PDA

View Full Version : Can this be right?

der--Drache
04-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Its my 4th patrol, and I've managed to get my hands on a shiny new type VII-B.

But...

I had such an increased range that I was able to hang around Aberdeen (AN18) for what seemed like ages and pick off cargo ships at will. It was so easy that I'm concerned something was wrong!

I didn't even need to work out a firing solution for my targets as they were alone and i could easily get close enough to hit them by judging it all by eye and range from my WO. I didn't even need to attack at periscope depth - i just sailed up to them on the surface and took them down.

The only warship I saw was small and I was able to destroy it with my deck gun.

All in all i clocked up 30,291 tonnes of cargo and 530 tonnes of warship.

Surely I should have been threatened by more warships and / or planes when I was spotted by the cargo ships so close to UK shores?

Its very early on in the war still i know (Jan 1940) but i have to say this was disappointingly easy! (even on 82% realism)

Is this ok or do you think the AI is awry, so to speak?

Blue_Ninja63
04-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Are you using just the stock game patched to 1.4b as it is easy to take out ships with this setup.

I recommend IUB103 at the moment as that's what I'm testing for the next little while and have found you can't get that close without them trying to ram you at least once. Also, planes don't show up if you're outside their range for a given year..Just look at your map that comes with the game it shows the range bands. I will be trying the Grey Wolves mod..which is reported to be difficult. So it all depends on your taste.

Regards,

lecek
04-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Also don't forget that you are in Happy Times. They don't call it that for nothing.

der--Drache
04-12-2006, 04:56 PM
yep I'm using IUB 103. No one tried to ram me though.

I figured it might be because of the Happy Times. I'll keep on and see what happens.

I've read so many good accounts on this forum I'm pretty convinced I've got some tougher times ahead!

Pls let me know if anyone else has found this in the opening few missions, as its always good to have peace of mind this way!

Oulush
04-12-2006, 07:39 PM
I think IUB45 is the best option so far. I haven't tried the grey wolves mod yet, but IUB45 is keeping me real busy. Especially with the realistic periscope view, it is almost impossible to get the correct range calculations.

Silva_Bullet
04-13-2006, 01:05 AM
Similar stuff happening here... Feb, 1940, and the pickins are GOOOOD. I'm not complaining, though... this is my fourth or fifth career, and I know what's coming in the later years. So, best to rack up the tonnage while you can.

der--Drache
04-13-2006, 03:19 AM
really glad to know that others have found the same thing, and that I've got tough times on the horizon.

I'll take the tonnage while its on offer, get myself a reputation back in Nazi HQ as The Daddy (or Der Vati, I should say) and get all the foxy nurses before my luck runs out!

BueJack
04-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Stock game is a bit .. boring
I haven't used IUB, as I'm on a RuB1.45 career at the moment. I wouldn't dream of trying that with RuB.
The Brits are not really friendly folk towards the U-Boats...cannot think why, after all we have offered them decent 'occupation terms'. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

It also depends on your 'Reality settings'. When I first started playing SH3, I could virtually surface ram a BB without them 'seeing' me.

Go 100% reality, and try again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif