PDA

View Full Version : losing a wing

dreadbaron1968
01-09-2006, 04:44 AM
Just a comment on situations where a wing gets blown off causing a plane to spiral. When this occurs in the game, you often see the pilot parachute safely. I recall hearing an interview with a USAAF pilot saying he often wondered why he never say anyone exit a plane with this kind of damage, when it seemed to him that they had plenty of time to get out. His testimony was that after the war he got chatting to a doctor about it, the doc told him the reason why nobody ever exited a plane sent into a violent spin by the loss of a wing was that the force exerted would simply break the pilot's neck. I can not verify this and would be interested in knowing if anyone else has any data. If so this would a change be needed within gameplay?

dreadbaron1968
01-09-2006, 04:44 AM
Just a comment on situations where a wing gets blown off causing a plane to spiral. When this occurs in the game, you often see the pilot parachute safely. I recall hearing an interview with a USAAF pilot saying he often wondered why he never say anyone exit a plane with this kind of damage, when it seemed to him that they had plenty of time to get out. His testimony was that after the war he got chatting to a doctor about it, the doc told him the reason why nobody ever exited a plane sent into a violent spin by the loss of a wing was that the force exerted would simply break the pilot's neck. I can not verify this and would be interested in knowing if anyone else has any data. If so this would a change be needed within gameplay?

Hristo_
01-09-2006, 05:55 AM
Sounds interesting. Although bailout restrictions are implemented in this sim.

BaronUnderpants
01-09-2006, 03:45 PM
All depends on when u loose your wing. I for one have followed my winless ac all the way down on several occasions, exclusivly when i was diving at the time if "dewinging". Sounds like it works much like in RL, if u are at the top of a steep climb and got Z&B for example i guess u would have a better chance of escaping.

Saunders1953
01-09-2006, 11:28 PM
BaronUnderpants, you win the title for most clever username in my book. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif