PDA

View Full Version : Seems like the Atari logos still exist in Ubisoft's Driver games

Driverman2006
06-18-2007, 03:22 PM
For those of you who have Driver 76, did you notice how the Andec Racer still has the Atari logos on it? I guess Reflections and Ubisoft didn't notice it. I hope it doesn't turn into a lawsuit. And there's a new screenshot of D:PL (for the PS2 version by Ubisoft) with the Andec Racer and the Atari logo is very noticable.

Assaultmachine1
06-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks for sharing this with me and others, Driverman2006. This is a very interesting topic to discuss. I hope that whatever it is, hopefully, there will be no problem at all.

Driverman2006
06-19-2007, 08:48 AM
I wonder what Times Square will look like in the 2006 part of D:PL for the Wii and PC. Will it have the Atari logo still there?

Assaultmachine1
06-19-2007, 09:47 AM
It seems like hardly any efforts were done to make these two ports look like Ubisoft titles and that's too bad because it would have been a great way to start off with more.

And if you ask me, I'd say that it really wasn't much of a smart idea to continue building upon that of DPL right after Reflections became a part of Ubisoft. I'd say that they should've finished the PSP game "Driver 76" because it was announced that there would be a PSP version of DPL and instead have moved on as opposed to doing a Wii and PC version of DPL, which will possibly only score lower ratings than the PS2 and Xbox versions because I have known plenty of games that have had later ports, which, in the end, scored lower than the earlier ports. Even the new Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition scored less in reviews than that of the PS2 and GC versions.

I think the reason being why later ports turn out this way often is because those people who have reviewed the earlier ports will only find this to bore them since they only have the means to look again at the ports of the very same game. Now if there was something else done such as a way better looking graphics engine (rather than a few new textures being added in) and having online play make its way, that would really make things different for a later port, but that hardly ever happens and sometimes, it happens to late, which then a developer may screw up a game entirely (i heard that the review of Street fighter II on Xbox Live Arcade was way worse than the original). Therefore, developers must either risk the choice of having to end up with lower reviews for their games by making later ports or choose the other path, which is probably the smarter one and that is to immediately start once again from scratch, making a completely new game like never before.

Driverman2006
06-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Well if it wasn't for Ubisoft buying out the Driver series, then there would be no Driver 76, D:PL for the Wii and PC, nor Driver: LA Undercover. If it was still with Atari, then this would've never happened.

Here's something cool in the new PSM magazine. Some dude actually invented a "Portable PS2", and he sells them too. So I don't think PSPs are worth anything anymore. The portable PS2 plays PS2/PS1 games. Now you can play D:PL in the car!

InsaneDriver06
06-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I saw that portable PS2, must be expensive since he makes it by hand.

The Atari Logo proves Driver 76 is some kind of Port of DPL, or was already in production while Reflections was still at Atari.

Hopefully, Atari doesn't object to their logo being in the Driver games, it's free advertising.

Assaultmachine1
06-20-2007, 07:49 AM
It must be something illegal for a business, so while it sounds like an interesting thing, I wouldn't count on buying it. The PSP is getting updates and that is what helps it get better. We might even see a PSP 2 if the PSP does well in the end.

Driverman2006
06-20-2007, 08:19 AM
I sure hope the next PSP has ALL of the buttons from the PS2 controller. It kind of sucks that in Driver 76 you need to press O and X just to sound the horn, meaning you need to apply the handbrake to sound the horn. You also have to double tap O on a tow truck to uncouple. There's also no button for changing views, it's always in 3rd person.

But anyway, it should be no biggie. Atari does know that they had the rights to the Driver series.

Assaultmachine1
06-20-2007, 09:07 AM
I suppose that it would feel good to have two real thumbsticks just like on the PS2 controller, but eventually, we need to see a new type of design for a portable. Innovation is what Sony needs more of, especially whne it comes to the PSP and PS3. Therefore, they may need to change somethings or instead add in more things that are perhaps very useful and new to a gaming system.

DriverKid
07-11-2007, 11:59 AM
I have the game for Xbox and I rented it for Wii to see if it was fun. I'm already past Bishop in way less time then I ever was on Xbox. Back to the topic If you look in the safehouse in 2006 you can find a Reflections logo on the left side of T.K.'s apartment doorway when you face out of it. It also says rejoice beside it.

Driverman2006
07-20-2007, 04:37 PM
If you watch the trailer for D:PL on the Wii, they show Times Square in 2006. If you look really carefully, you can see the Ubisoft logo and Sam Fisher from the Tom Clancy series on the buildings. So I guess they made some changes this time.

Assaultmachine1
07-21-2007, 12:49 PM
It's good that you been able to point that out, Driverman2006. I like the sound of Tom Clancy's franchise being advertised in DPL as it shows off one of Ubisoft's greatest properties, which is very well the Tom Clancy franchises along with other franchises too.

Advertising in video games is and possibly will become a very big thing in the future. I have heard that, by advertising products of companies in a video game, it helps lower the cost of production for the game and can help a developer get more out of creating a masterpiece. This will really be helpful for developers in the future as development costs of development kits become far more expensive than before due to the rise in technology. Reflections, or better yet, Ubisoft should recommend Reflections to advertise products in their game, which can really help out the production. Infact, with advertising in games, I don't see why developers will need to make their games go multiplatform as they are able to help develop bigger strategies on advertising in their games. Exclusives are extremely important to the major game companies as it determines whether or not you will love a company's system and its line-up of games. Sony's PS3 is definitely in need of a good plenty of exclusives when moving into the future of the 7th generation. The exclusives will possibly help those who don't like the PS3, begin to love it. A lot of extremely big games are to come out for the PS3 both in later 2007 and sometime in 2008, so I'm hoping that the fan support will grow bigger in the future. However, I wish to make myself clear that I won't be spending any much time at all for the 7th generation until after having rented many of the previous' generations games to know more about the past and of how games have evolved upto what they are today.