PDA

View Full Version : ammo reload points

aukieboy
03-10-2006, 05:52 AM
Maybe a good future idea (and maybe already brought up previously?)
Ammo reload points on airfield so we can fly multiple sorties during somewhat longer missions with airfield close to the fighting. In realitic mode , you have to go back to the airfield when you're out of ammo... which means the end of that mission then...
Greets Auk

Bartolomeo_ita
03-10-2006, 07:05 AM
flying over ? -_-

Bearcat99
03-10-2006, 08:04 AM
f we could just find a way to either get AI in DF servers or DF style servers with refly in coops that would be just as good IMO... as long as you land sucessfully hitting restart wont penalize you, if you bail and hit refly you loose points on the mission but you dont loose them all.. I wonder how doable that is or if it is even worth the effort to try to do.

Deadly_107
03-10-2006, 11:48 AM
aukieboy,

I second that motion %100. The fact that you cant land to re-arm is what keeps me from saying that IL2 + Pacific Fighters is the perfect combat flight simulation, even though its darn close now.

Deadly
VFA-107 Sea Dragons
http://www.vfa107.com

Cossack13
03-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Although this question has come up in the past, Oleg has stated that he would not include such this function because the rearm/refuel process is something that could take hours on certain aircraft.

Personally, a ground pounder like me would like to see some fighter jock sitting on the runway for 30 minutes or so, waiting to rearm. That's exactly what bombs and rockets are made for.

Besides, doesn't Refly do exactly what is being requested?

Troll2k
03-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Maybe with the more points you have the more white boxes with green bullets on the side will appear.

FritzGryphon
03-10-2006, 06:14 PM
I second that motion %100. The fact that you cant land to re-arm is what keeps me from saying that IL2 + Pacific Fighters is the perfect combat flight simulation

An instant-reload function would make the game less of a simulation, not better.

aukieboy
03-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Besides, doesn't Refly do exactly what is being requested?

reflying is not a bad thing to do but everything starts all over... whereas reloading arms at some certain point ingame is very different and more realistic as things develop their own way while you're at the airfield.
In my humble opinion it would add realism to the sim but hey... there might be a flipside...

FritzGryphon
03-12-2006, 03:09 PM
It might be aesthetically pleasing, not realistic.

Perhaps a compromise would be an animation of your pilot jumping out of your current plane, and climbing into a new one. The old plane is then towed away to a hangar by one of those tow truck golf cart things where a bunch of cardboard engineers get to work refueling and reloading it.

If a part is damaged, the engineers would do a repetitive 'repair' animation, like hitting the plane with a wrench, as the damage vanishes.

The plane is then ready to be towed out whenever someone else reflys. Oh, and the plane can be morphed into any plane.

ImpStarDuece
03-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Rearming and refueling in WW2 wasn't like a Formula 1 pit crew. i.e 30 seconds and then your back out on the tarmac again.

It was a pretty long process: fuel, oil, ammunition, oxygen, engine coolant for inlines and any other consumables all had to be checked and/or replenished. Even BoB squadrons, who had their pilots up 3-4 times a day, used to take around half and hour or more to completely service a fighter. WW2 fighters weren't exactly designed to be in and out in 60 seconds.

The first air-force to pay any real attention to turn around time was the IAF, which was a function of them having so few aircraft. The same pilot who was over the Golan heights making anti tank runs at noon, could be re-armed and re-fueled and over the Egyptian border doing reconnisance by 12:30.

Neither the current 'refly' option, nor a quick 'ammunition reload' are close to relaistic. However, the current refly option is probably better, representing the clear break between combat missions. Even when flying 3-4 missions a day, pilots had dead periods up up to 2 hours, while all the kites in the squadron were serviced and repaired.

imyourhuckleber
03-13-2006, 07:18 AM
whats funny are these realism idiots, They dont have a damn clue.

I swear they do not think things through at all. I am all for rearming and refueling, landing on a airfield and having to taxi in a hanger, sit on in the hanger for a few minutes and get rearmed then take off. Have that and points removed if the person hits refly.

This gives people the chance to be bombed and straffed with out the people hitting refly and disapearing in your bombsite.

Im sorry but people who don't think rearming is realistic over disapearing and hitting refly need to wake up.

This is a game, its simply press I and fly, because of the so called fakism people like fritz who drag this game down and who think its realistic...

what is more realistic to you fritz?

Magically disapearing and re appearing on the tarmac in less then 1 second or requiring some skill to land, taxi into a hanger or carrier, standby a few minutes then refuel and rearm....

Deadmeat313
03-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Lets keep this civil, please.

T.

Capt.LoneRanger
03-13-2006, 08:25 AM
I'd welcome that option, too,if its made realistic.

And then the thing I'd really like to see, would be the complains, when their aircrafts stand 45-120 min on the ground while being rearmed and refueled. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Viper2005_
03-13-2006, 01:01 PM
Turn around time very much depends upon your aircraft and the quality of your ground crew.

But even more it depends upon how much work turning around you've got to do.

At one extreme you've got a simple rearming job; at the other you've got a major servicing operation like a 50 hour check, or of course the repair of battle damage.

And all of this is at the mercy of the general logistical situation; no supplies means no turn around. No ground crew means nothing complicated will get done.

If the bowser is over on the other side of the airfield you might be in for a wait...

Both condititions severely constrained the operations of the Axis powers towards the end of the war.

This kind of unpredicatability is the stuff that vineyards are made of.

Realistic turn arounds in this respect may be considered similar to realistic random variations in aircraft performance (or realistic team balance in late war dogfight servers, or...). You'd never hear the end of it!

But anyway, here's a pretty picture...

http://flyingsword.messofthedamned.org/BoB%20601%20pics/8%20Refuel.html

Deadmeat313
03-14-2006, 04:54 AM
I agree that asthetically this would be a very good idea for online servers, but regardless of realism (and I am CERTAINLY willing to disregard realism in certain aspects of this sim - think engine startup time, and the fact that anybody would realistically let me fly a fighter plane at all. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif ) there are a couple of ways this could go:

Option 1 - Optional ingame re-arming:
When you land after a sortie, you can either hit Refly, or taxi to a designated area of the field which will start some kind of 'tinkering'/'mechanical'/'groundcrew fussing' type noises that indicate your aircraft is being refuelled/rearmed. Maybe a taskbar shows how long you'll need to wait. Then you can turn around and taxi to the runway and take off. The problem here is that if an enemy aircraft approaches the runway there is nothing to prevent you just quickly hitting Refly to escape attack. It could get frustrating for dirtmovers as their targets will ping away before their very eyes.

Option 2 - In Game re-arming ONLY.
Same as option one, but the Refly option is disabled so it is impossible to exit the game environment unless you disconnect. This prevents the Refly-dodge, but creates other problems: what if your a/c is badly damaged and you want a new one? What if you want to swap to a different aircraft? etc etc.

I'm not saying the idea is a bad one, just that it MIGHT radically alter the game we have now - and maybe not in a good way.

Food for thought anyway. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

T.

LEBillfish
03-14-2006, 07:46 AM
In Donkey-Kong you can run through various things naturally getting points but also ammunition can't you?...Or power boosts and such so why can't we here?

Deadmeat313
03-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Yeah, pick up the spanners to repair damage, and healthpacks if your pilot is wounded. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Bombers could pick up the Resurrect Dead Gunner powerup. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Engine power and FM characteristics could be improved with powerups too. No more Mr Porked P-51. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Yaaay! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

T.

aukieboy
03-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Capt.LoneRanger:
I'd welcome that option, too,if its made realistic.

is spawning at the beginning of the RWY realistic... no, but we have it like that and everybody seems to be happy...
Hey I understand what you're saying and....

And then the thing I'd really like to see, would be the complains, when their aircrafts stand 45-120 min on the ground while being rearmed and refueled. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

I agree on this one too... Sometimes ideas show up in my mind and the I'd like to air these and hear other people's opinion about it....

zaelu
03-14-2006, 12:17 PM
Refly is not realistic.
Pressing just one button to start the engine is not realistic.

The fact that some planes could benefit from a faster than real life and other planes rearming time is not a valid argument... we allready have planes that start theyr engines faster than in real life and faster than other planes... and there is no complaint about that.

Many things in this game are not realistic as historicaly correct but are realistic as for a PC aircraft simulation game for out times.

I hope BoB (or what name will bear) will have this as a removable option on the server side... and we shall see how many will fly with it and how many will fly without it.

I am realy amused too about this crussade of realism many times fought of guys that will pull over 5 G's for half an hour smoking and watching TV with the corner of the eye, fly with I-16 at 7K+ for indefinite time, etc etc

How about a heater to get you sweat like a pig in your cramped cockpit? Bad radio? Bad frickin plane? Bad weather? Tiredness? And the list you can easily continue for hours...

I like in Lomac that you can refuel... that you can even dump the fuel in air or even rearm (although I never did it online :P )... You could even have a fail start of the engines in Su25s if you are hasty...

Anyway... is a game... a simulation

Deadly_107
03-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Finaly a few sane voices have emerged. I have been flight simming for over a decade now and every flight sim that has been released has had critics on this very subject.
It seems that everyone has a different idea of what "realism" is (this is why we have an options menu). I personaly, turn the stall and spins off in this sim because I dont beleive it is modeled realistic but this is just my view and everyone has a different one.
The fact of the matter is; at the end of the day this is still just a game and it just happens to be one that I have grown to love.
I think what would realy be interesting would be to have some of the folks that actually built this game chime in on the subject.

Wheuuu....now I feel better! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Deadly
VFA-107 Sea Dragons
http://www.vfa107.com

eskimo-again
03-15-2006, 04:25 AM
i dont care about the realism factor. i d like this option for the fact alone that you could have continuous maps in coop mode.
its just more fun to FLY with your mates instead of watching them fly for another half hour because some idiot ai wingman managed to crash into you.

please please let us refly in coop missions or allow (finally) movable objects/ai flights on dogfight maps.

nothing speaks against it as it would be an optional server settings. everything speaks for it.

but what are the odds. this has been discussed since the release and there are no decent arguments against it yet we might aswell realise now that i will never happen.

diabloblanco1
03-15-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by eskimo-again:
but what are the odds. this has been discussed since the release and there are no decent arguments against it yet we might aswell realise now that i will never happen.

Slim to none. Pretty ridiculous isn't it?

aukieboy
03-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by zaelu:
Refly is not realistic.

Anyway... is a game... a simulation

That's it! and ammo reload points makes it all much more interesting than it already is...
realistic or not; give it five minutes and with a bit of imagination it's like you've been waiting for 45-120 min. just the same imagination that makes you feel flying while sitting behind a desktop
greets, aukieboy

OAC_Kosh
03-16-2006, 04:24 AM
Regardless of "reality", it would be a great feature. Coops would be able to last a lot longer and the pilot would not get his plane damage repaired, but only fuel and ammo.

It could be a Realism switch, but I bet you that most people would host with that feature turned on because we all would like the opportunity to take off again in the same coop after we run out of ammo or fuel.

S!

Bearcat99
03-19-2006, 10:18 PM
It would be good but I doubt we will ever get it here unless some 3rd party person comes up with it... like mabye UberD.... But it would be good to have in BoB.... Anyone who thinks that it should be "realistic" is going overboard IMO. The fact that you can shut down your PC at night and go to bed.. or fly again after you go down in flames.. (or pieces) kills the whole realism nonsense. It would be a great feature I think... and one where unless you actually die.. your points accumulate in a session. You taxi off the runway... go to a certain area... I would be happy if it didnt have any little guy ruinning out or the pilot getting out of his plane.... just te ability to repair your plane and re arm and hit refly. It would also be nice if this were scalable.... say where if you hit refly depending on the settings in the config... you would get a 100% repair, refuel, rearm.... or say a 75% repair... but 100% refuel and arm.. if you wanted it... If random failures were programmed in then depending on how may times you hit RRR the random failures would increase......

aukieboy
03-24-2006, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
It would be good but I doubt we will ever get it here unless some 3rd party person comes up with it... like mabye UberD....

Finally some constructive input here!
Great post Bearcat...
Greets, Auki

LStarosta
03-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:
In Donkey-Kong you can run through various things naturally getting points but also ammunition can't you?...Or power boosts and such so why can't we here?

There's no ammunition in DK, you n00b!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Bearcat99
03-27-2006, 06:34 PM
It would also be good if you had minor damage you got refueled to 100% and reparied to 100%. Where as if you had some major damage you could either pick a new plane.... or have yours fixed.. but the random failure thing I mentioned earlier would kick in.. maybe not on the next flight.. or even the next one.. but randomly. It would also be great if this feature were implemented with a scalable amount of reserve planes... per mission.. so that if you had it set to say unlimited than there would be unlimited spares... or a set number between say one and 6.. depending on what the actual numbers were... if you had a plane that was really damaged then you could get another and after a limited time frame eventually that one would be "repaired" and added to the list of available spares.. but initially it would be on the list but "unavailable"... If a pilot made it back to base.. but there were no spares available then he would have to wait until there was one available. I am hoping that little features like this will be able to be programmed into sims once the PhysX stuff finds it's niche and takes over some of the things the CPU does now.

LEXX_Luthor
03-27-2006, 08:21 PM
:thumps: do'h http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

<span class="ev_code_red">ZAELU</span>::
Refly is not realistic.

The fact that some planes could benefit from a faster than real life and other planes rearming time is not a valid argument... we allready have planes that start theyr engines faster than in real life and faster than other planes... and there is no complaint about that.
Very well said. I'll go with what you say.

Interesting...

During the first days of November, the Romanian Henschel pilots practically saved the 24th Infantry Division, which was retreating followed closely by Soviet forces. They managed to fly about <span class="ev_code_yellow">15-16 missions per day each</span>! No other Romanian group made as many sorties in one day, as the 8th Assault Group did then. There was always a patrulă (Romanian for Schwarm) in the air covering the infantrymen. Thus they managed to rescue the lives of more than 10,000 men. Five assault aircraft were lost, as were two pilots. The other three were rescued by their comrades.

http://www.worldwar2.ro/arr/g8as_04.JPG

Grupul 8 Asalt ~> http://www.worldwar2.ro/arr/g8as.htm

And, days are very short in East Europe during November.

spam_bait
04-18-2006, 12:08 PM
I would love this to be realistic. Refueling of a fighter with basic maintanence would take 45-60 minutes, fixing damage much longer.

Quote: "German aircraft were design for field maintenance. The ease at which a ground crew could service the engine was vastly different than American or British planes. An engine change could be done is 12 hours by three people. A US aircraft would take two days and a team of 6 to accomplish the same thing - at a permanent base."

mazexx
04-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Well, I once met an old pilot at an airfield in 1993 and we had a few beers around the bonfire in the evening. He had been a volonteer in the finnish airforce during the winter war and had flown quite a few captured open cockpit russian planes. He told me that they used to smear bear fat in a thick layer in their faces to be able to resist the freezing cold at altitude. Once every few weeks they washed as it was a time consuming job to get the correct thick coverage over every part of the face. When there where too many lice/worm holes in the fat they knew it was time for a "reload" of the face smearing...

Why is this not modelled in IL2? It is naturally completely unrealistic to not model it...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif /Mazex

Capt.LoneRanger
04-18-2006, 03:49 PM
is spawning at the beginning of the RWY realistic... no, but we have it like that and everybody seems to be happy...
Hey I understand what you're saying and....

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

And I always thought we all tried to make it MORE realistic? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

But of course you are right. Any idea *could* make this sim better, but some are really not considered completely. Don't get me wrong. The basic idea was allready in games like in my all-time-favourite: Longbow2. But it took quite long, the battlefield could dramatically change in the meanwhile and you were even attacked while refueling. But then, you don't have to open a wing to add a Hellfire.

JG4_Helofly
04-18-2006, 04:10 PM
The problem, with the current re-fly option in il2 is, thatyou can only take of from your start base. If I land on an other friendly airfield, maybe closer to the ennemi, I always think: why must I restart 50 km from my landing point and fly again all the way.

I think the lomac system is good. But let's see what we will finaly have in BoB.

Capt.LoneRanger
04-18-2006, 05:09 PM
LOMAC is the best example how to NOT do it. You can also rearm and refuel at ENEMY BASES! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/34.gif

But the reason why you have to fly to your base is simple: Not every base has your ammo, your equipment and with moving frontlines, airfields were also abandoned to safe supplies.

Chivas
04-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by FritzGryphon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I second that motion %100. The fact that you cant land to re-arm is what keeps me from saying that IL2 + Pacific Fighters is the perfect combat flight simulation

An instant-reload function would make the game less of a simulation, not better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simulating the ability to refuel and rearm is alot more realistic than hitting the Refly button. Hitting the Refly button simulates nothing.

Adding the option to refuel and rearm would add alot more immersion not to mention fun, especially if your able to set different turn around times for fuel or ammo. There is nothing wrong with adding the option for a little more fun, offline or online. I'm still amazed at the number of people who will dump on anyone who brings it up.

Capt.LoneRanger
04-19-2006, 03:12 AM
That's simply not true, Chivas.

Refly means you get into another plane, that is ready and loaded. The fact that you everything is reseted (trim, view, etc) make it even more real. The only thing unrealistic is the problem that you can switch bases in this regard.

I don't see how loading fuel and ammo in a matter of seconds could be more realistic or more immersive?
Fun? Well, at least that may be true for SOME people.

Chivas
04-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Ranger there is nothing realistic about hitting the Refly button. Now if you had to taxi to hard stand where there were refueled and rearmed aircraft available thats another story. Then you could hit a "New Aircraft" or "Refly" button where the pilot could jump out and run to the nearest available aircaft. The dynamic is already there...just have the pilot run to the available aircraft instead of jumping to the ground.

And nobody said anything about refueling and rearming in seconds. This time could be set by the player off-line and the server on-line.

The Refly button is totally unrealistic as it stands in this game.

The Refuel and Rearm button would just an option...if you don't like don't use it. Everyone seems to complain there is not enough of a fun factor in this game. That option would go along way in improving the game in that aspect.

~Salute~ Chivas

Chivas
04-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Reality.

Aircraft were refueled and rearmed in WW2

Pilots did not have a Refly button although I have no problem with there being a Refly button. Its all about having a couple of options to increase your version of immersion. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I know Oleg has panned the Refuel and Rearm option in the FB series, but I think he will be making a mistake if he leaves out the option in his Storm of War series.

Chivas
04-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Off the top of my head Bob Rearm and Refuel thoughts.

When landing you would taxi to the hard stand where Pilot hut was located. If you are under immediate threat of attack the pilot would automatically run to nearest bunker after engine stops.

If not under immediate threat the pilot would walk/run to pilots hut.

If wounded on landing an ambulance and appropriate crash vehicles would be dispatched to crash site.

Once you reach the pilots bunker or hut, you would have access to a blackboard where you could select a few options. There also could be a few other pilots lounging around there actions would depend on the threat situation.

The blackboard...add your ideas.

A list of available aircraft...refueled and rearmed
...damaged aircraft and approx availablity

A list of available pilots
A list of pilots in the air
A list of threats that could be intercepted ??

with options like

....scramble the available aircraft you have selected...your pilot would then run/walk to selected aircraft.

....refuel and/or rearm your aircraft...with a selectable turn around time/server set if on-line, also set in the difficulty setting for off-line play.

....refly option available when set in the difficulty settings/ or server set

....rest/sleep/Pub Crawl

....delete this totally unrealistic sim

....scramble all available aircraft/depending on your rank and/or authority

....etc

mazexx
04-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Chivas:
....rest/sleep/Pub Crawl

He he, best way to get 5-10 kills in one bomb hit would be to aim for the pub then, at least when playing on an irish server http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Seriously though - your idea sounds great!

The main problem with the whole rearm/refuel idea I guess would be the caos that would erupt on the smaller airfields where the taxi ways are often used for take offs while the main runways are used for landing. Think of all the rookies trying their best to get back to the refuel station with a little to much throttle hitting you just before killing your engine after a well earned ace sortie. In no way do I say this as some kind of rookie bashing but even experienced pilots sometimes have problems taxiing - especially as all of us have the 70 degree "paper cones" of a computer viewport to look through... And that is THE least realistic thing about simulators in my point of view. Sure, with TrackIR and such you can turn the cone with more ease but it's still there. On the ground you really feel that limitation at it's worst...

It would simply be too annoying getting wacked by other planes on the ground after a succesful sortie. Myself I am allways scared ****less after managing to land a badly mauled plane to have some moron crashing into me before getting to a full stop at the side of the runway. Think of having to make it all the way back to the hangars... In reality they had ground control and taxi rules that took care of that, and as long as we don't have that it will be very scary business with all the planes taxiing randomly around the bases...

LEXX_Luthor
04-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Something finally clicked....back to page 1...

imyourhuckleber::

whats funny are these realism idiots, They dont have a damn clue.
:
:
etc...

These are not "idiots" and they do have a clue indeed!

These may be Online computer gamers who deeply fear losing Instant Refly on some servers if the servers can require them to work hard by landing, taxi, and wait a few extra minutes (server option) to Reload ammo and fuel. That is what may be happening here, and if so, they can't admit to it on the webboard.

Don't forget when Oleg disabled the elevator trim in his own FB 1.0 flight models to "save" Online internet dogfight gaming from the classic elevator trim slider Cheat. When the Offline players asked Oleg to restore the elevator trim, the Online players offered insults and snotty jokes against Offline players -- very similar behavior in this thread with the insults and jokes about "powerups" or "health points." These are NOT the realism people but exactly the opposite. Wellcome to the World of Competitive Online Gaming. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Recall the "real life" commercial pilots who all, with the exception of TX_Ecodragon, posted at this webboard that Oleg taking away elevator trim was "realistic" and when successfully challenged, these commercial pilots posted that elevator trim is used only for "straight and <span class="ev_code_yellow">level</span>" flight http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif , further embarassing themselves.

The commercial pilots post that because they can't admit they accepted crippled flight models (no elevator trim) to "save" their Online gameplay. I am *thinking* that we get alot of jokes/insults from gamers not willing to talk about Reload fuel and ammo because they fear losing some aspects of the Online experience -- Instant Refly.

The sad thing is that Oleg himself accepted disabled elevator trim as "realistic" to protect his personal hobby -- Online gaming -- from internet cheats at the expense of the Offline players -- the majority of his business customers. I am not sure why Oleg prefers arcade Instant Refly for Online gaming but does not allow a similar feature for Offline players (many sims don't so its not just Oleg).

I am starting to think these two ideas -- disabled elevator trim and lack of Reload -- to be related. Any input would be helpful, as I just saw the similarity in webboard behavior in those accepting disabled elevator trim and those opposed to Rearm and Refuel...but they accept Instant Refly.

Thanks.

... this reminds me to bump up ElAuren's Pay-To-Play thread, so all flight sim developers can see which customers are willing to pay for advances in flight sim development.

Vorondil-1986
04-19-2006, 04:09 PM
I would love to see the feature to rearm, refuel and repair your aircrafts. It would increase the level of realism and immersion as far as I see.

As far as gaming goes, this feature should could be available via a server setting. After landing you would taxi to a "Service-Zone", which could be a placeable object. (similar to the Home-Base Zone item) Upon reaching that zone you turn your engine off and press a keyboard button to bring up a panel with some switches on it. These switches could be "Rearm", "Refuel" and "Repair" so you could choose what you want the ground crew to do and then press the button "Work".

The time needed for this work could depend on aircraft type, amount of damage and spent fuel. But I would satisfy with a generic work-time of 10-15 minutes. That is a much shorter time than in real life, but times longer than this could make people mentally unstable http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

A bunch off ground crew personel would pop-up around your craft. They could utilize some generic animations such as wrenching or carrying ammo-boxes or pushing around missile/bomb carts. The progress could be displayed on that info field in the down-right corner of the screen (Engine On, Power 95% etc.) When finished they magically disappear or run off somewhere.

The Full Mission Builder Item "Service-Zone" must be placed within the radius of the Home-Base item. It could have sliders for "Service Time" (anything from 1 minute to several hours for those who desire absolute reality) and "Service-Zone Radius" and check-boxes for what type of works are available (fuel but no ammo etc.)

The refly button could be replaced with a "Arming" button (does the same as the current refly) and A "Refly" button, (immedieately respawns your plane in the exakt same location). Both the refly and the rearm/refuel option should be disableable via the server settings or the difficulties panel. Thus those who are rookies, arcadey or with some difficulties trying to get a BI-1 or the ME-163 (with constantly fixed tailwheels) to the service-zones can use the refly/arming buttons while those who like to see mechanics at work taxi to these zones.

LEXX_Luthor
04-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Some good points but that would take alot of programming. Holding down or turning "on" a simple Re-Arm + Re-Fuel both together with the same key on the keyboard would do the exact same thing with far less development costs for Oleg's company and would offer no less function in the sim. Repairing damage would not be very realistic -- if its something very minor that can be repaired in the Refuel/Rearm time, then that is included in the Reloading service. If you suffered more than tiny damage, you get a new plane similar to Not-Quite-Instant Refly, perhaps in the process losing Internet Brownie Points (or whatever its called Online -- kill score maybe I dunno).

Oleg never gave us HuckDog starter trucks so we can start I-153 and I-16 engines, so Oleg does not need to make Gound Crew animations which would look rather arcady, unless Oleg spent ALL his development time on making Perfect Polygon Ground Crews.

For a very smooth starter truck picture, look at the bottom of this Spanish Civil War page...sweet...

~> http://www.aire.org/gce/english/ram/morquillas.htm

Te_Vigo
04-20-2006, 09:12 AM
CFS2 had re-arm and repair ingame setting, that took only a few seconds (about 10 - 15) to complete, which was great for that game as online was very much a fly and shoot affair. The pilot had to, IIRC, taxi to one end of the field and wait for the all clear.

Some talk about many, many minutes of waiting...40 odd?, which would be fine for the diehard flyer in a co-op or offline game campaign and very realistic but can anyone imagine anyone waiting that long in an online "tear" 'em up dogfight?
In the dogfight situation, waiting that long would be "why bother"?
Waiting the time that we got used to in CFS2 is and would be much similar to just hitting refly and going again. Then there is also (some would ask for) the scores to be a running total.(more code)

Now for an online co-op, waiting 40 odd minutes would be frustratingly consuming as well for some but not for others, who would be quite happy with it.

Personally, I would like to have the re-arm/ refuel available ingame online of 10 - 15 seconds for online dogfight and risk being taken out by a vulcher.......killing my score tally (sarcasm)

Honestly, it would cause so much whining and crying and upsets and arguments (I don't know how oleg and crew put up with what is already about, it must be heart breaking) that I personally feel, leave it out except for co-ops as an option and for co-ops only, online or off.