PDA

View Full Version : Online with a Laptop

Jagdklinger
03-18-2005, 12:53 AM
As I am in a final hectic year at university, it makes sense I am fiddling with games instead of studying...

Anyway, I thought I'd finally get online. DL'd Hyperlobby AND Ubi.com, but all "Forgotten Battles" servers had 3.04 PF...

A. Are there any AEP 2.04 servers out there? (I detest Japanese planes with a passion so there is no way I am shelling out $90 for the joys of the Ki-43 and online privileges... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

B. Is it even worth going online with a 56k modem? I only ever play strategy games online 'cause I don't want to spoil things for others (lag-wise) but I recall someone on the forum saying higher lag is acceptable in IL-2. I.e. being 56k in Australia like Xnomad means ping is 300-400 for 'overseas' sites. Is that acceptable?

C. Finally, I play using my uni laptop. Offline, this has never been a problem (32-vid card/256ram/2.7Ghz can deal with 800x600 easily) but are there any tips for making it run faster/better?

Jagdklinger
03-18-2005, 12:53 AM
As I am in a final hectic year at university, it makes sense I am fiddling with games instead of studying...

Anyway, I thought I'd finally get online. DL'd Hyperlobby AND Ubi.com, but all "Forgotten Battles" servers had 3.04 PF...

A. Are there any AEP 2.04 servers out there? (I detest Japanese planes with a passion so there is no way I am shelling out $90 for the joys of the Ki-43 and online privileges... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif )

B. Is it even worth going online with a 56k modem? I only ever play strategy games online 'cause I don't want to spoil things for others (lag-wise) but I recall someone on the forum saying higher lag is acceptable in IL-2. I.e. being 56k in Australia like Xnomad means ping is 300-400 for 'overseas' sites. Is that acceptable?

C. Finally, I play using my uni laptop. Offline, this has never been a problem (32-vid card/256ram/2.7Ghz can deal with 800x600 easily) but are there any tips for making it run faster/better?

Wilburnator
03-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Where do you live that PF costs $90? Yikes! You can probably get PF for $30, or even $20 now. And what is it about Japases planes that's so horrible? The fact that they're Japanese? Zeros are a blast to fly, and Ki43's even more so. They may not be the best choice on certain servers, lol. But great fun.

As far as dial up goes... I have played alot on dial up. I have cable now. Online play for dial up users used to be better then it is, but it still works for many. Certain servers will be out of the question, but you'll probably find rooms you can play in.

Can you play online on a laptop? I have no clue... I would guess if it works for you offline, it would work online, but I really have no idea. A 32 meg vid card and 256 megs of ram sounds a little light to me! I run a 256 meg card and 2 gigs of ram, and I'm finally satisfied with the performance, lol.

I will say this. Once you play a bit online, the AI just doesn't do it anymore. Real humans are fun to shoot. Virtually speaking, lol. But seriously, if you can get it to work, I think you'll find it addictive.

Jagdklinger
03-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Where do you live that PF costs $90?
Australia. We may be the world's best athletes per head of population, but import our games from USA... along with other annoying customs (see Clease's Letter to America thread) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I like Japanese sports cars (they ARE cheap to import) just always have detested their planes. Don't like their looks, don't like to fly them.
A little to flimsy/yank-n-bank for me...
The only PF plane I crave is 4x20mm F4U...

I was never interested in WWII PTO despite it being on our doorstep (Coral Sea = borders my home state, Queensland - PNG used to be an Australian protectorate...)

So no-ones going to scream at 350 ping? I dont want to spoil things for others...