PDA

View Full Version : Torpedoes and dams......

slarsson
01-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Was on Wrclouds last night, getting shot down a lot.
The mission to take out the two power stations is fun. I took my A20 to one, expecting to be able to blow stuff up, but the fighter-bombers had already taken most of the buildings out, and I only got a couple of cars and AA. However, I noticed the nice fat dam was still in place over the river, so I came back with a torpedo. Dropped it nicely in the river, and watched the track go straight as an arrow at the centre of the dam - then pass straight through and out the other side.....
No dambusters missions, I guess? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

slarsson
01-05-2005, 04:38 PM
Was on Wrclouds last night, getting shot down a lot.
The mission to take out the two power stations is fun. I took my A20 to one, expecting to be able to blow stuff up, but the fighter-bombers had already taken most of the buildings out, and I only got a couple of cars and AA. However, I noticed the nice fat dam was still in place over the river, so I came back with a torpedo. Dropped it nicely in the river, and watched the track go straight as an arrow at the centre of the dam - then pass straight through and out the other side.....
No dambusters missions, I guess? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

SkyPiggies
01-05-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm assuming this dam is a solid piece of concrete several metres wide

In which case you'll need more than a torpedo to put a hole in it...

slarsson
01-05-2005, 05:50 PM
The torpedo had no trouble at all going right through it and out the other side.......
Just no explosion

Fennec_P
01-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Are you sure its a dam?

The only concrete structures I know of are those places on the shore where ships dock. Those structures seem to float on the water (or have pilings or something), so torpedos won't hit them.

slarsson
01-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Well it's a power station with large buildings on either side of the river, and a dam across the river in between. There's 2 of them
Have a a fly at Warclouds and you can see

SkyPiggies
01-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Could you post a screenie?

slarsson
01-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Not until I fly it again. Then I'll be accused of cheating for screenie taking online!

_VR_ScorpionWorm
01-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Maybe a quick duplication in FMB if you can find the exact object used?

Friendly_flyer
01-06-2005, 12:39 AM
The Mistel, possibly the most interesting ordnance to use, has the same problem with ships. It was actually initially designed for taking out capital ships with one blow. In the game though, it will pass right through ships, and only get the wings torn off (and usually fail to explode).

Zeus-cat
01-06-2005, 10:48 AM
I put a dam in my IL-2T torpedo bomber campaign. I used the castle walls and placed them on each side of a railroad bridge (or road bridge). I got this from a ccop mission someone in my squad downloaded. Its probably the same mission you played online.

Anyway, torpedos won't work against ground objects like castle walls. They sit on top of the water and the torpedo will simply pass underneath them. In my campaign I fixed the problem by putting four small German subs (surfaced) inside the "dam". The subs are completely hidden from either side of the dam by the castle walls. The mission is a night mission so you can't see the periscopes sticking up through the bridge. I then made the subs the targets and required a destruction level of 25%. If you hit one of these small subs with a single torpedo it sinks and you achieve a Mission Success for destroying one of the four subs (25%). The exploding sub may even take out the bridge if I recall correctly. And since it is a night mission the explosion looks great. This was one of my favorite missions from my campaign.

Zeus-cat