PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Air starts in historical full-switch missions.

cmorris975
11-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Asking this before I go about making a bunch of VF-17 missions as close to reality is possible. Obviously, starting with your plane in the air is not realistic. Personally I don't mind as it can get rid of a lot of "wasted" time on ingress to target. Gets you you to the action quicker in my thinking. I wanted to make the missions for the community however, hence this poll.

As a side-note I plan to make landings required as they can be a challenge (damaged, CV landings).

Thanks!

cmorris975
11-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Asking this before I go about making a bunch of VF-17 missions as close to reality is possible. Obviously, starting with your plane in the air is not realistic. Personally I don't mind as it can get rid of a lot of "wasted" time on ingress to target. Gets you you to the action quicker in my thinking. I wanted to make the missions for the community however, hence this poll.

As a side-note I plan to make landings required as they can be a challenge (damaged, CV landings).

Thanks!

xTHRUDx
11-24-2007, 01:20 PM
depends:

for navy stuff, sometimes air starts are used to over come takeoff weight restrictions becuase the carrier isn't moving = less wind to takeoff in = can't carry full loadout.

also air starts are used for bombers to help them get high quicker and also to simulate them arriving from an "off map" location. they would typicaly already be at altitude when they arrived in the area.

Korolov1986
11-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Do both. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Make your mission with the taxi, takeoff, fly to target routine, then duplicate that mission and cut the taxi-takeoff routine off. You can't lose with this arrangement.

ElAurens
11-24-2007, 02:22 PM
And why do airstarts need to be close to the target?

Airstarts are a good idea for carrier ops in non co-op servers because of the lack of wind thing as previously mentioned, and also because of the typical carnage of many people spawning on deck and crashing into one another.

cmorris975
11-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Good ideas so far, I'm asking for a planned VF-17 campaign (desinged for single player).

horseback
11-24-2007, 04:56 PM
I hate airstarts, a la the QMBs.

The ai start out in perfect trim, apparently at speed, while the Player is wallowing about trying to recover, and losing speed and altitude for the first several seconds.

I'd far prefer taking off and being in trim, at speed and alt when I get to the target area.

cheers

horseback

VW-IceFire
11-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Why isn't both an option? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm ok with both.

SeaFireLIV
11-24-2007, 06:15 PM
In some missions you HAVE to airstart. You may be on a carrier and have too many planes so some must airstart above.

After that, though, always a ground start where possible.

DKoor
11-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Both.