PDA

View Full Version : Fixes for stutters/Sputters!

XyZspineZyX
03-10-2003, 01:13 AM
Hello Guys,

Here is a few tried and tested tips to get your system running better, particularily if you are new to IL2.

IL2 Sturmovik and its big brother IL2 Sturmovick Forgotten Battles are system resource suckers. I've heard of people running Pentium 2.5 processors with good graphic cards being brought to their knees by these monsters, especially Forgotten Battles. Keep in mind that IL2:FB is a 1.2 gigibyte game that really needs 512 ram to play at its best, as well as, a decent video card.

Some methods that will get your system running smother.

A. Right click on your desktop and go to properties/settings/advanced - then, click on your video card tab.

1. Turn off antialiasing
2. Turn off anisotropic
3. Set mipmap detail level to: best performance

Next: Go to your IL2 setup program. You can go to the folder where the game is installed or go to: Start/All Programs/Ubi Soft/IL2 setup

Next, at the IL2 setup program, do this:
_You should be playing IL2 at OpenGL and full screen. Next, set your video setting to 1152 x 864 16 bit color.
_At the video tab, your video card should be listed or you can click and set it to CUSTOM which will give you more options. So, at the custom screen set:
1. Texture mipmap to bilinear.
2. Texture compression to None.
3. The only boxes you need checked are: Use Dither,
use vertex array, Multitexture and combine.

B. Next - go to the Sound tab.

1. Set sound to Custom.
2. Playback channels to 8.
3. Speaker type to Headphones or desktop.
4. 3D engine mode to Minimal
5. Sampling rate to 22050
6. I seem to have better results with the - Audio enhancements and hardware acceleration - checked.

Other things that I have tried are:

Setting virtual memory settings to 2 and a half times your ram. Ex: for 512 memory it would be 1280. Set both - initial size and maximun size to same number, in this case it would be 1280 twice.

Soft Quadro4 which is basically using Quadro drivers to run your GeForce card. I don't recommend this so try at your own risk, but it worked great for me. The program can be found at Gura3D.com.

Despite all this I still, ocassionally, have a little burp with sound only when the mission is loading but once the mission starts, and with the suggestions above, the game plays fine.

1.6 Athlon
512 ram
Nvidia sound
GeForce Ti4200 128 mb vid card.
MSI mother

Salute and hope this helps.
Rick

XyZspineZyX
03-10-2003, 01:13 AM
Hello Guys,

Here is a few tried and tested tips to get your system running better, particularily if you are new to IL2.

IL2 Sturmovik and its big brother IL2 Sturmovick Forgotten Battles are system resource suckers. I've heard of people running Pentium 2.5 processors with good graphic cards being brought to their knees by these monsters, especially Forgotten Battles. Keep in mind that IL2:FB is a 1.2 gigibyte game that really needs 512 ram to play at its best, as well as, a decent video card.

Some methods that will get your system running smother.

A. Right click on your desktop and go to properties/settings/advanced - then, click on your video card tab.

1. Turn off antialiasing
2. Turn off anisotropic
3. Set mipmap detail level to: best performance

Next: Go to your IL2 setup program. You can go to the folder where the game is installed or go to: Start/All Programs/Ubi Soft/IL2 setup

Next, at the IL2 setup program, do this:
_You should be playing IL2 at OpenGL and full screen. Next, set your video setting to 1152 x 864 16 bit color.
_At the video tab, your video card should be listed or you can click and set it to CUSTOM which will give you more options. So, at the custom screen set:
1. Texture mipmap to bilinear.
2. Texture compression to None.
3. The only boxes you need checked are: Use Dither,
use vertex array, Multitexture and combine.

B. Next - go to the Sound tab.

1. Set sound to Custom.
2. Playback channels to 8.
3. Speaker type to Headphones or desktop.
4. 3D engine mode to Minimal
5. Sampling rate to 22050
6. I seem to have better results with the - Audio enhancements and hardware acceleration - checked.

Other things that I have tried are:

Setting virtual memory settings to 2 and a half times your ram. Ex: for 512 memory it would be 1280. Set both - initial size and maximun size to same number, in this case it would be 1280 twice.

Soft Quadro4 which is basically using Quadro drivers to run your GeForce card. I don't recommend this so try at your own risk, but it worked great for me. The program can be found at Gura3D.com.

Despite all this I still, ocassionally, have a little burp with sound only when the mission is loading but once the mission starts, and with the suggestions above, the game plays fine.

1.6 Athlon
512 ram
Nvidia sound
GeForce Ti4200 128 mb vid card.
MSI mother

Salute and hope this helps.
Rick

XyZspineZyX
03-10-2003, 02:14 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions! So far FB is like trying to tame a wild mare! She may be beautiful but damn, can she kick and knock ya backwards if you're not ready for it! /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif Makes me even more determined to tame her /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

First here are my System stats:

AMD XP 2100
Win2k w/latest Service Pack and Patches
1024 Megs DDR Ram
AGP apeture set to 512
Page file set at 768mb
Asus A7N8X deluxe w/ 1001g bios (CPU/Memory settings set to "Optimal" and "Sync" respectively)
Integrated Soundstorm audio using latest drivers
Nvidia Quadro 4 750xgl w/ Detonator 42.68 drivers
(Not a gaming card but I've had decent performance with games in general including the original 1L-2. Performance is somewhere inbetween a ti4400 and ti4600 in general)
Direct X9
2x AA and 2x Anistrophic Filtering w/ texture sharpening ON
Vsync ON
40 gig IBM HD
Acer DVD drive

IL2 settings:

Driver:

Running game @ 1152x864 @ 32bit color
Using Open GL engine
Stencil Buffer ON

Video:

Mimap filter set @ Trilinear
Texture Compression @ S3TC
Dither ON
Vertex Arrays ON
Polygon Stipple ON
Multitexture ON
Combine ON
Secondary Color ON
Vertex Array Ext. ON
Texture Anistrophic Ext. ON
Texture Compress ARB Ext. ON

Sound:

Channels: 16
Speaker: Default
3D Engine: Default
Sampling: 44100
Audio Enhancements/ Hardware Ext: OFF

(I initially had some of the much maligned sound problems some people where experiencing but after setting my audio to the above stats everything is fine in the sound dept.)

I had my first large engagement last night from the Single Player campaign and I experienced some terrible stuttering halfway into the mission in the middle of a huge furball which eventually led to the game crashing to the desktop.
I tweaked my settings by increasing my AGP aperture size to
512 from 256 and setting my CPU settings from "User Defined" to "Optimal" in the bios. I ran IL-2 again in another big mission and the same thing happend as above.

In both cases I received the following message after crashing:

"Instruction @ 0x69514194 Referenced Memory at 0x0000051c:
Memory Could Not Be Read"

However in smaller engagements and less detailed areas I have had no problems with stuttering or locking up.

This seems like a memory resource error and I think my page file may size may have something to do with it. And since FB is using an enhanced graphics engine the set up that I used for the original IL-2 may not be working. So I'll give some of your suggestions a try and I'll run through that mission again.

Any other suggestions for enhancing the game performance based on my setup is highly recommended! In terms of my vid card I'm planning on eventually picking up an ATI9700. I'm hoping the price will go down reasonably once the 9800 is released. That way I can regulate that Quadro 4 I have for a workstation I'm planning on building while keeping the ATI for my game machine /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Hopefully a dedicated gaming card and tweaked settings will help iron out those FB stutters!

-Krypto

XyZspineZyX
03-10-2003, 06:53 PM
It may sound weird but i switched to DirectX & upped my screen to 1600X1200(32) & the stutters practically went away, I also shut off Stencil Buffer & enabled S3TC in the custom video setup.

XyZspineZyX
03-10-2003, 06:54 PM
Turning down graphic quality settings is not a fix, its a work around and a pretty sad one at that /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif but nice try.

XyZspineZyX
03-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Yeah like with the original Il-2, FB is going through some breaking issues before it matures. This is pretty much the case for any PC game; just the nature of the business so I'm not sweating it. Otherwise I would've switched over to consoles LOL.

Besides I'm sure Oleg is already having his team gather feedback from our bug reports. I hope that this stuttering issue is addressed if indeed it is based on the existing version of FB. I had no problems with stutters with the original Il-2. All we can do now is to keep tweaking and report our findings to help others.

-Krypto

XyZspineZyX
03-10-2003, 07:33 PM
I managed to remove all stutters from Dynamic campaigns, not at graphic quality expenses but with this tip from the readme.rtf included on disk 1:

7. Tuning the campaign for low- or high-end PC.

You can adjust some parameters in a dynamic campaign to increase performance or to modify a level of challenge by adding the following lines to the end of file conf.ini (capitalization is important!):

1. To adjust a number of planes and groups of planes, you can set:

AirIntensity=Low
AirIntensity=High

In addition to reduction of size of plane formations, on low air intensity there will be no random flight groups - those that are not directly connected to your mission

2. To adjust a number of ground objects, you can set:

GroundIntensity=Low
GroundIntensity=High

On low intensity you will see ground objects only in target area and around active airfields

By default there are also ground objects around your route, but the number of moving objects is limited.

On high ground intensity, all targets of opportunity in a corridor from your airfield to the destination are included.

__
Sharx
http://www.maxonline.net/images/sig2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
12-15-2003, 02:46 PM
BUMP

Good flight to you !