PDA

View Full Version : MYST 10th anni-edition in XP. I need some help.

UrbanOutlaw86
05-21-2007, 10:56 AM
I've looked at the other topic on this board but haven't really been able to find any solutions yet. I'm playing the 10th Anniversary DVD edition of the original Myst, and I'm pretty frustrated.

Whenever I try to save the game goes into a freeze mode, sounds like its about to die for 15 seconds, and then the save goes through and I keep playing. It does the same thing when I try to load/restore a previously saved game.

But the main thing that is really grating on my nerves is *SPOILERS*

When I enter the elevator behind the bookcase, it goes up about halfway and then the game does that skipping/freezing thing it does when it saves, only it gets stuck.

I'm playing the game in Compatability mode, and I've tried it in both Win 95 and 98. I've also tried manually changing the properties to change the resolution and color. Are there any patches I can download to help, or anything at all I can do to remedy these buggy features?

Any help would be appreciated. =)

Btw, my system info is:

Windows XP home edition
HP Pavillion
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
2.16 GHz, 1.00G of RAM
I think my video card is a Radeon 9550

UrbanOutlaw86
05-21-2007, 10:56 AM
I've looked at the other topic on this board but haven't really been able to find any solutions yet. I'm playing the 10th Anniversary DVD edition of the original Myst, and I'm pretty frustrated.

Whenever I try to save the game goes into a freeze mode, sounds like its about to die for 15 seconds, and then the save goes through and I keep playing. It does the same thing when I try to load/restore a previously saved game.

But the main thing that is really grating on my nerves is *SPOILERS*

When I enter the elevator behind the bookcase, it goes up about halfway and then the game does that skipping/freezing thing it does when it saves, only it gets stuck.

I'm playing the game in Compatability mode, and I've tried it in both Win 95 and 98. I've also tried manually changing the properties to change the resolution and color. Are there any patches I can download to help, or anything at all I can do to remedy these buggy features?

Any help would be appreciated. =)

Btw, my system info is:

Windows XP home edition
HP Pavillion
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
2.16 GHz, 1.00G of RAM
I think my video card is a Radeon 9550

Heimdall_G
05-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Welcome to the Forums!

Suggestions:

1. Do NOT boot up with the Myst DVD in the drive. Start Myst by clicking on the Desktop icon.

2. Log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications. Also turn off any screen savers and anti-virus/adware/software software running in the background. Then play Myst

3. If you're overclocking, access your system BIOS and set *everything* back to OEM specs. Reboot, log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications. Then play Myst.

4. For each of the Windows 95 and Windows 98/Me compatibility modes, try selecting in sequence:
-- a. 'Run in 256 colors', and play Myst.
-- b. 'Run in 256 colors' plus 'Disable visual themes', and play Myst.
-- c. 'Run in 256 colors' plus 'Run in 640x480 screen resolution', and play Myst.
-- d. 'Run in 256 colors', 'Run in 640x480 screen resolution', plus 'Disable visual themes', and play Myst.

See How to use the Program Compatibility Wizard in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301911) and How to Use Windows Application Compatibility Mode (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/apcompatmode.mspx) for details.

5. Clear your Internet Explorer caches.
-- a. Close all open applications.
-- b. Open a single Internet Explorer session.
-- c. Click on Tools > Internet Options.
-- d. Click on Delete Cookies > OK.
-- e. Click on Delete Files (check the 'Delete all offline content' box) > OK.
-- f. Click on Clear History > Yes.
-- g. Click on OK to exit.

Use Windows (not Internet) Explorer to search all hard disks for \temp, \tmp, and \temporary folders, and delete any files in these folders that aren't currently in use. If you can delete a file in a temp folder, it's not in use - if it's in use, Windows won't let you delete it.
-- a. Close all open applications, and open a Windows Explorer session. (Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > Windows Explorer.)
-- b. Click on Search > All files and folders.
-- c. Type temp in the All or part of the file name: box.
-- d. Click on Search to start the search.
-- e. Click on the temp folders found to open them.
-- f. Delete any files in these folders that aren't currently in use.
-- g. Repeat for tmp and temporary folders.
-- h. Close Windows Explorer back to the Desktop.

Empty the Recycle Bin.
-- a. From the Desktop, right-click on the Recycle Bin.
-- b. Click on Open to view the Bin's contents.
-- c. Click on any file that was deleted by mistake.
-- d. Click on File > Restore.
-- e. Repeat as necessary.
-- f. Click on File > Close.
-- g. Right-click on the Recycle Bin.
-- h. Click on Empty Recycle Bin.
-- i. Click on Yes to confirm file deletion.

Then play Myst.

6. Try some video setting changes. Before changing anything, note what you started with, so that you can go back to those settings if desired. Right-click on a blank area of the Desktop, then:
-- a. Click on Properties in the resulting drop-down menu.
-- b. Click on Settings > Advanced > video card name. You should now be looking at the options or setup menu for your video chipset.
-- d. Mostly, you want to set 'off' as the default, or 'controlled by application'. If there's an Advanced selection button, click on it to see more menu choices. In particular, set:
----- 1. Anisotropic filtering (AF) and antialiasing (AA) 'off' or 'controlled by application'. If AF or AA optimization are choices, set them to 'off' or 'none'.
----- 2. Trilinear optimization to 'off', 'none', or 'controlled by application'.
----- 3. Vertical sync to 'controlled by application', or 'off' if it's initially set to 'controlled by application'.
----- 4. Image setting midway between 'performance' and 'quality'.
-- e. If you change any settings, don't forget to click on Apply or Save. Then exit to the Desktop.
-- f. Play Myst.

7. Before starting Myst, close all unnecessary applications and processes running in the background. Use Windows Task Manager to close everything except for Explorer.exe, Ctfmon.exe, and whatever your hardware needs:
-- a. Close your Internet connection. DO NOT leave your Internet connection open!
-- b. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del once, and then click on Task Manager.
-- c. Click on the Applications tab.
-- d. Click on the desired application to highlight it.
-- e. Click on End Task.
-- f. Repeat this procedure until all unnecessary background applications are closed, including your anti-virus/adware/spyware/pop-up software and software firewall.
-- g. Click on the Processes tab.
-- h. Click on the desired process to highlight it.
-- i. Click on End Process.
-- j. Repeat this procedure until all unnecessary background processes are closed. If you aren't sure which processes can be safely closed, check out the AnswersThatWork Task List Programs index (http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm). The most common tasks are described, and which ones are essential and which can be safely closed are noted.
-- k. WITHOUT rebooting, play Myst.

8. Re-install Myst from a clean boot.

First, uninstall Myst:
-- a. Log into Windows with full Administrator privileges and close all open applications. Do NOT boot up with the Myst DVD in the drive.
-- b. Uninstall Myst using Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs.
----- 1. Click on Start > Control Panel, then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
----- 2. In the Currently installed programs box, click the Myst Masterpiece Edition entry to highlight it.
----- 3. Click on Change (or Change/Remove).
----- 4. If prompted to confirm the removal of the program, click Yes.
----- 5. Close Control Panel back to the Desktop.
-- c. Use Windows Explorer to delete any remaining Program Files Myst files and folders (\Myst Masterpiece Edition in \Program Files\Ubi Soft\Myst Masterpiece Edition, if you accepted the install default).
-- d. Reboot, log into Windows with full Administrator privileges, and close all open applications.

Then re-install from a clean boot.
-- a. Click on Start > Run.
-- b. Type msconfig in the Open: box, then click on OK.
-- c. Click on Selective Startup on the General tab.
-- d. Under Selective Startup, clear the check boxes for:
----- Process SYSTEM.INI File
----- Process WIN.INI File
----- Load Startup Items
-- e. On the Services tab, click the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, then click Disable All.
-- f. Click on OK, and then click on Restart.
-- g. Log into Windows with full Administrator privileges and close all open applications.
-- h. Insert the Myst DVD into the drive, and allow it to spin up to speed. If it auto-starts, cancel back to the Desktop.
-- i. Click on Start > Run.
-- j. Browse to Setup.exe on the Myst DVD, and double-click on the file to put it in the Open: box.
-- k. Click on OK to start the installation process. Accept the install defaults whenever possible.
----- 1. When installation is complete, remove the Myst DVD from the drive.
-- l. Restore the settings you changed with steps c. through e.
----- 1. Click Start > Run.
----- 2. Type msconfig in the Open box, then click on OK.
----- 3. Click on Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services on the General tab.
----- 4. Click on OK, and then click on Restart to reboot into normal Windows. Do NOT boot up with the Myst DVD in the drive.
-- m. Log into Windows with full Administrator privileges. Close any open applications, and turn off any screen savers and anti-virus/adware/software software running in the background.
-- n. Insert the Myst DVD into the drive, and allow it to spin up to speed. If it auto-starts, cancel back to the Desktop.
-- o. Start Myst by clicking on the Desktop icon.