PDA

View Full Version : A word of warning: Fuel economy suffers with Manual pitch

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Salute All

I have been flying a few missions in 109's using manual pitch, and notice immediately that the fuel consumption rate goes up when revs are kept at the 2800 rpm level for long periods.

The Auto pitch generally tends to keep the engine at lower revs, even when 110% throttle is set.

This is one of the reasons for improved peformance in manual, but the penalty is more fuel being burned.

So be careful to keep an eye on your fuel guage. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Another point: I notice that top speed can be attained using manual pitch much easier than in auto. And with less overheating. There doesn't seem to be an increase in top speed overall though.

RAF74 Buzzsaw

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 07:31 PM
Salute All

I have been flying a few missions in 109's using manual pitch, and notice immediately that the fuel consumption rate goes up when revs are kept at the 2800 rpm level for long periods.

The Auto pitch generally tends to keep the engine at lower revs, even when 110% throttle is set.

This is one of the reasons for improved peformance in manual, but the penalty is more fuel being burned.

So be careful to keep an eye on your fuel guage. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Another point: I notice that top speed can be attained using manual pitch much easier than in auto. And with less overheating. There doesn't seem to be an increase in top speed overall though.

RAF74 Buzzsaw

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 07:32 PM
Salute

Oops, I guess this should be in general discussion.

XyZspineZyX
09-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Anyone have the new FB1.2-Aplha and can share with us if the auto prop pitch has been fixed???

XyZspineZyX
09-24-2003, 09:31 AM
That's why you should use a lower RPM setting in the cruise, if endurance matters at all. One of the main points of being able to change the RPM at all, you know... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Cheers,
Fred

"If we are an arrogant nation, they will resent us. If we are a humble nation, but strong, they will welcome us."
- George W. Bush, during his campaign. No comment.

(Quote brought back by popular demand - RBJ missed it so much he mailed me about it)

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 03:11 AM
Yep I set it in cruise at about 20k-22k revs gives much better economy, 28 is a bit high on the revs unless in combat

JG4_Tiger

XyZspineZyX
09-25-2003, 02:58 PM
22,000 RPM?! No wonder your fuel economy suffers! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Cheers,
Fred

"If we are an arrogant nation, they will resent us. If we are a humble nation, but strong, they will welcome us."
- George W. Bush, during his campaign. No comment.

(Quote brought back by popular demand - RBJ missed it so much he mailed me about it)