PDA

View Full Version : New to 1946 where are the planes?

venom681968
03-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Hey guys, I just bought 1946. The box includes 2 DVDs, and it says that I get the whole collection (5 games) I installed, the main screen has every game logo, still, when I go into the campaign mode, I only see campaigns for the pacific. How can I start a campaign in Europe where I can use the Spitfire and Tempest (and all other planes, of course)

SeaFireLIV
03-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Well that doesn`t make sense. there should be a campaign section and a drop down with a list of different nationaly campaigns.

Are you sure they are 1946 disc and someone didn`t swap them (if a second hand purchase). I was nearly caught out by this once. Went to buy a spare 1946 (trade 2nd hand) and as the assistant was putting the discs in the box I noticed they were pacific fighters. i stopped her quickly. Her store had been tricked.

Your case may not be that serious. check your discs again.

venom681968
03-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.
Discs are one red, one black, they read IL2 1946 Signature Collection.

I do have a list of Air Forces when starting a campaign. But if I choose, say, RAF, I only get the option to start at Singapore in a Hurricane

steiner562
03-29-2008, 09:08 AM
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php you may find a campaign that suits your here,the stock campaigns are not great to be honest.

venom681968
03-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks Steiner, I do appreciate the redirect but I need to make sure I got what I bought...

I downloaded the "Straight from the Farm" campaign from mission4today and its great, but where is my stuff? I hope I'm not making myself a nuance here...

ImMoreBetter
03-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Go to the quick mission builder and have all the planes you want.

venom681968
03-29-2008, 09:31 AM
um... OK...

This is what I want...

I want to see the campaigns for the 5 games that I paid my money for. I didnt buy the game to start running around all over the internet downloading stuff, nor to start building my own campaigns (although I might later on) I paid money to play a computer game that promised me I would be able to play campaigns all over the world. Not only the pacific.

Am I wrong?

general_kalle
03-29-2008, 09:34 AM
there are no campaign about the european westernfront in the stock game...unfortunatly. but you can fly the Seafire, P51, P47 and P38 over japan.
you can also fly the Spitfire serving the russian airforce in the Kuban-Crimea area.
the Me109 and FW190 are of course present on the easternfront.

Feathered_IV
03-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Sorry if this is being presumptous, but when you go into the Pilot Career section and click on New, then select RAF...

Is there a little triangle to the left of the Career description? If you hit that there should be a drop down window that appears with a number of other possible careers in it.

venom681968
03-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks, so there are no "complete" 5 games? Only the planes that were included in the 5 games?

Interesting...

Thanks for your replies

dirkpit7
03-29-2008, 09:43 AM
As general_kalle said, the game features stock missions and campaigns for Eastern Front and Pacific only, not Western Front.

venom681968
03-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Feathered_IV:
Sorry if this is being presumptous, but when you go into the Pilot Career section and click on New, then select RAF...

Is there a little triangle to the left of the Career description? If you hit that there should be a drop down window that appears with a number of other possible careers in it.

Nope... RAF only lists Royal Air Force East Command. The description reads Dynamic campaign for RAF pilot in the pacific.

The description is the same for all other nationalities... the only change is the "RAF pilot in the pacific" to "RNZAF" or whatever

dirkpit7
03-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by venom681968:
Thanks, so there are no "complete" 5 games? Only the planes that were included in the 5 games?

Interesting...

Thanks for your replies

'5 games' is a bit misleading IMO, meaning the Forgotten Battles, Aces Expansion, Pacific Fighters, Sturmoviks over Manchuria and 46. Of these only FB and PF are standalone games, others just expansions.

And yes, with the IL-2 Sturmoik 1946, you get the whole content of these '5 games'.

scaredycat1
03-29-2008, 10:10 AM
You might want to give this a try, just be sure to get the one for no add ons.
http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&...=2125541#Post2125541 (http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2125541#Post2125541)

venom681968
03-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by dirkpit7:
...And yes, with the IL-2 Sturmoik 1946, you get the whole content of these '5 games'.

So where is it? I dont even see the Sturmovik as an option in my game... let alone all the Yaks and stuff I flew in the original IL2.

I reformatted my computer a short time ago, and just to avoid all the downloading and patching in specific order and what-not in all the other CDs for the complete series, I got the "whole in one" package of 1946, but now I cannot play other than the Pacific.

Looks like I will have to bury my head in all the installing patching and cleaning after all...

Skycat_2
03-29-2008, 10:42 AM
"Five complete titles" would have been more accurate. And honestly, I'm not really sure where they got that number either.

The titles that are 'merged' into a sequential build, had you bought them all:

1. IL-2 Sturmovik -- the game that started it all. This offered only Soviet vs. German combat. The campaigns were scripted in nature.

2. IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles -- started as just an expansion pack but because of major coding changes was simply released as a major revision of IL-2 Sturmovik. IL-2 Sturmovik's campaigns were originally omitted from FB but they were reincluded for the "1946" disc.

3. Aces Expansion Pack -- Not really a complete game, but it did include a few new campaigns including ones for Slovakia and for France (fighting for the Soviets). It also added about thirty new flyables, most of them built by enthusiasts of the series who wanted to take the game in other directions. The P-38s, P-51s and Spitfires are among the new planes. The Normandy and Ardennes maps were also included, but these really were built for a third-party addon product titled "Battle Over Europe."

4. Pacific Fighters -- This was originally going to be only a stand-alone sim based on the Forgotten Battles engine. The project was initiated by the third-party team that produced Battle Over Europe but official developer became increasingly involved with the modelling and coding. The online community demanded that Pacific Fighters have the option to be 'merged' with Forgotten Battles; this wish was granted but players had to have both FB and AEP installed first for this to be a possible install option. (When AEP disappeared from store shelves, you can imagine how frustrated newcomers were).

5. Pe-2 Peshka -- For most of the world the series was supposed to end with Pacific Fighters, but in Russia the BOE/PF team had plans for three more expansions. Eventually it was decided to release the three Russian Market products to the West as they became available. The first to be ready was Pe-2 Peshka, an e-commerce download that only added six flyable variants of this Soviet light bomber and a few supporting campaigns. Of course you needed FB+AEP+PF installed first to be able to even play it.

6. 46'/Sturmoviks Over Manchuria -- These were to be two separate expansions, and both were more fleshed out than Pe-2 Peshka. However, to install 46' players would have to have every part of the series prior, and to install Sturmoviks Over Manchuria they'd have to have all plus 46'. In addition to logistics concerns, this irritated players who only wanted, for example, the new flyable Japanese planes in Sturmoviks Over Manchuria to make their Pacific campaigns more complete. The decision was made to simply debut these two titles together along with the entire series on one DVD, hence the 1946 DVD.

My advice to you if you want to 'complete' your 1946 setup is:

1. Buy "Battle Over Europe" from JustFlight.com. This title isn't very expensive and shipping is free to many parts of the world.

2. Install the Enjoyr campaigns patch series. These add dozens or even hundreds of new user-made dynamic campaigns and venture into theaters not made available by the stock install. If you have BoE and you use the patch series for that, you'll get all the official updates for BoE plus usermade campaigns like Channel Front and French Wings.

See my Guide to 1946 link in my sig.

dirkpit7
03-29-2008, 10:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirkpit7:
...And yes, with the IL-2 Sturmoik 1946, you get the whole content of these '5 games'.

So where is it? I dont even see the Sturmovik as an option in my game... let alone all the Yaks and stuff I flew in the original IL2.

I reformatted my computer a short time ago, and just to avoid all the downloading and patching in specific order and what-not in all the other CDs for the complete series, I got the "whole in one" package of 1946, but now I cannot play other than the Pacific.

Looks like I will have to bury my head in all the installing patching and cleaning after all... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is strange.

You should get everything with just one installation from the 1946 DVD, but sounds like you only have the PF content.

I really don't know why is that.

Just in case, go to Quick Mission Builder and check what planes you can select.

Skycat_2
03-29-2008, 10:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dirkpit7:

So where is it? I dont even see the Sturmovik as an option in my game... let alone all the Yaks and stuff I flew in the original IL2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
1. Choose "Pilot Career" in Menu.
2. After that, choose "New."
3. On the next screen, choose USSR on the menu at the left. After highlighting USSR, scroll through the campaigns in the menu at the right of the screen.
4. Choose "Bomber" for the original IL-2 game's Sturmovik career or "Fighter" for the original fighter career. There should be other options also; careers with poetic names like "Burning Sun" are the newest scripted campaigns and the rest are dynamic campaigns from Forgotten Battles.

Skycat_2
03-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Sorry, I may have misunderstood. You have the previous parts of the series?

The 1946 game does not install to the same folder as the original Forgotten Battles game (from vintage FB CDs), so you could technically have both versions available to play on your computer if you never uninstalled FB. In addition, Pacific Fighters 'stand alone' game (from the PF CDs) does not install to the same folder as either FB or 1946, so you could have up to three separate games available if you had Pacific Fighters installed before FB or before 1946.

To make matters even more confusing, the 1946 desktop icon is the same one from Pacific Fighters and for FB+AEP+PF.

However, you say that the loading screen shows tags for all the games (Pe-2, '46, Sturmoviks Over Manchuria). Are these titles represented by brass plates at the top of the screen? Also check the game version number at the bottom left; it should be 4.07m or higher.

The version number is controlled by the same .sfs archive that tells the game what planes are available. If your game version number is reading 4.07m but you can't find the IL-2s in the Quick Mission Builder, something is seriously wrong with your install.

venom681968
03-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks again,
My understanding (and I bet I'm not alone here...) was that buying the 1946 box, which specifically says, that I get all 5 games in one, I would be over the tedious, confusing and difficult task of installing all other games, discs and patches.

I do have the original IL2, the ACE Expansion Pack, Forgotten Battles and PF, again... I'm not really crazy about going through all the installations again... the Enjoyr looks even more confusing than installing the whole thing again... :sigh: If as stated before, 1946 does not include Europe, then I guess I have some more installing patching and cleaning to do... then again... what else is new?

To answer your question, My Version is 4.08m after the latest patch, and yes, I see the other game names on brass plates, along with the old logos for Forgotten Battles and PF.

Xiolablu3
03-29-2008, 11:52 AM
You should just uninstall everything you had before and install 1946 alone.

That way you get everything.

There is just one patch released since 1946, 4.08m.

It all installs in one go and there is endless content. If there is not enough for you go to Mission4today and there are thousands of user made campaigns/missions/skins for each plane.

If that is still not enough then download Lowengrins dynamic campaign generator for truly dynamic campaigns flyable online or offline.

M_Gunz
03-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks again,
My understanding (and I bet I'm not alone here...) was that buying the 1946 box, which specifically says, that I get all 5 games in one, I would be over the tedious, confusing and difficult task of installing all other games, discs and patches.

If you do it right then yes. My DVD set did not include 4.08 patch but it installed complete.
Of course I saved my user settings files and wiped the old IL2 install first.
Kinda weird how mine is compete and your is not.

I do have the original IL2, the ACE Expansion Pack, Forgotten Battles and PF, again... I'm not really crazy about going through all the installations again... the Enjoyr looks even more confusing than installing the whole thing again... :sigh: If as stated before, 1946 does not include Europe, then I guess I have some more installing patching and cleaning to do... then again... what else is new?

What you did sounds new to me!

To answer your question, My Version is 4.08m after the latest patch, and yes, I see the other game names on brass plates, along with the old logos for Forgotten Battles and PF.

Maybe you've only managed to replace the campaigns files.

Skycat_2
03-29-2008, 01:51 PM
I didn't mean that you need to or even should install any of your old discs to complete 1946. The 1946 disc is a self contained version of all the prior versions.

What I did mean is that it is *possible* that your desktop icon was actually for Pacific Fighters, if you still have PF installed. However, I think we've ruled that out.

The incompleteness of your 1946 install is baffling to me because (as you probably know) the 'merged' version of the series actually involved a sequential updating and replacing of older .sfs files. For example, the Files.sfs from Forgotten Battles would have been completely replaced by Aces Expansion Pack, and that Files.SFS would have been replaced by Pacific Fighters. Each upgrade patch, in fact, includes a replacement Files.SFS that overwrites the previous version.

The Files.SFS is basically the master list of all the aircraft and maps available to the game. Even if other archive files are missing, you should at least see the names of all the available aircraft in your QMB menu. I believe that Files.SFS also contains the loading screen image, so as you can see it is very peculiar that your game version loads as 4.08m but does not include all of 4.08m's aircraft.

As far as I know, the 1946 DVD does not install all of FB first only to overwrite it with AEP, etc. In other words, it doesn't update the Files.SFS archive five or ten times throughout the process. It installs the most current version of the 'merged' game at the date of publication.

If you can't find the IL-2 Sturmoviks or the Lavochkins or Yaks in the Quick Mission Builder menu, there is something very wrong.

Let's assume for a moment that all of the planes are available in QMB but the campaigns are not available to you. Take a look in your DGen folder first to see if you have all of the dynamic campaigns:
DGen folder snapshot 1 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/FB%20Pilots/DGen01.jpg)
DGen folder snapshot 2 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/FB%20Pilots/DGen02.jpg)
DGen folder snapshot 3 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/FB%20Pilots/DGen03.jpg)
DGen folder snapshot 4 (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v62/Skycat/FB%20Pilots/DGen04.jpg)

I think the last column to the right got clipped off my screen captures, so actually there are more files in the folder. For example, there should be more CampaignRu files between screen #1 and #2. This should give you a basic idea of what should be in your DGen folder though.

Second, look in your game's "Missions" folder and review what is in the Campaign --> RU folder. You should have several subfolders representing the Russian scripted campaigns that came with the game. Mine lists:

59Gshad
ColdWinter
DuklikPereval
IL-2
LaGG-3
Pe-2_front
Pe-2_navy
VVS_46

I haven't added any scripted campaigns lately (and I probably wouldn't have added Soviet campaigns anyhow) but I may have unknowingly gained one or two from the Enjoyr patches. I think this is unlikely, however, since Enjoyr focuses his work on the DGen campaigns instead. My list should be the default scripted campaigns as provided by DVD.

I hope this helps you a little.

I'd just like to add that the Enjoyr patches are very easy to use, especially if you do not have any add-on products. The patches are self-installing executables and you really only have to download the one for 'no add-ons' to get the new campaigns. All of the other patches are just skin packs that enhance the new campaigns but are not necessary to make them flyable.

venom681968
03-29-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks again for a very complete reply, and fast...

As I mentioned before, I formatted my HD, so no IL2 files of any version were in my HD before installing 1946. I did go out and buy 1946 to save me all the hassle of downloading and installing all the patches in the correct order and blah blah blah.

My DGEN folder seems to be similar to yours, my Campaigns folder has the same subfolders as yours, but that is it. No more files are to be found anywhere.

When I first installed 1946, it was version 4.07m, and I downloaded the 4.08m patch.

I really appreciate your time and effort in this... I downloaded a couple of missions from mission4today... Hopefully they'll keep me busy and I wont miss flying my Mustang or my FW over Europe and still have the option of flying an SBD or a Zeke in the pacific...

96th_Nightshifter
03-29-2008, 07:18 PM
I very rarely play "offline" so am not sure what campaigns I should have on a frsh install but I am curious as to what aircraft you have available to fly?

When you go into the Quick Mission Builder where there is a drop down menu for the player aircraft, is there any aircraft that you know you should have but are actually missing? e.g. Can you fly a P51 or do you only have Pacific based aircraft?

M_Gunz
03-31-2008, 06:08 AM
Thanks again for a very complete reply, and fast...

As I mentioned before, I formatted my HD, so no IL2 files of any version were in my HD before installing 1946. I did go out and buy 1946 to save me all the hassle of downloading and installing all the patches in the correct order and blah blah blah.

My DGEN folder seems to be similar to yours, my Campaigns folder has the same subfolders as yours, but that is it. No more files are to be found anywhere.

When I first installed 1946, it was version 4.07m, and I downloaded the 4.08m patch.

I really appreciate your time and effort in this... I downloaded a couple of missions from mission4today... Hopefully they'll keep me busy and I wont miss flying my Mustang or my FW over Europe and still have the option of flying an SBD or a Zeke in the pacific...

From the first posts I thought you actually had installed more than 1946 and 4.08 or 4.09beta.
Sorry there. It does leave a huge mystery.

This should cover your missions/campaign gap:
Lowengrin's Site -- home of a very good mission generator! (http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php)

Just the top three custom campaigns, DCG will also make dynamic campaigns to your specs right
down to what kind of enemy pilots:

Hannut, Belguim 1940 Campaign Released
Belgium, 10 May 1940: Blitzkrieg! Germany attacks Belgium. Attempts to remain neutral find Belgium forces ill-prepared to counter Wehrmacht "lightning war" tactics. French Calvary Corp armor is finally allowed to cross Belgium borders, but will only commit as far as Hannut, & then only to fight a delaying battle that will allow defenses to be prepared at Gembloux. The French Armee de l'Air & the British RAF Advance Air Striking Force immediately join the battle, but experienced & well equipped Luftwaffe pilots have already secured air supremacy & are striking hard at all Belgium Aeronautique Militaire air bases.

In this campaign created by soda, fly as French, German or British.

JastaV's Germany 1943-45 Campaign v1.01 Released
JastaV's Germany 1943-45 Campaign v1.01 is a third party IL2DCG add-on Campaign Pack for single and/or on-line game-play. It covers the Allied Strategic Bombing campaign over the Reich from 1943 to the end of the war. A time when the USAAF 8th AF was striking German industrial and logistic areas during daylight hours, while British Bomber Command took charge of the night-time operations over the Reich; during which time, the US and Britain concentrated their efforts in the development and deployment of long range fighters to protect their bombers deep in the Reich.

Finland 1944 Campaign by Jurbo
After three years of relatively quiet trench war between the Soviet Union and Finland, the Soviet high command decided to knock Finland out of war. To achieve this, enough troops and material was reserved for conquering Finland. On June 9, 1944, the Soviet Union started a massive attack against Finland.

This package contains two campaigns for this period: one for a Finnish and one for a German pilot career. Both campaigns cover (roughly) June-July of 1944, when the Soviet Union launched its strategic offensive against Finland.