PDA

View Full Version : The Dam Busters add on...

FI-Skipper
12-08-2005, 01:43 PM
I am just wondering if anybody owns this for comabt flight simulator 2.I believe its an add on by Just flight and you get to fly the 617 squadron raids etc but I would ahve to buy CFS2 which is now quite old and obviosuly wont be comparable to IL2.I was just wondering if anybody thinks its worth buying the two for the gameplay value of it or whether its not worth it at all.Laso , is there anything similar out for il2 at the moment or anything planned(I'm guessing not seen as we dont have the lanc)

Cheers

Skipper

VV_Holdenb
12-08-2005, 02:31 PM
hi skipper,
I own a copy of CFS2 + the dambuster addon, they both are collecting dust some where. I really like Lanc http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif, but the addon didn't stay on my hard drive for very long. Graphics a relatively clunky by today's standards. You can download "freeware" Lancs for fs2004 that are
just as good. Flying over the dams was fun for the first few times as well as doing the night raid. Through this becomes very tiresome and "samey" quickly. IMHO money better spent else where.

Padser
12-08-2005, 04:18 PM
I got it when I was flying CFS2 as well. I thought it a high-quality add-on and had some fun with it, got interested in the history of the raid, too, but also ended up removing it during one of my clean-ups.

Ultimately, the game for me was all about the online aspect, same as it is for me with this one, and the offline stuff just never really grabbed me in CFS2.

If you are a fan of offline flying then give it a whirl - good luck getting past that flack on the Dutch coast though... 'Enemy coast ahead'? More like 'Enemy impenetrable curtain of fire ahead'... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

~S~

Pads

PS One thing I didn't like about it was the daft comments the pilot 'spoke' on take-off - something about removing the 'old chocky-wocks, there's a good chap'... if I remember correctly... ? Not entirely in keeping with the spirit, I thought...

PPS You may be interested to know that they used FS2002 and this add-on as the basis for a simulated dambusters raid in a Channel 4 documentary: http://www.soton.ac.uk/~ktakeda/flightsim/dambusters.htm

Enforcer572005
12-09-2005, 09:18 PM
I flew cfs2 for about 18 mos before i gave up on it (the lousy misn builder was....a lousy misn blder).

Cfs2 can be fun because of the adons, but you have to get so many user fixes to straighten out all the bugs and incomplete features (it was released about 6 mos too soon). Just too much work.

I do miss the adons and the large variety of user made vehs, ships, etc. One fellow made a fairly nice lanc that worked pretty well. But the ai bombers only drop one bomb at a time, and your plane had no ai gunnerrs.....thats right, the player flown bombers in CFS2 (user made ones and stock that are made flyable) have no ai gunner capability, unlike IL2.

FI-Skipper
12-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks gfor all the replies guys.....Perhaps I'll give it a look but after what some of you have said I think i'll stick to il2!

Cheers

Skipper