PDA

View Full Version : Help for high ping rate

Flakenstien
01-26-2005, 03:14 AM
Hello

Can anyone give me some clues on how I may be able to lower my ping rate in HL?

I have a dial-up connection (DSL unavailable in my area) and have tried everything I can think of from lowering graphics quaility, shutting down all un-needed services and programs etc..
My rate averages around 350-480 with occasional spikes above 2,000! (or so the server tells me)

I'm at a loss, is this something I might be able to lower or am I stuck with it?
It makes it hard at times to fly and I know that it must interupt others enjoyment of flying online when someone like me joins a battle.

Your help is appreciated!

Tully__
01-26-2005, 03:38 AM
There are a number of factors that determine ping, but the 3 most important are:

1. Connection type and quality. If you only have dialup in your area there's not much you can do about that unless you have a choice of service providers and one provides substantially higher quality connection than the other.

2. Connection settings. I don't know of a specific site that I could recommend for dialup connection tweaks but this google search (http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=dialup+connection+tweak&btnG=Search&meta=) produced quite a few hits.

3. Distance between you and the host server. If you're in the US and you choose a server on another contninent, ping will be high. Try to aim for a server less than 1500 miles away. It can be hard to tell where they are, but pings are to some extent a good indication.

Even with a high ping you can get a good quality online experience in this game if your connection is not prone to dropping a lot of packets (losing data). In any even you should look for servers with low player number limits or small coop games for best performance on dialup.

HW3
01-26-2005, 05:15 AM
Your getting about the same ping I get for dial-up. That is the main reason I only fly with my squad on HL, I don't want to ruin other peoples games with my high ping. There really is not much you can do to change it, just stay in small rooms with 6-8 people or less and three green bars or more showing.

SeminoleX
01-26-2005, 08:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flakenstien:
Hello

Can anyone give me some clues on how I may be able to lower my ping rate in HL?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sad reality is that the only thing you can do to get a low ping is to move to an area that has better internet connections.

I live in a rural area and the first broadband we got was Cable. My ping went up http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif to 300-400 ms because one of the first hops out of here,to anywhere, went through a satellite router which destroyed the ping time.

Next,a couple of years later, we got fiber optic DSL and still my pings to most areas average 130-150 ms. Sometimes I get a low(er) ping in the 90's to some servers ...but not often.

You can tweak settings to improve the efficiency of packet transfer but as for actually lowering your ping you need to be where there are good connections available.

This site is for Broadband but you can learn a lot about how internet connections work:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks

If you ever do get broadband in your area (and you will eventually) the site keeps updated records of the best(and worst) connections available based on testing of visitors setups.

Good Luck.