PDA

View Full Version : The worst DCing ever! But it won€t happen to you.

TheRealWulfmann
06-13-2005, 12:33 PM
How is it I can be badly mauled in December 1939 but you can€t?
Well I had a moderate patrol and was heading home when I decided to look for targets in the Thames Estuary.
Really shouldn€t out ta do it, wouldn€t be prudent. Too shallow. I have a short memory of other lives now dead, LOL
I gunned down a small coastal when a destroyer showed up. I tried to torpedo him as I was going home and could take the chance and waste them. Too close, the only hit bounced off. One more I was lining him up with the last stern fish when another DD crossed so close I could only see plating. So there are two. Then I saw a third with 2 PT boats. At periscope depth I had an extra 5 meters underneath me. Won€t take long to get to max depth.
They took turns making their runs and as one started I switched off silent running and got Damage Control to work. I had serious flooding and was trying to get back to periscope depth but was losing ground but if I didn€t go to silent they had me cold.
Catch 22.
I had to stop the flooding or I would die. So I waited until I got the call a DD was making an attack run, went to flank speed, hard rudder left then right (Port then starboard) all while the gang worked on the flooding. More damage to other areas, fixed that, stopped the flooding ran fast and as they lined me up I went to silent and did a 180.
It actually worked.
This was the worst I have ever survived. I was damaged 6 different times by depth charges.
So why can€t this happen to anyone but me?
I edited the entire RND and SCR.mis files changing all the destroyers to better crew ratings.
SH3 has every DD a 1 (idiots) for 1939-40. Then 2 starts to show at the end of 1940 . I am well versed to know the RN was well trained from the get go. Not all, but most DDs were well manned and certainly better than a 1. I also made some veteran or 3 in this era (Ever hear of Captain Vian??!!)and I believe one of these may have been one. It was too easy early in SH3 and this is more to my liking.
But, in 1944 SH3 has all DDs as elite number 4 rated and that is not real in the other direction. So I made about half of them 3 or veteran.
Generally the armed trawlers were not well trained so I left them as 1 but added some to the convoys. They may be of little threat while submerged but they can alert the DDs to where you are and that makes them dangerous.
I had attacked a convoy in the channel before this pounding and after sinking one cargo I was thwarted by the destroyers repeatedly. I tried 4 times to get back in but only got kept down.
I prefer this tough opposition to target practice.
I prefer to get my kills the old fashion way. I earn them! LOL Well, I feel like I do.
Wulfmann

JU88
06-13-2005, 01:48 PM
I went down the Thames once during a single mission, as expected Londons not there, just grass and trees http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif, would have been so cool if was.
I wanted to sale my uboat under Tower bridge then have lunch at a local pub, buy my crew tickets to see Cats at the theatre, then go to a seedy soho table dancing club, then throw rotten eggs at number 10 downing street ( get some good renown for that ill bet). Ahh maybe in silent hunter 10.

UF_Excalibur_D
06-14-2005, 06:07 AM
I was in that little strait just south of British Island in my IIA around late 1939. Surfaced to intercept costal mechant and ended up with 3 destroyers, armed trawler and 4 torpedo boats searching for me. About 20-25m depth so going deep was not possible. I went silent and crept away...just couldnt resist taking shot at DD, lol...now I realize I shouldnt have. I got DC'ed for 30 min...alot of near misses and only one direct hit....light damage. I managed a kill on the DD and the coastal merchant before slipping away....but I was on edge for at least 30 min....sweating it out.
84% realism btw

TheRealWulfmann
06-14-2005, 11:08 AM
3 years after we uninstall this and have SH5 it will be these moments we remember most fondly..
It is winning the nearly impossible fight that is the most satisfying.
That is why I wanted tough destroyers from day one.
Wulfmann

sdcruz
06-15-2005, 03:14 AM
I was in that little strait just south of British Island in my IIA around late 1939. Surfaced to intercept costal mechant and ended up with 3 destroyers, armed trawler and 4 torpedo boats searching for me. About 20-25m depth so going deep was not possible. I went silent and crept away...just couldnt resist taking shot at DD, lol...now I realize I shouldnt have. I got DC'ed for 30 min...alot of near misses and only one direct hit....light damage. I managed a kill on the DD and the coastal merchant before slipping away....but I was on edge for at least 30 min....sweating it out.
84% realism btw

That will teach you! LOL