PDA

View Full Version : Jesper Kyd or Lorne Balfe

ConradFischer
06-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone of you know who's doing the soundtrack for Assassin's Creed Revelations.
I ask because Jesper Kyd on his offical site says he's doing it but in a recent interview with scorenotes.com Lorne Balfe (most well known for doing the score to Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 with Hans Zimmer) said he's doing the music for ''The next Assassin's Creed''

Here's a link to the interview (http://scorenotes.com/interviews.html)

It's top of the page and and click on ''Download the Interview'' and skip to the 11:00 minute and you can hear it.

So if anyone could clear this up it would be great, Which one is doing the music or both of them doing the music for the game.

Thank you.

tH3PatRi0Tx1776
06-13-2011, 12:31 PM
maybe Lorne Balfe is doing the Desmond segments and Jesper Kyd is doing the Ezio and Altair parts?

kriegerdesgottes
06-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Or maybe he's doing it for the WIIU version or just ACIII or a PSVita game or something. Who knows.

O6EvolutionIXMR
06-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Jesper Kyd > Lorne Balfe x 1,000

Jesper just has so much freakin' awesomeness with the AC series, it's ridiculous.
Just look at AC II. It's soundtrack was a masterpiece most motion pictures wish they could have.
Although, I must admit now that you mention Hans Zimmer, it would be badass if he and Jesper teamed up for AC:R or AC:III. Loved his work on Da Vinci Code & Angels & Demons.

lukaszep
06-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Or maybe it's both. Composers like collaborating these days.

ace3001
06-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Jesper Kyd... Please. I dunno who the other guy is, but Jesper Kyd's music was so damn awesome. I'd hate for that style to change. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Xanatos2007
06-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Jesper Kyd is no longer working on the Hitman series (in fact I don't think any of the original developers are working on it anymore), but hopefully Ubisoft will keep employing him for AC.

tadeoosh001
08-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Both Kyd and Balfe are working on Revelations. Kyd is doing standard background and combat music, while Balfe is responsible for cutscene music.

reini03
08-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by tadeoosh001:
Both Kyd and Balfe are working on Revelations. Kyd is doing standard background and combat music, while Balfe is responsible for cutscene music.

I didn't know Lorne Balfe one minute ago, and I didn't hear any music from him (or at least didn't know it was from him) until twenty seconds ago. Now I think ACR's music is going to be double the epicosity.

HIBEE12
08-27-2011, 11:24 AM
I hope Jesper Kyd does more than the other guy, for me he's the best, his music is just... stunning http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

E-Zekiel
08-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
Jesper Kyd is no longer working on the Hitman series (in fact I don't think any of the original developers are working on it anymore), but hopefully Ubisoft will keep employing him for AC.

Yeah, I heard about that. Jesper Kyd really is awesome. I loved the Hitman music as well. I have all the Assassin's Creed soundtracks as well as the Hitman soundtracks because he's just a great composer.

When I heard Kyd is no longer doing Hitman, and that David Bateson is apparently not doing the voice, I really lost a TON of enthusiasm for Hitman 5. I really, really did.

Calvarok
08-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Lorne did the score for Sherlock Holmes. That was one of the best period scores I've ever heard!

With him and Kyd working on this together, this is going to be a sick soundtrack!!!

medcsu11
08-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Jesper does a great job. He wins.

Dan_C4551DY
08-27-2011, 03:05 PM
I personally think the Tobuscus literal trailer should be a bonus track http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Time out lemme get my weaps...
In Slo-Mo!
I am the first X-Man!
That jokes ahead of our time,
But youre still gonna die,
Who the hell is that guy?
The second X-Man!

Cant get it out of my head http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

E-Zekiel
08-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
Lorne did the score for Sherlock Holmes. That was one of the best period scores I've ever heard!

With him and Kyd working on this together, this is going to be a sick soundtrack!!!

Hans Zimmer did Sherlock Holmes. Unless you mean they did it in conjunction?

Calvarok
08-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

Hans Zimmer did Sherlock Holmes. Unless you mean they did it in conjunction? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yeah, they did.

NewBlade200
08-27-2011, 07:21 PM
I want a superstar tag team! Between composing music they fight evil alongside Captain Planet and Batman http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cercatrova
08-28-2011, 01:44 AM
It is not unheard of to have multiple composers on a soundtrack. He may just be doing a few tracks, they could be collaberating, there are a number of possibilities.

Calvarok
08-28-2011, 01:55 AM
If you listen to the music in the Gamescom demo that begins right when you assassinate the first guard after using the water-wheel, you can hear piano notes quite similar to the style of piano used in Sherlock Holmes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zIzy3laQck

Cercatrova
08-28-2011, 01:58 AM
I listened to the interview, it sounds more like he's getting ready to work on Assassins Creed III than Revelations. Hard to say with certainty, but now that I think about it, I would think most of the music in Revelations is beyond the stage of composition, and probably all or mostly already recorded and mixed

Calvarok
08-28-2011, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Cercatrova:
I listened to the interview, it sounds more like he's getting ready to work on Assassins Creed III than Revelations. Hard to say with certainty, but now that I think about it, I would think most of the music in Revelations is beyond the stage of composition, and probably all or mostly already recorded and mixed
Well as I've posted above, I hear echoes of his previous works in some of the music.

No reason he can't have wrapped up Revelations and moved on to working with Kyd on 3, is there?

E-Zekiel
08-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Calvarok:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Calvarok:

Hans Zimmer did Sherlock Holmes. Unless you mean they did it in conjunction? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
yeah, they did. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif That makes sense. I *knew* I had heard that name somewhere before. Hans Zimmer is an amazing composer, and the Sherlock Holmes soundtrack was fantastic - I imagine someone who has collaborated with him - Lorne - will actually be fantastic. I just wonder if he will be able to do both the orchestral score and the "beats" (some would call it electric but I don't think that's super-accurate), like Kyd was so good with.

tadeoosh001
08-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by E-Zekiel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by E-Zekiel:

Cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif That makes sense. I *knew* I had heard that name somewhere before. Hans Zimmer is an amazing composer, and the Sherlock Holmes soundtrack was fantastic - I imagine someone who has collaborated with him - Lorne - will actually be fantastic. I just wonder if he will be able to do both the orchestral score and the "beats" (some would call it electric but I don't think that's super-accurate), like Kyd was so good with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I mentioned before, Kyd and Balfe are working on different parts of the game. The 'beats' you mentioned are present in Revelations, and such parts are Kyd's work - he works mostly on ambient and combat score. Balfe, on the contrary, creates more orchestral-style music for the cutscenes to give them more 'cinematic' touch (I think that's the main reason why Ubisoft hired a movie composer for the computer game).

There are two official gameplay videos around the web, and if you listen carefully, you can easily distinguish two different music styles. For example, gamescom gameplay movie begins with Lorne's orchestral score (the part begins with Ezio chasing Leandros and ends just before soldiers attack assassin), then, at the start of the combat, changes to typical Kyd's electronic music. And sorry to disappoint you but the rest of the gamescom video music is still Kyd's work, including the mentioned water-wheel part, mistaken with Sherlock Holmes score (whose original Balkan-like style was the idea of Hans Zimmer himself, not Balfe).

It's pretty easy to distinguish these two different styles. I know both composer's music very well, enough to know their tendencies in scoring music. Balfe's parts here are styled to sound 'orchestral' and 'epic', while Kyd's music is darker, more rhytmical, extensively using electronic sounds, drums, and sometimes solo vocals. I don't like Balfe's music much for the sole reason that he is repetitive in his style - he keeps using the same form of music in all his works, and it irritates me that I'm going to hear the same music again in Revelations (honestly it's almost the same as his music for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, just the different notes). Kyd in my opinion does much better work, as he tends to be original in all his scores. You have to agree with me that Kyd's music for AC series is truly original, and that it could not be mistaken with anything else - and that's what pains me most when I think of Balfe being hired for the series - after hearing some of his music, it looks like he still goes the easy way, copying his (and Hans Zimmer's) style over and over again (just recall the sound similar to flipping a coin, first introduced and used frequently in Modern Warfare 2 - it used to be its score trademark, but even this was later copied and put into ACR music, totally stripping it out of originality).

twenty_glyphs
08-29-2011, 01:59 PM
@tadeoosh001: How do you know that Balfe is doing the cut scene music? I see that both Kyd and Balfe are listed on Revelations' IMDB page. I definitely agree that the music right after Ezio rides up the water wheel has Jesper Kyd written all over it, and I love it. The first game's soundtrack used a good amount of wistful piano sounds in it, and this sounds similar. Since you sound so knowledgeable, who would you say wrote the music that ends the E3 demo as the camera pans out to show a wide shot of Constantinople? I liked that music quite a bit. I just hope that Jesper Kyd does the majority of the music on every AC game, because his soundtrack makes free-roaming that much more enjoyable. Sometimes I go to certain cities or districts just to hear the different music, despite owning the soundtrack.

Calvarok
08-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by tadeoosh001:

Cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif That makes sense. I *knew* I had heard that name somewhere before. Hans Zimmer is an amazing composer, and the Sherlock Holmes soundtrack was fantastic - I imagine someone who has collaborated with him - Lorne - will actually be fantastic. I just wonder if he will be able to do both the orchestral score and the "beats" (some would call it electric but I don't think that's super-accurate), like Kyd was so good with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I mentioned before, Kyd and Balfe are working on different parts of the game. The 'beats' you mentioned are present in Revelations, and such parts are Kyd's work - he works mostly on ambient and combat score. Balfe, on the contrary, creates more orchestral-style music for the cutscenes to give them more 'cinematic' touch (I think that's the main reason why Ubisoft hired a movie composer for the computer game).

There are two official gameplay videos around the web, and if you listen carefully, you can easily distinguish two different music styles. For example, gamescom gameplay movie begins with Lorne's orchestral score (the part begins with Ezio chasing Leandros and ends just before soldiers attack assassin), then, at the start of the combat, changes to typical Kyd's electronic music. And sorry to disappoint you but the rest of the gamescom video music is still Kyd's work, including the mentioned water-wheel part, mistaken with Sherlock Holmes score (whose original Balkan-like style was the idea of Hans Zimmer himself, not Balfe).

It's pretty easy to distinguish these two different styles. I know both composer's music very well, enough to know their tendencies in scoring music. Balfe's parts here are styled to sound 'orchestral' and 'epic', while Kyd's music is darker, more rhytmical, extensively using electronic sounds, drums, and sometimes solo vocals. I don't like Balfe's music much for the sole reason that he is repetitive in his style - he keeps using the same form of music in all his works, and it irritates me that I'm going to hear the same music again in Revelations (honestly it's almost the same as his music for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, just the different notes). Kyd in my opinion does much better work, as he tends to be original in all his scores. You have to agree with me that Kyd's music for AC series is truly original, and that it could not be mistaken with anything else - and that's what pains me most when I think of Balfe being hired for the series - after hearing some of his music, it looks like he still goes the easy way, copying his (and Hans Zimmer's) style over and over again (just recall the sound similar to flipping a coin, first introduced and used frequently in Modern Warfare 2 - it used to be its score trademark, but even this was later copied and put into ACR music, totally stripping it out of originality). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The music is the only thing I really appreciate about the Modern Warfare 2 campaign. It works if it has an epic story and gameplay as its backdrop, so it doesn't really work with modern warfare as much as I think it will work with AC.

tadeoosh001
08-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:
@tadeoosh001: How do you know that Balfe is doing the cut scene music? I see that both Kyd and Balfe are listed on Revelations' IMDB page. I definitely agree that the music right after Ezio rides up the water wheel has Jesper Kyd written all over it, and I love it. The first game's soundtrack used a good amount of wistful piano sounds in it, and this sounds similar. Since you sound so knowledgeable, who would you say wrote the music that ends the E3 demo as the camera pans out to show a wide shot of Constantinople? I liked that music quite a bit. I just hope that Jesper Kyd does the majority of the music on every AC game, because his soundtrack makes free-roaming that much more enjoyable. Sometimes I go to certain cities or districts just to hear the different music, despite owning the soundtrack.

I am certain that the musical piece you mentioned was composed by Lorne Balfe. Although the lead female vocal can be misleading (Kyd is famous for his musical experiments with human vocals), the whole background orchestra - the choir, string section and, of course, the 'flipping coin' sound I mentioned earlier point on Balfe as an author. The piece is nice, however it reminds me of another Balfe's work, "Ironclad" if I am not mistaken.

Honestly speaking, that's the reason I am not happy that Balfe joined the AC team as a secondary composer - his work is not original at all, it can be always easily compared to his other scores. A proper music for a movie or a computer game has to be easily recognisable, that when you hear a score you instantly know from which game does it come from. Kyd's work for AC series is the epitome of the statement - I don't think anyone of you would mistake "Ezio's family" or "Venice Rooftops" with any other score. Balfe's work is different - after I watched E3 gameplay I searched through the whole soundtrack of Modern Warfare 2 (including tracks ripped from the game) and I was certain that some tracks used in the demo were there. He still uses the same style in composing music, and yet it isn't even his own - it's Hans Zimmer's. I wouldn't normally mind his commercial approach of copying the style over and over again (I ceased to listen his music some time ago) if it wasn't Balfe that got his job in AC team. The score throughout series was so far truly awesome - original, sometimes beautiful and sometimes breathtaking. I would hate for the style to change. Fortunately Kyd is still responsible for his part in music, so let us hope that not all is lost.

twenty_glyphs
09-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Well, today Ubisoft announced a contest to pick a vocalist for the Revelations theme:

www.ujam.com/revelations (http://www.ujam.com/revelations)

The contest video has Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe saying they are looking for a vocalist to sing over the Revelations theme music in the final game. The video has Lorne Balfe's title as "Composer of Assassin's Creed Theme", but he describes himself as "the composer of Assassin's Creed: Revelations". There is also an audio player where you can play a very soft version of the same music from the end of the E3 demo and also from the end of a game in the Multiplayer Beta.

I'm really wondering why Lorne Balfe was brought in. I can't deny that I like his theme a lot, especially the version in the Multiplayer Beta, but it still feels like Jesper Kyd should be the main guy. His own website does list Revelations among his credits, so he must be doing something on it. It just strikes me as strange that they would need someone else to write this theme when he wrote a theme (Ezio's Family) that tons of people love. Perhaps he was simply too busy to create the amount of music they needed in only one year. Maybe they were being more ambitious with the music than Brotherhood, and he just didn't have the time this year. I think I saw that Jesper Kyd has his own album coming out later this year as well.

EDIT:
@AymarMtl, the Production Manager for AC, was asked about an hour ago on Twitter: "Is Lorne Balfe the new composer for ACR? Where is Jesper Kyd?" He replied: "You will have a nice answer really soon... And don't worry, the OST is AMAZING".

iNJW
09-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Lately, ive been into both, Assassins Creed (Like Mental) and Victorian Era (so i have been watching sherlock holmes and drawing my own concept designs of victorian assassins) anyway, i did funnily enough start to listen to the holmes soundtrack the other day and i downloaded the AC2 Soundtracks the other week as much as i think Jesper Kyd is part of the reason Assassins Creed is as good as it is, i think depending on the era or AC3, Lorne Balfe will probably have more of a leading role. (assuming its in victorian london) obviously (i hope alot) jesper kyd will still be massively involved in the games as i think the Assassins Creed soundtracks have been totally fitting in to the games locations/actions..

-N

rob.davies2014
09-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by iNJW:
Lately, ive been into both, Assassins Creed (Like Mental) and Victorian Era (so i have been watching sherlock holmes and drawing my own concept designs of victorian assassins) anyway, i did funnily enough start to listen to the holmes soundtrack the other day and i downloaded the AC2 Soundtracks the other week as much as i think Jesper Kyd is part of the reason Assassins Creed is as good as it is, i think depending on the era or AC3, Lorne Balfe will probably have more of a leading role. (assuming its in victorian london) obviously (i hope alot) jesper kyd will still be massively involved in the games as i think the Assassins Creed soundtracks have been totally fitting in to the games locations/actions..

-N

May I ask if we can see some of those concept designs? Assassin's Creed in Victorian London would be a dream come true for me! Love that setting!

kriegerdesgottes
09-08-2011, 03:50 PM
The first thing I thought when I saw that was "Where is Jasper Kyde?" and are they really still working on the music for Revelations? I guess this worries me a little because AC's music is second to none and it scares me they want to pick the theme from some random fan. But who knows maybe it'll be amazing.

woowu
09-09-2011, 02:19 AM
From my understanding Kyd is credited in Revelations with his old AC1 music which obviously appears in some of the beta maps (galata for example) while Balfe is the main composer for this game.
I really hope they opted for Balfe so Kyd could patiently work on AC3's soundtrack.

EvolutionIXMR
09-09-2011, 06:59 AM
Jesper Kyd should team up with Hanz Zimmer for the next installments.
That'd be like orgasms for my ears.

iNJW
09-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by RussellSparrow:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iNJW:

-N

May I ask if we can see some of those concept designs? Assassin's Creed in Victorian London would be a dream come true for me! Love that setting! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah Sure, have you got an email i can send one to? weather or not theyre any good i dont know, i only have 1 decent one at the moment, the others are done kinda rushed but i will probably redo them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

tadeoosh001
09-12-2011, 11:50 AM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jesper-Kyd/93907508766

Anyone noticed Kyd's recent statement about incoming ACR soundtrack announcement? What do you think about it?
My hopes are for finally getting some soundtrack samples, but it can as well be an official statement that Hans Zimmer joined the AC team as a composer (considering the UJAM video, it's not impossible). I don't know what exactly to think about it, but honestly I can't wait for it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

dex3108
09-19-2011, 04:20 AM
Info about Jesper http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.xboxgamezone.co.uk/...s-creed-revelations/ (http://www.xboxgamezone.co.uk/2011/09/19/jesper-kyd-scores-on-assassins-creed-revelations/)

twenty_glyphs
09-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by woodexx:
Info about Jesper http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.xboxgamezone.co.uk/...s-creed-revelations/ (http://www.xboxgamezone.co.uk/2011/09/19/jesper-kyd-scores-on-assassins-creed-revelations/)

Thanks. I'm glad they've finally confirmed this, though I can't imagine why it took them so long just to put out a press release. The release makes it sound like Jesper is definitely the main guy, though it does say "alongside music composed by Lorne Balfe." I still wonder why Lorne Balfe was brought in did they just want a different style for some of the music, or was Jesper unavailable after writing most of the music earlier in the year? It just seems so strange to me to have two composers on the same game that don't seem to have worked directly together.

notafanboy
09-19-2011, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by woodexx:

http://www.xboxgamezone.co.uk/...s-creed-revelations/ (http://www.xboxgamezone.co.uk/2011/09/19/jesper-kyd-scores-on-assassins-creed-revelations/)[QUOTE].
thanks alot man, i was getting a little worried..