PDA

View Full Version : Motionbase Simulation

HughMeares
02-28-2006, 07:51 AM
REQUEST: Is there any flight telemetry output from IL2/Forgotten Battles etc to drive a Flight Simulator. If not, could you provide one.

MS Flight Sim publishes an SDK with netpipes. Lock On does it slightly differently using the Lua scripting language. Live for Speed does it using a UDP port.

(Our interest is that we design and manufacture the Cyberseat motionbase simulator which is now interfaced into MS FLight Sim, X-Plane and Lock On and would like to interface to the IL2 family)

WB_Outlaw
02-28-2006, 08:17 AM
There is a UDP interface called DeviceLink. You communicate w/it via UDP. It's pretty simple but not very robust. There is a file called devicelink.txt (I think) in the game directory with the info.

--Outlaw.

AKA_TAGERT
02-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by HughMeares:
REQUEST: Is there any flight telemetry output from IL2/Forgotten Battles etc to drive a Flight Simulator. If not, could you provide one.

MS Flight Sim publishes an SDK with netpipes. Lock On does it slightly differently using the Lua scripting language. Live for Speed does it using a UDP port.

(Our interest is that we design and manufacture the Cyberseat motionbase simulator which is now interfaced into MS FLight Sim, X-Plane and Lock On and would like to interface to the IL2 family)
Cool! Got a link?

As outlaw noted, there is devicelink. You don€t have access to every variable in the game, but you have access to everything you would need to drive the real life gauges of the WWII plane. You know temp, fuel, wheels up, etc.

But the stuff your probably more interested in is the YAW, PITCH, ROLL stuff. They all seem to be relative to the earth axes. There is also ALT, ROC and IAS which as I€m sure you know can be used to determine a lot of other things, like a ball park acceleration. The thing that is missing, which Im not sure you would need, but would be nice to have is the x,y,z coordinate. With that and the aircraft angles you could do a lot of neat stuff, but sadly they are not provided.

Here is a link to the basic DeviceLink stuff.

ubi devicelink thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/7201027043)

The UDP interface is real easy to work with. There are some example programs at that link. I wrote my own and use a timer interrupt to sample the data over the network from a second PC. That way I€m not tying up any resources on the PC running the game except for the network access from the second PC. So in theory you could do the same, running the game on one PC and the platform control algorithms on the second. As for data rates, I have successfully read all of the devicelink variable at a 1/10 second rate. If needed I€m sure you could go higher, but, that might start to impact things if your playing online? Or just read the variable you need, in that Im reading alot of them that I never use.

MrQBerrt
02-28-2006, 08:47 AM
I'd love to fly this game some day with a motion platform. It'll probably never happen though. #1 because of the cost and #2 because Oleg will probably never publish the needed data.

IMHO, this is quite sad for any modern flight sim, but I understand that Oleg has other priorities.

Troll2k
02-28-2006, 10:12 AM
As I understand device link it does not work online only offline.

If this is not correct I stand corrected.

AKA_TAGERT
02-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Troll2k:
As I understand device link it does not work online only offline.

If this is not correct I stand corrected. Good point, but, from what I understand only some of the variables are disabled. But, no where in the DeviceLink text does it talk about which ones. One of these days I need to try it to see which ones

DDastardlySID
02-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately the following variables are disabled when flying online (according to devicelink.txt):

speedometer_indicated
30 get()
return: float [km/h] +0.00 +inf

variometer
32 get()
return: float [m/s] -inf +inf

slip
34 get()
return: float [deg.] -45.00 +45.00

turn
36 get()
return: float [undefined] -1.00 +1.00
turn indicator

angular_speed
38 get()
return: float [deg./s] -inf +inf

altimeter
40 get()
return: float [m] +0.00 +inf

azimuth
42 get()
return: float [deg.] +0.00 +359.(9)

beacon_azimuth
44 get()
return: float [deg.] +0.00 +359.(9)

roll
46 get()
return: float [deg.] -180.00 +180.00

pitch
48 get()
return: float [deg.] -90.00 +90.00

fuel
50 get()
return: float [kg.] +0.00 +inf

overload
52 get()
return: float [undefined] -inf +inf

shake_level
54 get()
return: float [undefined] +0.00 +1.00

gear_pos_l
56 get()
left gear "leg" position

gear_pos_r
58 get()
right gear "leg" position

gear_pos_c
60 get()
central gear position

magneto
62 get(int - engine idx)
return: int [undefined] +0 +3

rpm
64 get(int - engine idx)
return: float [rpm] +0.00 +inf

manifold
66 get(int - engine idx)
return: float [bar] +0.00 +inf

temp_oilin
68 get(int - engine idx)
return: float [deg.C] -273.00 +inf

temp_oilout
70 get(int - engine idx)

temp_water
72 get(int - engine idx)

temp_cylinders
74 get(int - engine idx)

Cheers,
DD

|CoB|_Spectre
02-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by AKA_TAGERT:
Cool! Got a link?

Google to the rescue:
http://www.cyberseat.co.uk/

Only 15,000 Euros including seat & compressor

AKA_TAGERT
02-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by DDastardlySID:
(according to devicelink.txt): Huh, I stand corrected, thanks! Well shoot, without those it would be hard to make a motion platform. ;(

Nimits
02-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Now the question, can I plug it into a stanard US 3 prong socket?

HughMeares
02-28-2006, 06:58 PM
We haven't tried it yet but we hope that it will (it needs about 10 amps at 240V). That's our next bit of testing to be done.

MrQBerrt
03-10-2006, 03:03 PM
HughMeares:

If Oleg hasn't gotten back to you on this subject yet, you might want to ask him about this:
http://www.pacific-fighters.com/ss/MAKS_Aeromash_cockpit3.jpg