PDA

View Full Version : Gunnery with heavy cannons

cueceleches
11-02-2004, 04:55 AM
Hi!

I recently started two campaigns with a P63 and a 109 G6 Late, one with the 37 mm cannon and the other with a 30mm cannon. I usually find no problems at all hitting with other aircraft with less powerfull weapons (20mm, 0.50 cal, etc) but with those two, I find myself spending all my ammo without almost hitting my targets. I´ve tried different convergence distances, with no difference, so my question is if there is any special technique when shooting with big guns.

Thanks a lot for helping!

cueceleches
11-02-2004, 04:55 AM
Hi!

I recently started two campaigns with a P63 and a 109 G6 Late, one with the 37 mm cannon and the other with a 30mm cannon. I usually find no problems at all hitting with other aircraft with less powerfull weapons (20mm, 0.50 cal, etc) but with those two, I find myself spending all my ammo without almost hitting my targets. I´ve tried different convergence distances, with no difference, so my question is if there is any special technique when shooting with big guns.

Thanks a lot for helping!

Bewolf
11-02-2004, 05:29 AM
The 37 mm has a very low ROF, so make sure to aim properly and take your time.

The 30mm has good ROF, but its muzzle velocity is pretty low. Deflection shooting is much more difficult then with 20 mm. Make sure to take into account that the 30 mm is slower then a 20 mm round.

Von_Zero
11-02-2004, 05:33 AM
what Bewolf said http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
and when using planes that have nose cannons, the convergence is quite unimportant.

clint-ruin
11-02-2004, 05:36 AM
Two things -

First is, use short convergence settings for your cannon in the Arming screen. Many people find 100-150m to be a good value for some of the slower firing, heavy weapons. Setting a short convergence means that your round won't arc up above the sightline when you fire.

Second is, practise your bum off. Set up some QMB flights with just your P-39 and say a flight of four other friendly bombers. Then break off, and come at them from a 45 or 90 degree angle - teach your brain just when to fire and how much lead to pull on a target. The P-39s 37mm [as well as guns like the NS45 on the Yak9K, NS37 on the Yak9T, 50mm on the Me-262U4, MK103 pods for FW190A] is quite accurate at surprisingly long ranges. Some of those guns are adapted infantry antitank guns - hits against a nonmoving target are possible up to and beyond 1KM. Once you get really good you'll be able to pluck anyone stupid enough to fly in a straight line up to 600-900m. While setting a short convergence distance means you'll need to pull a lot of lead for the long range shots, the path your shells take is predictable enough for you to eyeball the shots in.

For the Mk108 and Ho105 you are just going to need to get close, since the accuracy of these guns is insufficient for very long range shooting. With practise you should be reasonably confident of hitting a moving target up to about 400m away, as long as you're prepared to chew through the ammo to do it.

The one last thing is that people generally tend to underestimate the lead they need to pull, and underestimate their distance to a target [due to field of view restrictions on a monitor]. It's a lot easier to lead too much and adjust down than lead too little and then need to pull very hard on the stick to lead more.

clint-ruin
11-02-2004, 05:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Von_Zero:
what Bewolf said http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
and when using planes that have nose cannons, the convergence is quite unimportant. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nose guns convergence setting affects the furthest distance at which the round will be in the exact position you shot it to with the sight.

In FB, this means that if you set 1000m convergence for the P-39s nose gun, it's going to arc up a fair bit to get there. Not necessarily a problem as long as you're aware that your rounds path to the sight is now a curve rather than a straight line.

SeaFireLIV
11-02-2004, 05:54 AM
I dunno about all that detail waffle, but I find that if I set my convergence to 200-250 for my cannons in the P39, I miss. Set to 100, I hit.

So I keep cannons on 100. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

cueceleches
11-02-2004, 06:06 AM
Thanks a lot guys!

I´ll try to set my convergence for the gun to 100 or 150 m and see if I hit something in QMB. I usually don´t like gun pods, so I stick to nose cannons.