburnator
02-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Buy her a book or a musical instrument. Keep her away from computers, lol.

jarink
02-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Just about anything from "The Learning Company" would probably be OK. They have several learning game series that are categorized by age or school grade.

My kids (4 and 5 yrs) love the Reader Rabbit series. They also love playing outside with the dog or riding their bikes. Computer games, like any other activity, is fine for kids when taken in moderation.

actionhank1786
02-15-2006, 01:47 AM
MAKE A FORT!
I know when i was a kid there was nothing better than being able to build a fort and hide out in it.
Plus it brings out their creative side.
It took a lot for my tiny brain to figure out how to get a 2nd floor in my fort.
God bless Chairs!

Airmail109
02-15-2006, 05:10 AM
I flew sims starting at the age of 7.....im 17 now.....

AustinPowers_
02-15-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Aimail101:

Prime example of why to keep your niece away from computers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

anasteksi
02-15-2006, 08:56 AM
try il2, warbirds or something else sim http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Airmail109
02-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by AustinPowers_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aimail101:

Prime example of why to keep your niece away from computers. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pffft Im perfectly normal i think, apart from the time I freaked my instructor out on my first flying lesson by landing the cessna...(he gave me that "your not supposed to be able to take off, do a circuit and land with minimal input from me on your FIRST lesson" look)

Doug_Thompson
02-15-2006, 12:02 PM
what's a ludite, BTW?

Luddites were the followers of a guy named Ned Ludd in England in the late 18th or early 19th century. Ludd and his followers would destroy early textile machines that knitted, because the machines put skilled knitters out of work. "Luddite" has become a term for someone who hates or opposes new technology.

RamsteinUSA
02-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Tonic Trouble is great for kids, but not sure if she is old enough for it. It took my daughter and me 2 years to complete, because it is very extenisive, and is challenging. I think you both will have a great time!

Treetop64
02-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Doug_Thompson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">what's a ludite, BTW?

Luddites were the followers of a guy named Ned Ludd in England in the late 18th or early 19th century. Ludd and his followers would destroy early textile machines that knitted, because the machines put skilled knitters out of work. "Luddite" has become a term for someone who hates or opposes new technology. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhhh...

Well, I certainly don't want to give the impression that I'm one of those people!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

MercilessFatBoy
02-15-2006, 12:51 PM
even tough i belivev all ur post are lame raaid... u shuld just allow her to play il2... my 6 year old friend can keep on the air no problem