PDA

View Full Version : Will BoB programming be more predictable?

|CoB|_Spectre
05-20-2006, 05:46 PM
The tamperproofing of the IL-2 series, IMHO, is one of the cornerstones of its success and longevity, but it is supremely frustrating when an intended improvement causes other things not to work correctly anymore.

The bane of the IL-2/FB engine has been the unpredictable consequences of changes to the code. Many is the time something that worked fine before a patch is porked thereafter. Will SoW:BoB be structured so that cause-and-effect will be isolated to that which was intended to be changed?

VW-IceFire
05-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by |CoB|_Spectre:
The tamperproofing of the IL-2 series, IMHO, is one of the cornerstones of its success and longevity, but it is supremely frustrating when an intended improvement causes other things not to work correctly anymore.

The bane of the IL-2/FB engine has been the unpredictable consequences of changes to the code. Many is the time something that worked fine before a patch is porked thereafter. Will SoW:BoB be structured so that cause-and-effect will be isolated to that which was intended to be changed?
Probably not going to change much. What you describe is true of all software no matter how good the programming practices or how efficient the programmers. One thing invariably leads to potential breakage of something else. True for Windows, for Linx, for Winamp, for the 'Hello World' program I've written in QBasic, TurboPascal, and C++, and so forth. Mind you its pretty hard to screw up a 'Hello World' program but I think I've illustrated my point.

Until there is some sort of unforseen revolution in the way that software is programmed...this is the way things will be. It may just be less obvious when the programmers are good. And Oleg's programmers are undoubtedly very good as the whole IL-2 series is quite the house of cards to keep up.

FritzGryphon
05-20-2006, 10:11 PM
I doubt it'd change as much as the IL-2 series did.

IL-2 started really simple, then added huge things like CEM. BoB will have a rounder feature list to start, and probably won't change as much.

lowfighter
05-21-2006, 04:48 AM
With relatively simple programs this should not happen because of the wonderful modular structure of a well written program: the big program is composed of a number of small programs each of them doing a modest job. However for really tough stuff like il2 I'm not sure the modular structure can be fully preserved... Let's hope for BoB http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Recon_609IAP
05-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Hopefully they use JUnit/NUnit and have a good TDD test environment for BoB http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"Until there is some sort of unforseen revolution in the way that software is programmed"

Yeah, it's called unit tests with a continual test environment setup!

Bearcat99
05-25-2006, 07:17 AM
I dont know much about the nuances of programming.. but I would think that unlike other sim designers especially from his poast record... that 1C is striving for better as opposed to worse or the same.... CFS3 though a more complicated sim was IMO not as good as it's predecessors.... I dont think we will have to worry about that from BoB.. just from the features alone it seems it will go to another levellll but you know Spec.. thats a good point... are you wondering if we will still jave that "global" type of FM?

I wonder about that too.. and I am actually worried about the next add on for this series because of that.... I thought the 4.04 Mustang was flawed.. and although everyone keeps telling me no changes were made.... The 4.05 Mustang seems to me to handle a LOT better than it's predecessor. It is a nice mix between the first 2.xx Mustang which was a bit too potent.... and the 4.03 Mustang which was just frankly not that good. It still has issues IMO but nothing like what it was.. it is now closer to the historical Mustang IMO... In 4.04 I only flew it out of affection for the plane and the challenge .... but I find that even guys in the 332nd who had stopped flying it because it was too porked now can make headway in it.