PDA

View Full Version : Glitch in the program, do I need to reinstall? Please look at screenshot.

LoafOfBread
12-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi there,

I am noticing some strange behavior when it comes to tracers and their "smoke trails" particularly when flying a Bf109. I have attached a screenshot of a Bf109G-10 (although I have seen this happen with a G-6 as well) that will show you what I mean.

I am flying basically straight and level, and firing my nose machine guns. The tracer appears to go pretty much out of the nose, but the bullet smoke/exhaust appears ABOVE the plane about 6 feet. Note this is while flying straight and level. Is there some glitch in the program? Do I need to reinstall the game? Is there some setting that is messed up?

I am using a Radeon 9950 video card with standard drivers on a P4 2.4 gig machine. I have 2 gigs of ram.

I have installed 1946 and am on the 4.9beta patch.

http://korlon.com/temp/overhead.png

LoafOfBread
12-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Hi there,

I am noticing some strange behavior when it comes to tracers and their "smoke trails" particularly when flying a Bf109. I have attached a screenshot of a Bf109G-10 (although I have seen this happen with a G-6 as well) that will show you what I mean.

I am flying basically straight and level, and firing my nose machine guns. The tracer appears to go pretty much out of the nose, but the bullet smoke/exhaust appears ABOVE the plane about 6 feet. Note this is while flying straight and level. Is there some glitch in the program? Do I need to reinstall the game? Is there some setting that is messed up?

I am using a Radeon 9950 video card with standard drivers on a P4 2.4 gig machine. I have 2 gigs of ram.

I have installed 1946 and am on the 4.9beta patch.

http://korlon.com/temp/overhead.png

Duckmeister
12-17-2008, 01:54 PM
This is not a glitch, this is simple physics.

First off, your screenshot doesn't show anything, it's too far away, but I realize what you're saying.

The drag your plane creates sends small winds backwards from your plane. If you've ever been on a highway, or at a train station, and a car or train comes past, you feel that gust of wind, right?

Well, that also happens with airplanes. You see, the smoke that is created when you fire you bullets is going to hit that wind that is created by the drag of your plane, forcing it back, as it is no longer connected to your plane, and in most cases, up. The smoke being created at the middle of your plane, it hits the "curve" in the planes drag winds, because of the shape of the plane.

The cockpit is a curvature in the aerodynamic profile of your plane, forcing winds up and over it. The smoke is caught by the wind and goes up and behind.

This was kinda long, but I hope you read it, it's basic wind resistance stuff.

Uufflakke
12-17-2008, 02:05 PM
You are not the only one...
Some screenies of a Bf 109G-6 while using my nose cannon.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/Uufflakke/Trails-1.jpg

Freiwillige
12-17-2008, 03:49 PM
The rounds you are firing are not fired straight in the first place! They are fired at a slighty upwards angle. The 109 fly's slightly nose down so to compensate they angle the guns slightly upwards. Your gunsight is also veiwed at the matching angle. So as your bullets go out and up the smoke will still trail horizontally to their forward plane. No your game isnt broken http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

WTE_Galway
12-17-2008, 03:59 PM
another way of explaining it is that by the time you get to where the shells were the smoke has drifted up a bit

Freiwillige
12-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Uufflakke, Thats a beautifull skin! JG27?

FlatSpinMan
12-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Freiwillige
That skin is one of Captain farrel's I think. It's included in this mission (LINK AT TOP OF PAGE) (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5501069707/p/1) if you want it. I forget exactly but I think it's from JG1,5 or 11. Those are the ones I've been searching for.
I agree -it's sexy. I love the blue/grey on the sides of the fuselage.

Uufflakke
12-17-2008, 06:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freiwillige:
Uufflakke, Thats a beautifull skin! JG27? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know actually. Those skins came with FlatSpinMan's mission:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5501069707

Freiwillige
12-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Danke, Although my meager computer cannot play said mission I DL'd it for the skin.

FlatSpinMan
12-18-2008, 05:29 AM
That's a bummer. What specs do you have, BTW? I've got a bit of feedback that it is playable, but those people tend to have similar set ups to mine (I just upgraded about 6 months ago).
Anyway, enjoy Cpt.Farrel's marvellous work. That skin initially just seemed like any other grey scheme -nothing to capture the imagination -but then in the missions the subtle colouring of the greys and blues comes out. I'm using that as the player/ace skin for sure.

FourShades
12-18-2008, 08:30 PM
This is amazing. After all these years, people who have been posting on the forums hundreds of times still can't explain what gun convergence means.

Freiwillige got closest. The guns are angled to shoot upwards so that the bullets hit the reticle target at the convergence range. Remember, bullets drop due to gravity in flight, so if you want to hit the target, say, 300 m out, then you have to shoot UP a little so the bullets are going DOWN when they hit the target.

On the way UP, the bullets leave a smoke trail that is above the cockpit level, and you fly forwards, so you see the smoke trails above you. Eventually the smoke trail will drop below you as you fly forwards (if you are going straight and level).

Comments about drag and airstream direction are correct, but they are much smaller in size than gun convergence effects. The longer your convergence range, the higher the bullets have to go. Convergence also affects horizontal trajectories, so wing guns are angled inwards (towards the fuselage) more than nose guns. Both nose and wing guns are angled upwards and inwards.

Cheers,
4Shades

Freiwillige
12-18-2008, 09:03 PM
@Flatspinman

I have a AMD Sempron 2.8 running at 1607 MHz
756 megs of DDR memmory
and a GeForce 7300GT AGP W/512 Megs

I built it myself and it is tuned and peaked. It does fairly well in IL2 with everything maxed except landscape which I turn to medium to save a few FPS.

Yea its all a bit dated but it suites me fine.
Next up more ram as 2 Gigs of standard DDR can be had cheap.

Although I have not even tried your mission anything with more than a few (8 or less) heavies really gets my ol' box to stutter