PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me why I like ACB more than ACR....

Sarari
12-27-2011, 10:09 PM
So, I got ACB on my birthday last year which was Christmas and I beat it in 2 days. I thought that the story was very rushed and the city was very annoying with its colors.

In ACR, I thought that the story was a lot better, the gameplay was a lot better, it wasn't as rushed, and to top it all off, I just beat it 100% on EVERYTHING yesterday. It took almost 50 hours to do so (exactly a month), mostly because of free roaming.

Yet, after all this time with ACR, I still don't have the same feeling as I did with ACB. I hate ACB but every time I look back at me playing it I get a sad feeling and had so many more memories.

Can someone explain this to me??

naran6142
12-27-2011, 10:54 PM
maybe you just really love to hate ACB http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

gamertam
12-27-2011, 11:05 PM
My takes on ACR. I've said it before and i'll say it again. Playing Revelations felt distant. A different city, different characters and names i can't even began to try to announced. Istanbul though was nice, but it no compares to Florence/Venice or Rome. Although it was emotional that Ezio interacted with Sophia. The one and only character looks familiar and had known from previous title or was it from dlc. I did get chocked up a bit to be honest. It hadn't the same attachment i experienced i'd in AC2&Brotherhood.

Going out on a limb here and say, ACR felt less of AC game from other but certainly not all bad in my takes. One example would be Halo Wars or ODST. It didn't felt right somehow i guess.

Sarari
12-27-2011, 11:58 PM
I get what you mean when you say it feels distant. I think it was a big jump for Ezio to go from Rome to Istanbul, or even Masyaf. They sorta made him a little to adventurous.

Assassin_M
12-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Sarari:
I get what you mean when you say it feels distant. I think it was a big jump for Ezio to go from Rome to Istanbul, or even Masyaf. They sorta made him a little to adventurous.
It only increased his epicness..

ProdiGurl
12-28-2011, 04:11 AM
Gamertam:
Going out on a limb here and say, ACR felt less of AC game from other but certainly not all bad in my takes. One example would be Halo Wars or ODST. It didn't felt right somehow i guess.

I know what you mean about the Halo thing. That first game I played was epic . . the feeling I got from it was amazing, but it never happened again in any installment after it.

I think it was just me - not so much anything Halo did wrong. I left the series after the 2nd game. I don't know how or why that happens - it just does sometimes.
I keep thinking it's the newness of something that we love. ?

Sarari:
Yet, after all this time with ACR, I still don't have the same feeling as I did with ACB. I hate ACB but every time I look back at me playing it I get a sad feeling and had so many more memories.

I know what you mean about the memories thing

Limed_-
12-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Nostalgia.

ProdiGurl
12-28-2011, 05:39 AM
yes

Sarari
12-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Yea that's the word. I bet in a year of even 2 I'm gonna look back at ACR and say that was an amazing game.

value_zero
12-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Topic about feelings over a game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif its full with psychologists in this forum to put you straight in the frame.

lukaszep
12-28-2011, 01:01 PM

But he's meant to be travelling. On a pilgrimage.

The more i play AC:R the more i love it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

ChaosxNetwork
12-28-2011, 02:15 PM
I believe what you are saying is, well impossible.
Don't get me wrong I loved Brotherhood, but in my opinion Revelations is better in EVERY Way

wanabgeek
12-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I have not played it much as I got into the MP which in all honesty is driving me nuts with all the bugs but, one thing I am not liking about AC:R is the map in Istanbul, a bit too dark. I also really liked Rome, it just seemed so bright and breezy whilst Istanbul seems dark. I am giving up on the MP for a bit and will go back to singleplayer and AC:B MP as well.

GeneralTrumbo
12-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Quit lying to yourself.

De Filosoof
12-28-2011, 04:21 PM
I liked the ending of brotherhood more.
First running with Desmond through the colosseum, Jumping into the same haystack Ezio jumped in. The nice church with the beautiful art work on the ceiling and walls with Juno talking to you and apearing everywhere around you, and finally the epic ending with Juno talking all kinds of cryptic stuff and Desmond stabbing Lucy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

PurpleHaze1980
12-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Lack of memorable characters, and the whole finality of the game (too much focus on regrets and old age in particular) was really a mood killer for me. I like that Ezio made it through one last adventure but I didn't like the Alta´r storyline. It made Alta´r seem a bit one dimensional and depressed me that his story ended the way it did.

I missed Leonardo, La Volpe, and Machiavelli even though I understand their absence. I also missed the humour although Ezio in tights and singing ballads was mildly amusing.

The game just lacked what brotherhood had for me even if the gameplay was way better.

ProdiGurl
12-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by wanabgeek:
I have not played it much as I got into the MP which in all honesty is driving me nuts with all the bugs but, one thing I am not liking about AC:R is the map in Istanbul, a bit too dark. I also really liked Rome, it just seemed so bright and breezy whilst Istanbul seems dark. I am giving up on the MP for a bit and will go back to singleplayer and AC:B MP as well.

Alot of maps are hard for me to read - same with text - ACR's is dark. It's more detailed, but ACB's was just easier to read & I prefer the Rome graphics too. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

I like ACB & ACR almost equally - it would take a really exceptional AC to beat ACB in my book.

D.I.D.
12-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Lack of fear, mystery, and relevant story.

There's no fear in Revelations. Assassin's Creed used to be great at pit-of-the-stomach tension, and it will be again, but Revelations didn't have it. As I've said before, it's completely different to see a character leap and grab a ledge with his or her fingertips than it is to see a mechanical claw do it. Your brain knew the grab was guaranteed. You could fall further, you had too many parachutes too early.

ACB had a more extreme approach to don't-be-spotted missions, and gave you lots of gut-churning high-altitude climbing around to do in the mission, while trying not to be spotted.

The only thing close to a fear response in ACR is the fear that the captains would successfully run away before you caught them, in which case you'd have to wait a day to try again, or the mild anxiety of possibly failing a mission which would mean you'd have to sit through that damn walking cutscene again. Not really the same.

The layered mystery and cleverness surrounding the puzzles of the previous games is gone. All that religious significance and political history evaporated, and in its place you got some tripe about a previous generation of humanity with its Under Armor on the outside.

ACR's main story is tangential to Ezio's quest, so it means even less to me. We know there are cities all over the world in the same political situation, but presumably tougher than the one in Constantinople. The local assassins are having a pretty easy time of it, and the story does little to add any urgency or momentum to your advancement of the story. Ezio is uncommonly angry with [spoilers? I'll say 'someone'] someone whose worst crime is to try and kill him under orders (which everybody has been doing all his life), and is oddly calm about other people later on. It's all over the place, and a bit damp. For all of its pantomime aspects, ACB was much better.

Last year simply had much better games. Arkham City runs rings around ACR, and Portal 2 killed it for story, intelligence and dialogue. They've got to try harder.

JumpInTheFire13
12-28-2011, 06:50 PM
So, I got ACB on my birthday last year which was Christmas and I beat it in 2 days. I thought that the story was very rushed and the city was very annoying with its colors.

In ACR, I thought that the story was a lot better, the gameplay was a lot better, it wasn't as rushed, and to top it all off, I just beat it 100% on EVERYTHING yesterday. It took almost 50 hours to do so (exactly a month), mostly because of free roaming.

Can someone explain this to me??

Because Brotherhood still had a bit of mystery to it. And Rome was bigger and more diverse than Constantinople. And the music was better. And Ezio's robes were sick. And he didn't look like a gorilla.

ProdiGurl
12-29-2011, 03:00 AM
There is no doubt that the Story/Writing and game length are an issue in ACR.
But where it lacks in those areas, it excels in gameplay imo.

Gameplay to me is more important than a lacking story. If I cared more about story I'd be reading the book.

D.I.D.
12-29-2011, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by ProdiGurl:
There is no doubt that the Story/Writing and game length are an issue in ACR.
But where it lacks in those areas, it excels in gameplay imo.

Gameplay to me is more important than a lacking story. If I cared more about story I'd be reading the book.

Are you sure it's the gameplay though? Honestly, for all the reasons I pointed out above and more, the gameplay was far better in ACB. I think that pro-ACR positivity marathon thread is going to backfire considerably, because ACR is going to stick out like a sore thumb against the others. Bombs aren't a gameplay revolution at all - they're just tipping an unfair fight even further in your favour. And how many bomb missions were simply "Stand here. Throw bomb. Now throw bomb again. Well done, have 100% sync". Gameplay, seriously?

Something I'm noticing is that people who love ACR are the same people who couldn't complete the Cluster/Truth puzzles in past ACs and found the fighting difficult.

I think there's a problem of game journalism here as well, because the past few years of internet statistics collation have given us headlines that "[Company X] admits only 45% of customers completed [Game Y]" - like it's somehow shameful, and then Company X pledges to make the sequel to Game Y "more forgiving" than its predecessor. In the past, it was expected that most players (probably fewer than 45%) would ever reach the end, and that was fine and good. I've stopped to admire the architecture and fallen off high ledges in ACR's tombs on repeat playthroughs, during runs where I just wanted to wander through without 100% sync, and still beat the time easily. It's very noticeable that Ubisoft is pandering towards the lowest level of ability and intelligence to make those people feel good about themselves.

luckyto
12-29-2011, 08:51 AM
I think that free-roaming in ACR suffers for three key reasons.

One, the combat isn't great. The combat is more balanced than ACB, but it is not as fun. The way they balanced it (with Janissaries just stepping back and shooting you) is lame. At least you can get into a knife fight in ACB, even if it is short-lived. If they would get rid of these damn archetypes and go back to timing combos like the first AC or Batman; then they'd be good. But Ubi refuses to let go of mistaken direction. Guards who just step back and shoot you and counter most every attack do not, fun gameplay, make. In trying to fix one serious problem (unbalanced combat), they broke something else.

Plus, Ezio's controls are glitchy and not nearly as smooth as all previous titles.

AND, last but not least, every time you do anything; you are constantly struggling with that Awareness meter. A good idea, but it is so sensitive that it requires constant monitoring. Spend a half hour causing chaos and you have to deal with Den Defense.

The combination of these three elements are a severe detriment to free-roaming. If free-roaming is your thing - and it sounds like it is --- then that would be why. It's my favorite part of an AC game, and the main reason why I'll be replaying this title less... even though I think this game is a HUGE leap forwards over Brotherhood.

-----------------------
DoubleClickTF, I agree with you on most of those points. But I would probably argue you over which was worse; because Brotherhood's story is far worse. And yes, Batman runs circles around ACR. Though, I can't say it is for story as much for gameplay. The combat in Batman is easy to learn, but difficult to master - and yet simple. It is built almost exclusively around attack and counter -- but requires timing to excel, and is infinitely more fun --- even when button mashing --- than anything in ACR. It reminds me of the original AC.

fyiByas
12-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by luckyto:
I think that free-roaming in ACR suffers for three key reasons.

One, the combat isn't great. The combat is more balanced than ACB, but it is not as fun. The way they balanced it (with Janissaries just stepping back and shooting you) is lame. At least you can get into a knife fight in ACB, even if it is short-lived. If they would get rid of these damn archetypes and go back to timing combos like the first AC or Batman; then they'd be good. But Ubi refuses to let go of mistaken direction. Guards who just step back and shoot you and counter most every attack do not, fun gameplay, make. In trying to fix one serious problem (unbalanced combat), they broke something else.

Plus, Ezio's controls are glitchy and not nearly as smooth as all previous titles.

AND, last but not least, every time you do anything; you are constantly struggling with that Awareness meter. A good idea, but it is so sensitive that it requires constant monitoring. Spend a half hour causing chaos and you have to deal with Den Defense.

The combination of these three elements are a severe detriment to free-roaming. If free-roaming is your thing - and it sounds like it is --- then that would be why. It's my favorite part of an AC game, and the main reason why I'll be replaying this title less... even though I think this game is a HUGE leap forwards over Brotherhood.
Agreed +1