PDA

View Full Version : New widescreen monitor but don't play IL2 in widescreen!!

mortoma
04-18-2010, 09:20 PM
I just got a newer wide screen LCD and posted a question about how to get the whole IL2 wide screen view in Community Help. Well, after I did I was inclined to turn it back off again so I fly with the black stripes at the sides, with the narrower view. Do you wanna know why I did that?? Well, it's simple.

I found out that when you get IL2 to fit into the new wide screen monitors without stretching it, you get no more of a wider view side to side than you do with the older 4:3 aspect ratio. Sure, the whole picture of what you see is wider but what you see in the scenery is not wider. In other words you can't see buildings or trees or what have you that you couldn't see before to each side. But what you do get is a whole lot less view top to bottom!! So you don't see even close to the field of view top to bottom as you got with the old narrow screen. You are not able to see as low on the instrument panel or as high in your windscreen. So you see fewer useful instruments and gauges and fewer bandits high in your screen.

So wide screen for games, as far as I'm concerned is a big rip off. You don't really get anything more, you just get stuff taken away. At least for older games like this anyway. That's the only way the game can be displayed without skewing/stretching the view. I for one would rather see as much vertically as I used to. My old 17" CRT ( was really 16 inches diagonally ) still was not able to do the resolution that this thing does and I'm still gaining a bigger screen. The viewable portion with the black stripes down the side is 17.5 inches diagonally. So it's bigger with higher resolution. I'm not going back to the wide view due to that vertical sacrifice. I'm going to be happier this way. I'd rather have the black stripes any day!!

Stiletto-
04-18-2010, 09:53 PM
What! You mean that I got ripped off when I bought my LCD tv because I see less when watching TV shows now?

Mortoma you crack me up, but I am going to help you out.

Yes, Il2 uses the vertical FOV not the horizonta, so the default FOV looks zoomed in compared to widescreens. As you stated, these old games aren't really meant for widesceen monitors.. Atleast you can change the FOV to something that works much better, unlike many games that don't let you mess with the field of view at all, 52" TV on a desk infront of your eye sockets without customizable FOV = PS3 turned into a pile of dog **** and a bunch of PC games as well.

There are 2 solutions for you, you can adjust the default FOV in IL2 to the widest or the 2nd widest. Look at this comparision of the 4:3 to the widescreen ratio, as you can see the views are pretty similar:

http://webpages.charter.net/scottomatic/fov_comparison.jpg

Also there is a program out there called Sans IL2 FOV Changer, it is not a mod.. That can let you customize your FOV to anything you want, I suggest you do the math and figure out the distance you sit from your screen and the width of your monitor to get the correct real world field of view and see if you like how that feels in IL-2:

http://il2fovchanger.byethost7.com/

I hope this helps you out! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Aviar
04-18-2010, 10:43 PM
mortoma,

I feel your pain, but I was surprised when you posted this:

"I found out that when you get IL2 to fit into the new wide screen monitors without stretching it, you get no more of a wider view side to side than you do with the older 4:3 aspect ratio. Sure, the whole picture of what you see is wider but what you see in the scenery is not wider. In other words you can't see buildings or trees or what have you that you couldn't see before to each side. But what you do get is a whole lot less view top to bottom!! So you don't see even close to the field of view top to bottom as you got with the old narrow screen. You are not able to see as low on the instrument panel or as high in your windscreen. So you see fewer useful instruments and gauges and fewer bandits high in your screen."

I have seen you posting here for several years, so I am surprised you did not know this before you got your new widescreen monitor. There have been so many threads about this subject.

However, don't feel bad. I have a 24" widescreen monitor and I play IL-2 exactly like you do...in 4:3 aspect ratio with the black bars....for the same reason you do.

I don't want to sacrifice vertical viewing area with no extra horizontal FOV just to fill up my entire screen. I'm probably in the minority with that kind of thinking, but it's all about personal preference.

This is why I always advise getting a 16:10 monitor instead of a 16:9 monitor. With a 16:10, you will lose some vertical FOV if you play IL-2 in 'widescreen'. However, with a 16:9, you will lose even more vertical FOV than a 16:10.

As far as the Sans IL2 FOV Changer, I have tried that before...even the latest version. It's nice for simply flying around and sightseeing. For combat and dogfighting, I found it troublesome. It has quirks and bugs that pop up at the worst time and can really ruin the whole experience. That's why I stopped using it.

I fly quite a bit on HL and I don't know a single player who actually uses it. That should tell you quite a bit. In most cases, if an application like this is really 'good', you will find many people using it. Judge for yourself.

PS-I just saw on another thread that your new monitor is 16:9. That's too bad. No wonder you hate losing all that vertical viewing area in 'widescreen'. It would be a little better if you had gotten a 16:10 monitor.

Aviar

Erkki_M
04-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Set SaveAspect=0 to get rid of the black bars. Sure, the view gets narrower but at least its wide. FOV changer helps getting a true wide view without the top and bottom in vertical cut out, but has its quirks - I use it, it works well in a session but once the server switches a map or every time I start a new session I have to restart the FOVchanger too or quirks start occurring at the worst possible timing; outside view changes, cockpit not, the set FOV locks up(not good if its the gunsight view), default view is locked etc and all these require restarting the FOV(1-2sec with the button) but is still annoying. You still might want to try it.

TheFamilyMan
04-18-2010, 11:23 PM
IMO Sans FOV changer is the only reason IL-2 is playable on a wide screen: the IL-2 default FOV loses way too much in the vertical dimension and the wide FOV is a little too much in the distortion it introduces. I usually don't have any problems with Sans, but occasionally (say 1 out of 10 session) it really can wreck an evening's IL-2 (things that happen: it won't enable or enables/disables randomly, it decides to step the zoom amount at random times, or your aircraft disassociates) but I live with it anyways because when it works it rocks!

mortoma
04-19-2010, 01:11 AM
Hey guys, I didn't get this new monitor with any preconceived notions about enhancing gaming. So I didn't waste my money, that old CRT ain't going back on my desk unless this thing dies an early death and even then I'd get it fixed or buy another one right away. I got it mostly because I was getting tired of that huge and heavy thing up on my desk that was about two feet deep from front to back. Or pretty darn close to it. And as far as the pictures posted by Stiletto, I get a much bigger difference than he does, maybe I'll post pictures myself. It just takes a bit of time and I'm getting ready to go on vacation.

All I do is change the 'SaveAspect=?' in conf.ini from 1 to 0 to go back to my 4:3 ratios ( black margins on the side ) and that's after I changed the width and height to my new monitor's native resolution of 1920 X 1080. Makes a huge difference in what I can see vertically. Way more than Stiletto's pics!! Maybe my monitor has a different and more severe ratio between vertical and horizontal than what his has?? It's a 21.5 diagonal monitor. It's 18.75 inches across and a little more than 10.5 inches high. Very extreme on the aspect ratio if you ask me. The difference is big enough to eliminate entire instruments from view on the panels.

mortoma
04-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Erkki_M:
Set SaveAspect=0 to get rid of the black bars. Sure, the view gets narrower but at least its wide. FOV changer helps getting a true wide view without the top and bottom in vertical cut out, but has its quirks - I use it, it works well in a session but once the server switches a map or every time I start a new session I have to restart the FOVchanger too or quirks start occurring at the worst possible timing; outside view changes, cockpit not, the set FOV locks up(not good if its the gunsight view), default view is locked etc and all these require restarting the FOV(1-2sec with the button) but is still annoying. You still might want to try it. I'll live with the bars for now. Might try that changer thing you talk about later when I get back from vacation. For now I just pretend my monitor has a really wide bezel and it doesn't bother me much. And like I said before, it's still bigger than the image on my old CRT and it's much higher resolution like this. Still a major leap for me. I just like my vertical view a lot is all.

WTE_Galway
04-19-2010, 01:40 AM
The ideal would to be find a monitor that swivels 90 degrees into "portrait" position and then hook up three of them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Not that easy to do in IL2 .. maybe SOW.

thefruitbat
04-19-2010, 06:30 AM
+1 for sans FOV changer, its the only way to go with a widescreen monitor imo.