PDA

View Full Version : to those who have upgraded from X45 to X52..

GAU-8
06-03-2005, 05:03 AM
so im online flyin around and "CRRK".. the whole hand portion (the banana) of throttle breaks, floppin around. its still attached, but not by much, so throttle works in a twisty motion:P

so anyways, im TIRED of X-45s.. this is my 3rd one in 3 years. SO, REALLY, im leary about the X52. how has it been since your upgrade from the 45?

what was the model/serial numbers and above that got the updated firmware?

what about those who went from X45 TO CH products? how are your reactions to CH?

GAU-8
06-03-2005, 12:40 PM
bump

OD_79
06-03-2005, 12:45 PM
One of the guys in my squad upgraded to the X-52 and found it to be poor, there were huge dead zones and it was really unresponsive, he sent it back, Saitek were working on it though, you'd have to check their forums.

OD.

F19_Gazoo
06-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by GAU-8:
so im online flyin around and "CRRK".. the whole hand portion (the banana) of throttle breaks, floppin around. its still attached, but not by much, so throttle works in a twisty motion:P

so anyways, im TIRED of X-45s.. this is my 3rd one in 3 years. SO, REALLY, im leary about the X52. how has it been since your upgrade from the 45?

what was the model/serial numbers and above that got the updated firmware?

what about those who went from X45 TO CH products? how are your reactions to CH?

Well, I don´t recognize the problem you´re having with the X45, had mine for 2 years now with no glitch at all. Are you yanking around to hard with it? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Sandman_UK
06-03-2005, 07:49 PM
I know what you mean about the X-45's im on my second and i get fed up with the motion getting so stiff on the base of the stick. Ever since i have had a X-45 I have wanted a twist rudder back, so it was with my eargerness i waited for the X-52 to arrive.

Well let me tell you this, I am back on my X-45. I tried my 52 for over 2 months and could just not get on with it, the massive deadzones really urked me and no matter how much i fiddled with the profiler, read the saitek and IL2 forums and tried all the tricks in the book i ended up un-installing it and putting my 45 back on. It now sits in its box and im not sure what im going to do with it.

The problem is there are so many nice things with the 52 that i miss. The clock / profile screen, the ton of extra buttons. The quality of the finish, the twist rudder. But the actual stick is far too sloppy, it is a massive change from the 45. On the 45 it feels like you have to force it sometimes, but it is ultra responsive and does not make you over commit. The 52 is so sloppy you end up pulling it all over the place to get it to react, and it ruined my game completley.

As a side note to this i am one of the few who ended up with the early model and that they supposedly altered so maybe the latter ones are better. But be prepared for a massive change in the way it reacts if you get one.

One of the best things i did was manage to get a 45 for 10 as they were selling them off. I just bought it for a spare as i got my 52, but ****! it was the better purchase.

Kyril1959
06-03-2005, 09:21 PM
X52's with serial numbers above S00245477 do not suffer from the deadzone problems, are very responsive and IMO, much better than the X45, I have both and love the 52.

GAU-8
06-03-2005, 09:51 PM
GAZOO,

im not that stessful on them, but the have seen quite a bit of service.. funny thing though is its the little things that break immidiately, that have little usage for me...

EXAMPLE: i have TRACK-IR, no real need for one of the hatswitches, yet the LEAST used hatswitch was the FIRST to go ...! (this was about 2-3 months after purchase)

the MODE 123 switch, broke around the same time, again i messed BARELY with MODE functions i think about a whole week,didnt like MODE functions, and went back to my normal operations.

another hat switch from the other X45 broke as well, along with the trigger, throttle spiking severely, and a rotary knob that broke. many other problems..

what i have noticed is, it isnt the actual PART that fails (trigger, hatswitch,throttle)... its the inside retaining peices that are poorly built. if they had the structural integrity of CH products, maybe i might have done a replacement/warranty ... oh well , my fault :P

JG6_Oddball
06-04-2005, 08:01 AM
does the X52 come in force feedback?

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-04-2005, 08:25 AM
I think the way I'm going to end up is getting some ch pedals then get a ch stick and use my x52 throttle, the x52 is imho THE best hotas set in the world, IF it had a more responsive stick! I have the older one (tho nowhere near as bad as most apperently) and would love to see what the new frimware stick is like. I love the **** out of my x52 and am truly saddened that there are such problems with the stick, it is truly a beutifully designed hotas but has been poorly executed (and poorly supported too, shame on you saitek http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif). If you can get the new firmware version I'd say go for it, if you don't like it and you can confirm it is a new firmware version I'm sure you'd have no trouble selling it to one of us schmucks with the old version http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

BenvZijl
06-04-2005, 08:30 AM
don't go for the X52 i had it for exactly 1 day and i hated it(Deadzones etc etc etc)

i now have a CH products HOTAS and it RULEZZZ!!!

Dr2GunzOD
06-04-2005, 09:26 AM
i have been looking at upgrading my logitech 3d extreme stick and finally went with the x52 this week from compusa b/c of the rebate.

part of me likes it, part of me wants to throw it out the window. seems i have an older design stick (dead zone in y band) which i can probably adapt to. however the killer for me is that i normally use my mouse in my left hand to control views etc and feel very limited with the mouse stick or hat switches. track IR would solve this issue i think.

i think im gonna return it and stay with my cheap stick and invest in either track ir or ch stick ....decisions decisions.

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-04-2005, 09:55 AM
If it's the mouse stick thats bothering you please give it a few more days, the mouse stick is one of the best features once you get used to it.

F19_Gazoo
06-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by GAU-8:
GAZOO,

im not that stessful on them, but the have seen quite a bit of service.. funny thing though is its the little things that break immidiately, that have little usage for me...

EXAMPLE: i have TRACK-IR, no real need for one of the hatswitches, yet the LEAST used hatswitch was the FIRST to go ...! (this was about 2-3 months after purchase)

the MODE 123 switch, broke around the same time, again i messed BARELY with MODE functions i think about a whole week,didnt like MODE functions, and went back to my normal operations.

another hat switch from the other X45 broke as well, along with the trigger, throttle spiking severely, and a rotary knob that broke. many other problems..

what i have noticed is, it isnt the actual PART that fails (trigger, hatswitch,throttle)... its the inside retaining peices that are poorly built. if they had the structural integrity of CH products, maybe i might have done a replacement/warranty ... oh well , my fault :P

Ok! I wasn´t out for making fun of you at all, but I´ve seen how some people yank around with stick and throttle.
I´m using TIR too, but I use the hats a lot for other things. No problem there. Maybe it´s just how much you´re using it. I think it´s a good piece of equipment for the money you pay for it. I guess you can say that you should go for CH products or Thrustmaster if you a really a hardcoresimmer with lot of hours in front of the screen.
S!

-HH-Quazi
06-04-2005, 10:20 AM
Strange how some m8's have had issues with the X-45 and others have not. I've owned two within the last year and a half. I got 9 months out of the first one before the X axis to the left and the Y axis pulling down stopped being responsive. I paid an extra $10 for buyer product protection at Best Buy when I purchased it, so I just took it back and got a new one. That was back in Nov. Since then, this one is great. A squad m8 replaced his X-45 with an X-52 and he absolutely loves it.

F19_Gazoo
06-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by JG6_Oddball:
does the X52 come in force feedback?

Nope! Sorry!

SithSpeeder
06-04-2005, 10:56 AM
OK, don't fall directly into the Subject category, but do own/love an X-45.

What GAU isn't telling you is exactly how much of a junkie he really is: 3 hours per night weekdays, 20+ hours per weekend. At 48 hours per week, that's nearly 2500 hours per year. Figuring he may have spent as much as $100 on the setup, that's like $0.04 per hour--not bad. (At reconditioned price, it's like $0.016 per hour).

CH HOTAS setup would be $260 from their website.

Saitek X-52 setup would be $130 from their website.

Saitek X-45 reconditioned are $40

My advice is try the CH...if it lasts more than 6.5 times as long (and seeing how you get about a year per stick, so that would be 6.5 years before replacing), then it make sense.

* _54th_Speeder *

Dr2GunzOD
06-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
If it's the mouse stick thats bothering you please give it a few more days, the mouse stick is one of the best features once you get used to it.

maybe i can tweak it some.

Dash_C.
06-04-2005, 12:03 PM
I've only had two problems with my x45: The rubber cover for the mouse stick kept falling off, and one of my m8s played a bit too rough with it and broke hatswitch #3.

I've since upgraded to an x52 which is infinity times smoother and ergonomic-er than the x45.

The only complaint I have about the x52 is that the clutch button is pretty useless and I would rather have it available as a regular button that could be assigned. Great stick!

LW_Icarus
06-04-2005, 01:10 PM
I like my X-52, its the first batch and the deadzones dont seem to be bad at all for me.

I also have an X-45 and other than the stiff stick liked it as well. I have not had a single issue with either though, all knobs and buttons work, etc.

I dont spend 48 hours a week flying, but usually 5-10 hours a week. had the 45 for over a year before I bought the 52, have had it since they were introduced.

GAU-8
06-04-2005, 07:28 PM
SithSpeeder is RIGHT!..

i work nights, minimum 3:00 to 1:30 in the morning. and forced to work every other weekend http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I have lost contact with all my DAY friends, because of volunteering for "the dark side" of the work hours :P ...so.. because im trying to save money.....3-7 hours everynight of IL2 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif so LOTS of usage.

well on to my story...

i researched the info on the firmware, and looked into getting on of the higher serial numbered X52.

went to FRY's, beast buy, comp usa, electronics boutique or whaver it is now called...

opened up EVERY BOX of X52s... my girlfriend was steamed (yeah she was with me.. poor girl), at all of the stores. not a SINGLE high number/new firmware X52.. proly went thru about 50-60 of them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Sandman_UK
06-04-2005, 08:20 PM
opened up EVERY BOX of X52s... my girlfriend was steamed (yeah she was with me.. poor girl), at all of the stores. not a SINGLE high number/new firmware X52.. proly went thru about 50-60 of them. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Where abouts is the code you need to see then? is it actually on the stick?

Malik_VII
06-04-2005, 08:40 PM
I miss my x45 the hat wore out after 3 or 4 years of use. Went for the 52 even with the twisty. Didn't take too long to place an order for pedals.
The X 52 has some nice features but they should have left the mouse stick being able to be an 8 way hat switch and the rocker.
I should have just bought a trackir. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-05-2005, 11:45 AM
Dash_c they are probably going to make the clutch button programmable in the next version of the software (ya!)

Sandman, yes the serial number is on the bottum of the stick itself, what a pain.

GAU-8
06-05-2005, 04:21 PM
SO.. here i am, flying at WARCLOUDS today... and "SNAP" the throttle arm attaching to the base finally broke all the way thru..

"I'll fix that then" i says to myself

(now remember the ENTIRE throttle control itself is in my hand FREELY, with the exception of wires going to the base)

"I'll assign throttle power to the rocker/butterfly slider...

so here i am waving my throttle around because of no base stability.. i felt like i had tho OLD nintendo powerglove back on again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

going out in a bit to get an X52, no matter the model #..ill just get store warranty, and bring it back when i find a higher number...and ill be sure to complain about dead zone http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
06-05-2005, 04:48 PM
if your deadzone is super big or off-center then saitek will rma it and send you the new model, but only if its really bad and off-center.