PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone get the rez fix to work?

Warbirds1
04-06-2005, 12:14 PM
I have the rez fix and am using version 1 of SHIII with nocd and still cannot get my rez to change. Has anyone got this to work yet?

Warbirds1
04-06-2005, 12:14 PM
I have the rez fix and am using version 1 of SHIII with nocd and still cannot get my rez to change. Has anyone got this to work yet?

Capt.LoneRanger
04-06-2005, 12:16 PM
No-CD cracks are illegal http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

jtc120880
04-06-2005, 03:17 PM
actually, I have never seen any proof that using a no-cd patch to play a game that you bought and paid for the rights to own and play is in any way illegal.

Downloading software you didn't pay for is illegal, no-cd patch or not..

Would you care to explain exactly why changing info in a game that you've paid for to not require a CD is illegal? I've done it before on games that I purchased.

D.E.

Iridium_Layer
04-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Jtc, you do not OWN the game. You have paid for a right (personal license, actually) to use the software on one computer at a time. You cannot modify the .exe or any copy protection routines without violating that license. As much as a pain in the **** as it is to have to keep the disk in the DVD drive, it is required to maintain your privedge to hold that license.

You OWN nothing. You do not OWN the right, you are granted it by accepting the terms of the agreement upon installation. That right can be revoked at any time for breach of that contract (the license) regardless of what you personally perceive that you paid for.

The next thing you are going to say is "But then what did I PAY for?", and the answer to that is you paid for the packaging, distribution, documentation, and the wages of the talented programmers who produced the software and who themselves are the sole owners of the intellectual property (ideas, code, graphics, etc.) that is contained within the software.

You can justify it to yourself all you want, but the moment you hit the "agree" button with or without reading the licensing agreement, you agreed to the above and have waived any and all rights of "ownership".

In effect, you "OWN" a box, a booklet (but not the information it contains...), a handy DVD case, and a shiny coaster (the DVD iteslf), but NOT the data that is on the disk.

End of story...

AndyDigital80
04-07-2005, 06:32 AM
And in the UK you can LEGALLY make a back up of any software you buy for your own use to protect your investment. But because of the copy protection included with this software your back ups are useless. In this case it is quite legal for you to patch this software so you may use those back ups.

And before anyone decides to flame me, i've ordered this game months before its release and i have a legal copy.

Regards Andy.

CRULL
04-07-2005, 06:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andydigital1970:
And in the UK you can LEGALLY make a back up of any software you buy for your own use to protect your investment. But because of the copy protection included with this software your back ups are useless. In this case it is quite legal for you to patch this software so you may use those back ups.

And before anyone decides to flame me, i've ordered this game months before its release and i have a legal copy.

Regards Andy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same goes for the US.

Cracking software protection for personal use has not been proven illegal by US courts AFAIK.

The same thing happend when VCR's first came out. People started making copies of movies and it went before the supreme court who found that they had every right to do so.

I personally don't like anyone that steals software, music, movies etc...etc.

If it's only for home use and I paid for the original copy then let's see someone try to actually do something about it.

Licence agreements for software would most likely be found to be not binding by a court of law.

Antrodemus
04-07-2005, 07:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And in the UK you can LEGALLY make a back up of any software you buy for your own use to protect your investment. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure about that Andy? I've never seen verifiable proof either way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In this case it is quite legal for you to patch this software so you may use those back ups. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but in that you are quite wrong. If you use a no-cd, regardless of how handy they are (I use 'em myself if they're available), you're technically in breach of the EULA in that you've used an unofficially modified or re-engineered version of the copyrighted data.

Like Iridium_Layer said, we don't own the software - we've paid for a license to use it, and the fact that we, as gamers, are allowed to produce unofficial mods for games is a bonus, and one which the software companies are under no obligation to permit, and yet they allow such practices because, or until, they become a threat to the saleability of the software, or if the modifications have any negative ramifications in terms of the mods bringing the software into disrepute or introduce instabilities that weren't present initially.

The fact that some game mods have improved certain titles way beyond their release candidate originals seems to slip under the "acceptable" radar, however. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

A.

SubQual
04-07-2005, 07:39 AM
The use of a NoCD patch is a very grey area in the law. From the consumer prospective it is bad that we cannot make a backup of rhte $50 game we just purchased. I personally HATE playing with my master CDs and use Alcohol to create images. however SH3 does not allow this.

In their efforts to stop pirates the game makers have hurt the legal consumers as well. I have suggested for a long time that a forced product registration with verification is a better way to go. Without the registration you cannot play the full game or get any patches or add-ons.

That being said, anyone that has bought the game and uses the NOCD patch in my opinion are not doing anything wrong, they are protecting thier investment. I personally do not use them but I can understand the need.

Now if the game companies want these uber copy protections then they need to offer a backup system. Perhaps say for $5 to a registered owner they will ship a new CD to replace a damaged one and the person returns the damaged CD. If they do not then they are charged the full game price on their credit card :-)

Now if they did THAT, then I would say NOCD cracks are bad :-)

Dimensionaut_
04-07-2005, 08:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SubQual:

Now if the game companies want these uber copy protections then they need to offer a backup system. Perhaps say for $5 to a registered owner they will ship a new CD to replace a damaged one and the person returns the damaged CD. If they do not then they are charged the full game price on their credit card :-)

Now if they did THAT, then I would say NOCD cracks are bad :-) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think forcing people to have to put a CD in their drive only for the reason to check and see if the game is a legal copy is bad.
Not only the CD wears, but also your CD-drive wears. I know occasions whare a DVD drive has to be replaced after a year because it's worn beyond repair.

For myself I would also prefer some kind of registration. But then you hit people who don't have internet access.
Maybe the key is that you can play without CD after registering.

R3MF
04-07-2005, 09:56 AM
whilst all this blather about no-cd patches it lovely, i want this statement: "I have the rez fix", explained...........?

GregP
04-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Hey guys,

Check out this thread:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=857101043&m=9161097992&p=1

for a download link to the rez fix, and yes, it does work ... as long as you're OK sticking with 1.0. I've now got 1600x1200 running on my 24" LCD (although the LCD stretches it to 1920x1200, its native res). And it looks AWESOME.

SS.DJSatane
04-07-2005, 12:27 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GregP:
Hey guys,

Check out this thread:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=400102&f=857101043&m=9161097992&p=1

for a download link to the rez fix, and yes, it does work ... as long as you're OK sticking with 1.0. I've now got 1600x1200 running on my 24" LCD (although the LCD stretches it to 1920x1200, its native res). And it looks AWESOME. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In that thread someone mentions that starforce blocks ability of using some tool to increase resolution, how does that work?

I am confused.

GregP
04-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Yes, any copy protection scheme, including Starforce, prevents this DLL from working. My guess would be that copy protection forces unrecognized DLLs to be ignored.

That being said, if you can live with using the retail version 1.0 and not installing the 1.1 or 1.2 patches, you can use a crack to disable Starforce and allow the rez fix to work. This is because as of now there does not appear to be any Starforce disabler for 1.1 or 1.2.

For me, the tradeoff is worth it, as it's more important that the graphics look halfway decent on my widescreen monitor than having the latest fixes and updates.

It's a shame that I have to download a crack to allow me to do something I should have been able to do from the start, but so be it.

Nubarus
04-07-2005, 02:00 PM
Why did the developers limit the resolution to 1024x768 anyway?

I have a 20.1" LCD screen and a X800 Pro.
I play all my other games in 1600x1200 and feel rather odd to play this game in a "crappy" low resolution to be honest.

SubQual
04-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Man I am so sick of hearing people whine about the resoultion the game plays at. News flash folks your TV uses an even lower resolution and produces better pictures.

At 1024x768 crank up your AA and AF, enjoy a game that looks awesome.

As for why this was chosen. This game has a TON of stuff going on in real time in the background, very CPU intense. Higher resolutions tend to bog down the system and in the case of this game it would be a nightmare.

The developers picked a resolution that provides great image quality and at the same time did not overload the CPU.

Stephen.m
04-07-2005, 03:53 PM
First off lets get the threads rudder back to zero because so far its been off 40 deg to port.

THIS thread is about a resolution mod, there are already threads about star****, no dvd, etc, so use them to rant.

no more talking about no dvd cracks, Star****, or how you like playing at 1024 X 768 here. The thread is for ppl who want to try to mod the games resolution. Nothing wrong with that. We already have many small mods to the game so why not a resolution mod too? If you don't want higher res then dont respond to the thread.

ok, so far,
i dled the dx9res10.zip file, extracted the 2 files into the silent hunter 3 main install directory. Changed the 2 lines in the cfg file:
resX=1600
resY=1200

this has not effect on game resolution.
Do we have to edit the sh3 shortcut to tell the game to load the config file also?

or do we have to set higher resolution values in the main config file of sh3?

some step is missing, because i can't see code anywhere that tells sh3 to execute the higher res .dll file. it just looks like an .dll orphan file.

any one have any sucess?

GregP
04-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Stephen.m,

Are you using a retail v1.0 install of the game, with no patches, along with a crack? Because this is the only way the rez fix will work.

reumatiib
04-07-2005, 04:41 PM
If I recall, you don't actually buy software - in actual truth it is a sort of strange-legal rental.

CRULL
04-07-2005, 05:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SubQual:
Man I am so sick of hearing people whine about the resoultion the game plays at. News flash folks your TV uses an even lower resolution and produces better pictures.

At 1024x768 crank up your AA and AF, enjoy a game that looks awesome.

As for why this was chosen. This game has a TON of stuff going on in real time in the background, very CPU intense. Higher resolutions tend to bog down the system and in the case of this game it would be a nightmare.

The developers picked a resolution that provides great image quality and at the same time did not overload the CPU. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A TV signal is analog so it doesn't suffer from stair steps like a digital image. The digital image is usually converted to display on an analog monitor, but it still starts as a digital image.

So there is nothing wrong with someone wanting a higher resolution.

I personally think 1024 X 768 is OK, but only when using AA. I lose the sun bloom effect when I use AA so now it's not OK anymore. Maybe he does also. If I had a higher resolution I could shut off the AA and still have the nice sun bloom effect.

Stephen.m
04-07-2005, 05:58 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GregP:

Are you using a retail v1.0 install of the game, with no patches, along with a crack? Because this is the only way the rez fix will work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i guess i will have to uninstall and reinstall from scratch then. and remove all the mods i dled. looks like some SH3 work for Sat/Sun.

Warbirds1
04-07-2005, 06:46 PM
It only took me an hour to uninstal, reinstal, add nocd patch, use the Starforce removal tool, add rez fix, play game.

The rez fix works but the image is still stretched in 16/9. We need an aspect ratio fix also for us widescreen users.

Development teams are going to have to get with the program and realize that they need to have resolutions for all monitors, not just the outdated tubes.

I also found that my game runs faster and smoother without all the updates and patches.

mnet674
04-08-2005, 06:28 AM
No offence to anyone that likes running a res I thought was high when Half Life came out, but since I can run every other game in existence at 1600x1200 its just a load of **** not to even have the option. Until they add the option, I will have to play the game unpatched using the crack.

1024x768 with AA just looks like an out of focus blur, its just not high enough definition.

Stephen.m
04-08-2005, 11:35 AM
tried to reinstall it (even deleted the game folders). Res fix did not up my resolution and even the bad sun texture came back of the big black rectangle with a white circle inside.

is the res fix for nvidia v/c owners only?

i have a ati 9800 pro

GregP
04-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Hey Stephen,

E-mail me at gregpugliese (at) hotmail (dot) com and I'll try to help you out. I have a feeling you're leaving out a step that is necessary, but the details of which are best left unsaid on these forums.

The res fix works for ATI cards too, I have an X800XT.

Stephen.m
04-08-2005, 05:52 PM
thanks GregP. Apparently i did have it at 16X12, i was just not using te correct method to test it. ie take screen shot then check the file properties of the pic it should be at the higher res.