PDA

View Full Version : Gunnery Advice Please

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 06:18 AM
I wonder if I could get some advice. It seemed to me that the pitch setting on default was WAY too sensitive. I'm currently using a Cougar. I'm flying on realistic gunnery and I'm trying to get to the point where I can actually hit something. I changed the sliders on pitch from 0-50 instead of 0-100 and that seemed a lot smoother but does that mean I'm only getting 50% of the elevator range? What does the filter setting do? I set it to 1.0 and that seemed to smooth it out but I'm not sure what it's doing. How about convergence? I changed it to 400m but I don't what works best, I mean - ccome on - according to HORRIDO, Hans Marseille shot down 8 planes in 10 minutes! If I have any hits "accross the circle" it's pure luck. I need some help.

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 06:18 AM
I wonder if I could get some advice. It seemed to me that the pitch setting on default was WAY too sensitive. I'm currently using a Cougar. I'm flying on realistic gunnery and I'm trying to get to the point where I can actually hit something. I changed the sliders on pitch from 0-50 instead of 0-100 and that seemed a lot smoother but does that mean I'm only getting 50% of the elevator range? What does the filter setting do? I set it to 1.0 and that seemed to smooth it out but I'm not sure what it's doing. How about convergence? I changed it to 400m but I don't what works best, I mean - ccome on - according to HORRIDO, Hans Marseille shot down 8 planes in 10 minutes! If I have any hits "accross the circle" it's pure luck. I need some help.

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 06:28 AM
Hello GS.

My convergence set to 150m if that is any help. I open fire from a very close distance max 200m, any further i think is a waste of ammo... and the hardest part not to land hits...it is to escape collision at 700km/h. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Just my 02c

Regards,
VFC*Crazyivan
http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/ivan-reaper.gif

"No matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down." Ivan Kozhedub

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 07:13 AM
Hey - anybody's 2c is ok by me, I appreciate it. Do you shoot more from the gunsight view, or from normal view? My biggest problem seems to be just trying to hold the nose steady, and in gunsght view it seems even harder which led me to start messing with the pitch settings for the joystick. Do you even bother with trying defection shots or just get in close? Oh - and how come I EMPTIED my 11b Hurricane into an HE-111 and he would not go down! I'll try 150m convergence - Thanx

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 07:17 AM
people often set convergences close to assure better accuracy but i almost always do the opposite. i usually have my cannons set to 500m and mgs to 300. most people don't like that style but i find it works well for me. back in the pre-patch days, when the ju-87 G-1 could be used for air-to-air, i used these settings for target practice so thats what i'm used to. i don't usually wait until i'm right on top of the plane to fire. often times i'll just follow and wait for them to fly straigt. when they do, just hit them and it should be enough. if you find yourself up-close, long convergence settings still work, but not always as well. it all depends on personal taste and style. find what works best for you.

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 07:21 AM
Definatly take crazyivan1970's advice. He shot me down twice tonight in about 25 min. I never new what hit me lol.

But 400m convergence is to high, considering your new. Im experimenting right now and have mine set to 400m. But i can hit at that range. Its very hard to and it is a waist of amo. For one the amo will be less effective at that distance and two, it harder to get a hit.

Im goin going to set mine back to 300m, thats usauly when i will start to fire any way.

Just figure out at what range you open fire at, that is what your convergence should be. You can always change that to.

Gunnery, well you just have to keep geting back up. Try not to waist your amo. Dont be afraid to try headons or deflection shots. If you dont try them you wont lern them.

Gunsight vew: I use that until i get to about 200m. Then i change to normal vew. It's hard to keep some one in vew when your closer then 200m using Gunsight vew when they try to shake you.

Have fun.

Message Edited on 09/04/0306:30AM by VF_310thSilent

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 07:52 AM
The 'spray' effect of shot means that closer will always be more efficient ammo/damage wise than farther away (very, very close may translate your convergence as much of your ammo stream missing the target though).

My favourite range band has to be 100m to 150m. For really tricky 'ace targets' I resort to longer ranges and deflection shots (which usually give me the most satisfaction).

'Sailor' Malan (RAF ace, WW2) published his '10 rules of dogfighting' to all RAF fighter squads, and in it he says "Don't open fire until you see the whites of their eyes"

With regards to bringing down heavy a/c, I think the trick is to concentrate your fire on a vulnerable spot, e.g. a wing root, engine or radiator (maybe even the pilot if you are feeling cruel!!)

I only really used ranges of over 200m as 'blips' to try and scare the enemy into 'jinking' so that I can catch up to them faster!

Regards,

BobTuck.

XyZspineZyX
09-04-2003, 08:49 AM
Thanx all for your input. I just finished about an hours worth of flying - doing a little better - I did set for closer convergence but also just trying to take more time and not rush in I see that judging your closing speed on the other guy is realley critical. I was having a real tough time in a yak3 against a 190A4.He kept slowing down and rolling and I would get a small hit and shoot past. I kept getting hits but would keep running out of ammo and not bring him down. Finally switched to a P-39 and blew him up. Enough for tonight, Thanx again.