PDA

View Full Version : Question about the He111 groundhandling

-HH-Dubbo
06-20-2005, 04:26 AM
It is extremely difficult to taxi now. I used to be okay at it but now, it's almost as if the brakes don't work at all, except in a straight line. Any rudder under brakes and she'll turn almost on her axis. Would this be accurate?? Any hints to help me taxi now. I do like her so.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Thanks in advance folks

ClnlSandersLite
06-20-2005, 04:34 AM
Do you mean that rudder+brake turns the aircraft but stick x + brake doesn't? If so, that's how it's supposed to work. It's the games method of differential braking. Something else that will help: If turning right, increase engine 1's power but leave engine 2 idle. If turning left, reverse the above instructions.

F19_Ob
06-20-2005, 08:58 AM
Hey .

I much enjoyed flying the he111 online in 3.04 and thought it might be a sitting duck on the ground now with the handling in 4.01.
Its a bit more difficult now but I still can do as in 3.04 to get off the ground as fast as possible.

This is what I do:
Enable full power when engines started and hit brakes and stear fast but carefully to runway and stear with rudder and brakes.
If new to this sim U can pause sometimes and continue slowly, but it's possible to do this fast aswell.
I never lock tailwheels so I dont have to mess with that, but again newcomers might find it an aid.
The biggest difference is ofcourse the torque but also that it needs a longer strech to get up in the air in 4.01 (seems so for many planes.)

I tested all planes, taking off from ground. Full power and go.
A few planes may nose over if the speed is too high when using brakes too hard and the Fiat cr42 will nose over if full throttle is applied when standing still.
In most planes full throttle from start is manageable with some practise though.

This can be good to know for Bomberguys online, since we get wasted often enough http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

PBNA-Boosher
06-20-2005, 09:02 AM
I find it hard to taxi any 2 engined bomber now, it's kind of aggravating. It keeps wanting to go in one direction for me, even at only 60% power when trimmed over 20 times the opposite way.

BBB_Hyperion
06-20-2005, 09:17 AM
I found the same thing on he111. Wheel brakes not working on the ground but once landing they work.

F19_Ob
06-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Brakes and rudder used simultaniously should work to steer the he111 and other planes.
Perhaps u let the speed get too high for the steering to work?

I dont use trim or anything else just being careful with the rudder so the steering wont go to far in any direction.
I also use the torque and line up and let the plane steer it self onto the runway as much as possible without any input from me. Then I just correct the course a bit when needed.
--------------------------------------------

Try this:

First check so the tailwheel isn't locked and make sure both engines are selected and not only one (it dont have enough power otherwise).

When standing still, brake and apply some throttle. when slowly moving Use the rudder to steer. If the it wont move to any side, also push stick forward and/or apply some more throttle.
This is all I do and it should work.

----------------------------------------------
I'll ask my wingie Olli72 to test it aswell and see how it works for him and report back to U.

BBB_Hyperion
06-20-2005, 12:59 PM
I tested a little around and found the wheel brakes work but effect is less than before.

What is exspected when 2 engines pull forward and you press left brake the wheel on the other side surely will overrun the left. How strong must the torque be to counter this movement ?

Are other bombers affected by this slow speed handling trouble < 30 km/h as well ?

LeadSpitter_
06-20-2005, 07:34 PM
I noticed this as well with the he111, it has not happened to me with the betty a20 or b25 but the beaufighter is the same way you slow down apply brakes and use rudder and it just keeps doing 360s even when holding the brake down and trottle back.

The Beaufighter new fm is pretty horrid flops all over and has a rubber rudder, try it out with 50 fuel and rockets.

It also seems the bombers are taking a ridiculous ammount of hits, in greater greentoday flying the beau i had 4 109g2s run out of ammo on me, they got my cables aileron and elevator but was able to rtb with rudder and flaps.

Same with the he111 in greater green on one of the night maps, seeing 4 spitfires and 3 p40s pretty much run out of ammo ai getting 4 attempting high speed passes.

But then in warclouds flying the b25 or a20 just one burst of hits from mg151 or 108 cannon
and you explode into nothing or falling to the ground with no tail and both wings missing.

-HH-Dubbo
06-21-2005, 01:39 AM
Exactly LS. It's the low speed handling that is the problem. I can take off easily enough with it lined up on the runway to begin with. It's the <30 kph taxiing around after landing that is the problem. Even the TB3 has this tendency now. (I must try the other "heavies")

Is it realistic?? I know the Beau had trouble with ground handling in inexperienced hands. A number of years ago I took a trip out to Mt Isa with my Norton and I met a gent who said he was an RAAF mechanic during WW2. One thing I remember him telling me was that when they first recieved the new Beaufighters, the pilots were ground-looping them daily due to the massive torque. He said they were used to flying something else but I can't recall what the Beaus replaced.

But it seems that brakes should work under 30 kph with the engines throttled back regardless.

F19_Ob
06-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Reporting back from olli.

He had no trouble taking off as I did in the he111 although he also felt it was a bit heavier and needed longer takeoff.