PDA

View Full Version : Questions/remarks on the Ki-61

WildeSau
11-24-2004, 10:00 AM
I hoped that the bleeding of energy of the Ki-61 when going up has been corrected. With this plane, it's almost impossible to gain altitude. No other plane looses that much energy when doing this. Not even the P-47 which from my point of view should loose more speed than the agile looking Ki-61. What do you think is this correct?

Another thing with this plane is the engine sound. The engine sounds really strange compared to others - as you would be on zero power altough being on 80%. Should't this be corrected too?

Another thing is the look of this plane. I think it looks like the He-100 of the German luftwaffe - a plane which never saw action because they used the Me-109 instead. Is it possible that the Japanense got the planes for this plane for the Germans and that they made the Ki-61 out of it?

The WildeSau

gates123
11-24-2004, 10:34 AM
If you fly a 109 E-4/7 varient you'll realize the engine sounds exactly the same. Its the same BMW motor licensed to Japan. You can sqeeze a little more preformance out of it on manual prop pitch but at a great risk of overevving and frying it.

BlitzPig_DDT
11-24-2004, 10:41 AM
AFAIK, it's a native airframe design with a license built German engine.

The engine is a Daimler-Benz though, not a BMW. For some reason, I would have expected it to climb better as well, but, I'm not really a J-plane guy, so I don't have any data on it, it was just an assumption.

I find that it is quite agile, and will dive like nobodies buisness and zoom quite well too. You really want an E-Advantage to fight against those things, and a serious E-fighter like the Corsair or Mustang seem to do the job better than any other. (it's hard to catch a Ki-61 in a dive even with a Corsair. Those things are fast now. lol)

johann63
11-24-2004, 10:50 AM
all historic acurate stuff aside, when I listen to the engine in the new and improved (yes i thinks its much better) Ki-61, it doesnt seem to show much sound variation. Almost not consistent with the plans speed. This is consistent with the early 109s too. As a comparison when I hop into the Ki-84, that engine has much variation in the engine sound.

Could this be improved?

ElAurens
11-24-2004, 11:12 AM
The Ki61 was a totally indeginous Japanese design.
The engine is a license built DB 601Aa manufactured by Kawasaki and called HA 40. The subset "a" in the nomenclature represents a specification change in the supercharger to enhance lower altitude power. This was done by Daimler Benz at the request of Kawasaki.

Other than a slight resemblence to the He100 in the forward cowling, there is no structural similarity to the German aircraft.

During IJAAF testing of the first 12 prototypes (as I recall the number), it was found to be superior to the Bf 109E3 that the IJAAF had obtained from the Luftwaffe, as well as captured examples of the P40E and LaGG3, in all flight parameters.

geetarman
11-24-2004, 11:40 AM
I've been flying to now and again. Yes, it now flies, at least, post-patch! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif However, it's kinda slow coming off the field. Really takes awhile to get it's head of steam going.

Is much more agile now. I've been experimenting switching over to manual prop pitch to see if I could get a bit more out of it. Watch out! It over-revs and burns the motor up in no time flat! YOu have learn the delicate balance of MP and RPM's in this thing.

As an opponent, cool to seeing flying, but not hard to bring down.