PDA

View Full Version : Corsair durability

Tvrdi
12-10-2004, 07:23 PM
First of all i know that USN planes were tough in terms of durability....at least compared with IJN planes...BUT...in the sim Corsair is durable like a tank...very often u can find urself firing with all ur guns in zeke into corsair spending all of ur ammo load and what happens....Corsair flew without any considerable damage...sometimes only light smoke but in good condition...its ridiculous...it was well armoured plane but this is too much,.....

VW-IceFire
12-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Aim for the wings or the back fuselage along the topside...theres a fuel tank you can light on fire.

Yes the Corsair is tough like a Thunderbolt is...but they have their weak spots. You need to stop shooting them where they are tough and hit them where they aren't. They aren't invulnerable...

BuzzU
12-10-2004, 08:09 PM
I don't think the Jug is tough enough in the game, and the Corsair was supposed to as tough or tougher. They didn't weigh that much for nothing. Unlike some other countries, the US likes to keep the pilots alive.

ColoradoBBQ
12-10-2004, 08:16 PM
There is a critical weak spot where a fuel tank is in the engine area. Usually, when hit hard with cannon rounds in that area, Corsairs tend to explode. The trick is to get in position to take that shot when they are zooming around your Zero. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

fordfan25
12-10-2004, 08:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BuzzU:
I don't think the Jug is tough enough in the game, and the Corsair was supposed to as tough or tougher. They didn't weigh that much for nothing. Unlike some other countries, the US likes to keep the pilots alive. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

agree 100% the one plane that i think might have a lack of durabilty problem in this game is the hellcat iv found it very easy to light on fire and take a wing off. more so than what i woulda thought from what iv read.

Athosd
12-10-2004, 09:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tvrdi:
First of all i know that USN planes were tough in terms of durability....at least compared with IJN planes...BUT...in the sim Corsair is durable like a tank...very often u can find urself firing with all ur guns in zeke into corsair spending all of ur ammo load and what happens....Corsair flew without any considerable damage...sometimes only light smoke but in good condition...its ridiculous...it was well armoured plane but this is too much,..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just flew several QMB missions, A6M5 vs F4U-1A. The real trick was getting close enough to hit him hard - even the rookie AI is not too shabby at playing keep away with zeroes.

However once I had him close enough the cannon did the job quite well.
Close enough in this case was under 200m with cannon convergence set at 125m.

A good quick test of aircraft durability is to set up QMB with some empty rookie planes - saddle up on their six (they will fly straight and level most of the time) and test out your hardware.
In this test you will find the F4U can be torn apart quite handily by the A6M's 20mm cannon - when at or near convergence and at ranges under 200m (the closer the better).

Cheers

Athos