PDA

View Full Version : Training / Stearman

super71957
08-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Many a pilot were taught to fly in Stearman 2 seat biplane.With an instructor right there with you hard,fast lessons could be learned
rather quickly.And for the most part had a basic understanding of an aircraft before you jumped in a high performance fighter for more lessons.
Now I see there is a school online for new pilots but what about having an ingame trainer?

Another words would it be possible in future flight sims to have a Stearman for example where both seats are occupied by humans?
Obviously one student , One teacher , the teacher being a highly experienced user of that particular flight sim.
He/She could be right ther with while they learned takeoff/landing ,bfm,carrier landing the works if neccessary.
Whats eveybody think of this?
Good idea / bad idea or just plain old not possible anyway?
Gimme your thoughts. :}

Good flying!

leitmotiv
08-28-2006, 03:45 PM
I think it is one heck of a good idea but, perhaps, unnecessary. I taught myself to virtual "fly" by slamming into the ground in an I-153 about a gajillion times. Excellent training plane.

Chuck_Older
08-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by super71957:
Many a pilot were taught to fly in Stearman 2 seat biplane.With an instructor right there with you hard,fast lessons could be learned
rather quickly.And for the most part had a basic understanding of an aircraft before you jumped in a high performance fighter for more lessons.
Now I see there is a school online for new pilots but what about having an ingame trainer?

Another words would it be possible in future flight sims to have a Stearman for example where both seats are occupied by humans?
Obviously one student , One teacher , the teacher being a highly experienced user of that particular flight sim.
He/She could be right ther with while they learned takeoff/landing ,bfm,carrier landing the works if neccessary.
Whats eveybody think of this?
Good idea / bad idea or just plain old not possible anyway?
Gimme your thoughts. :}

Good flying!

I agree 100% training aircraft should be included. I long for a Yellow Peril

Taylortony
08-28-2006, 04:31 PM
what a cracking Idea, you should email it to Oleg with it......... the rear seater could be able to overide the front seat controls in case of the student getting into difficulty and they could watch the stick move and your inputs along with hearing you on the likes of teamspeak

orkan_3d
08-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Potential BOB addon 1939. was supposed to include Tigermoth or Buker Jungman, but unfortunately I see their site is down for some time.
By the way, have anyone have heard something about Rola recently?

super71957
08-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Exactly what I mean!
Would even be nice to "advance" to an AT-6 type aircraft.
Have a mock dogfight server where a trainee could really learn BFM the right way.
Other survival skills only the experienced can teach.
LOL Avoid flying a I-153 into the ground a gajillion times.
From what I can gleen from this forum is most pilots,myself included,finally go online and get the poop beat outta them. Now I am having a blast online and this fact does not bother me but every now and then it can be a little frustrating.This idea may help alleviate that.
Mind you ,not whining, but maybe for some it can be overwhelming.To say the least! LOL
Anyway thanks for the replys,thought you might find it an interesting idea.

Good Flying!

R988z
08-29-2006, 04:35 AM
It's been mentioned before I think, it would probably work better in a earn your licence before flying campaign type way. For those who have played Grand Turismo, you could make it like the licence tests there, you need to pass them to unlock some campaigns or something like that.

For those venturing online there are a few training squads out there that help newbies with basic flying and combat tactics already.

Tully__
08-29-2006, 04:44 AM
It's been more than mentioned before. For quite a long time the community begged, harrassed, petitioned and otherwise campaigned for such an addition to the current game series despite repeated statements by Oleg himself that it just wont work with the netcode in the current game engine. I believe it's being considered for BoB:SoW but there have so far been no guarantees that I've seen for such a feature to be included.

Low_Flyer_MkVb
08-29-2006, 04:51 AM
Good call R988z - maybe a set number of safely completed take-offs and landings in a Tiger Moth (or it's U.S./German/Italian/Russian or whatever equivalent) coupled with basic navigation excercises would lead to a monoplane trainer (Miles Magister or Harvard perhaps), which in turn would lead to a 'career choice' perhaps a bit of twin-engined training in an Anson and then gunnery training or bombing ranges before you got to fly missions against the enemy - but only if you're good enough. Would certainly lead to more competent virtual pilots and generate a better understanding of what the guys who did it for real went through. Plus we'd have some lovely old aeroplanes to potter about in when the mood took us.

Viper2005_
08-29-2006, 07:25 AM
It would be a useful way of validating the game's performance and feel too; Stearman time is only about $300/hour in the USA (I picked some up myself whilst on holiday this year).

super71957
08-29-2006, 03:39 PM
Oh well.
I have been looking at this to Viper.
I live about 20 minutes outside of Atlanta,Georgia
This looks like a hec of alot of fun.
Affordable too.
Now just have to choose a flight type and have at it.
www.biplaneride.com (http://www.biplaneride.com)

ElAurens
08-29-2006, 04:30 PM
http://avia.russian.ee/pictures/japan/tachikawa_ki-9.jpg

Tachikawa Army Type 95-1 Intermediate Trainer (Ki-9). Allied code name: "Spruce".

USMC_Tailspin
08-29-2006, 10:27 PM
I vote for a Stearman http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

heywooood
08-29-2006, 10:54 PM
us 'mericans will prolly have to wait for a Stearman....but a Moth then a Fury then a Hurri would be cool.

DxyFlyr
08-29-2006, 11:17 PM
Well, I couldn't add an extra pit, but the paint is close...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/DxyFlyr/J8A-US-trainer-Navy01.jpg

or if you're an army type....

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/DxyFlyr/J8A-US-trainer-Army01.jpg

heywooood
08-29-2006, 11:19 PM
well - thats some kinda niiice....