PDA

View Full Version : IL2 On A Netbook / Mini Laptop

ytareh
04-13-2009, 01:17 PM
OK now I realise this may be treading on thin ice but I personally own at least two Il2 Sturmovik cds and at least one of every other one Oleg has ever released.I want to play IL2 on my Samsung NC10 netbook but it doesnt have a cd/dvd drive to put the disc into.I have loaded the demo using a USB memory stick but cant do the same with the 'full' game .Is there a straightforward , simple and dare I say it even legal way to do this ?
For the record the original IL2 plays fine on medium-low settings on this 'puny' laptop although I think even Forgotten Battles uses a lot more resources with similar jumps up for Pacific Fighters and 1946.Im more interested in using the FMB than actually playing games on the go...

ytareh
04-13-2009, 01:17 PM
OK now I realise this may be treading on thin ice but I personally own at least two Il2 Sturmovik cds and at least one of every other one Oleg has ever released.I want to play IL2 on my Samsung NC10 netbook but it doesnt have a cd/dvd drive to put the disc into.I have loaded the demo using a USB memory stick but cant do the same with the 'full' game .Is there a straightforward , simple and dare I say it even legal way to do this ?
For the record the original IL2 plays fine on medium-low settings on this 'puny' laptop although I think even Forgotten Battles uses a lot more resources with similar jumps up for Pacific Fighters and 1946.Im more interested in using the FMB than actually playing games on the go...

MAXMHZ1959
04-13-2009, 01:28 PM
A USB external drive should work for pre-1946 versions. The US retail version of 1946 does not need the DVD.
1946 does run on some EEEPCs, so should run on the nc10. see this thread (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/6401062866?r=9691013866#9691013866)

BillSwagger
04-13-2009, 02:05 PM
i would also offer that the entire il2/fb series is available for download for only $10.00.

consider the cost of the equipment or larger memory sticks/external drivers etc...it still might be cheaper just to download it off the Ubisoft.com website.

Citizen86
04-13-2009, 07:33 PM
All you have to do is download a program like Alcohol 120%, or another CD imaging program. You make an image of the CD on your hard drive, basically a file of the CD on your hard drive. Usually it's a .iso file or .bin/.cue file.

From there, you can send that to your NC10, and download a program called Daemon tools. It creates a virtual CD drive that you can load that CD image of and it tricks your computer into thinking it is a CD drive. You can install and play from that. Completely legal.

Things like that is why I love programs like Steam. No need for CD's.

ytareh
04-14-2009, 02:34 AM
I thought that IL2 had a 'defence' against this sort of program?(Mods about to press red button!?)Certainly when I copied and pasted my folder from desktop to laptop on memory stick it wouldnt work.

Urufu_Shinjiro
04-14-2009, 06:40 AM
Il2 should run without having to be installed, you should be able to copy your game folder to the netbook and it should run. Now most netbooks have really bad onboard intel graphics so may not run il2 very ell if at all. Make sure you run il2setup.exe and select safe graphics settings and experiment some.