PDA

View Full Version : climbing

deskpilot
12-09-2009, 11:34 AM
It occured to me while test flying a photo recon mission I'm working on that I've really no idea about how to climb most effectively. Is there an optimum angle for climbing to , say 30000 feet as quickly as possible? I was flying a corsair and found that with a fair am,ount of upward elevator trim it would climb, slow down , level out, or even drop slightly, then build up speed, climb, slow down, level out etc. I think I understand the logic of why the plane would do this but I was wondering how best to maintain a steady climb so as to get to the desired height as quickly and efficiently as poss.

JtD
12-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Obviously, you'll have to keep the aircraft flying fairly straight. The exact number depending on the type of plane, you can climb most planes fairly well at 300 km/h IAS speed. Trim your aircraft so that it keeps that speed.

AndyJWest
12-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Download IL-2 Compare from M4T:
http://mission4today.com/index...&file=details&id=329 (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=329)
You may need to register to download, but M4T is a very useful site.

This will tell you the best speed to climb at. Keep to this speed as IAS - your TAS will of course increase with height.

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65/ajv00987k/F4Uclimb.jpg

In practice, climbing a little faster than the theoretical optimum is likely to keep the engine cooler, and you are less vulnerable if bounced by enemy aircraft.

thefruitbat
12-09-2009, 12:02 PM
As AndyjWest has mentioned, best climb is acheived by maintaing your 'best climb' IAS for that particular plane, not the angle or TAS.

As you climb, you will find that to maintain this IAS, the angle of the climb will slowly decrease.

fruitbat

na85
12-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by deskpilot:

Is there an optimum angle for climbing to , say 30000 feet as quickly as possible?

To answer your question directly: The optimum angle is whatever angle is required to maintain your best climb speed, which you obtain from il2compare that Andy linked to.

So for the F4U-1C, you basically point the nose up, and if the speed increases past best climb speed pull back harder and if you slow down too much you release it a bit. Once you find the sweet spot where your speed sits at best climb speed, use elevator trim to hold that angle without having to hold the stick in place.

Kettenhunde
12-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Two speeds to achieve best climb performance on an airplane depending on what you want to do...

Vx - Best Angle of climb = the best rate of climb over distance on the ground. Used for obstacle clearance or best climb rate in a confined area. Occurs at maximum excess thrust for the aircraft.

Vy - Best Rate of Climb = Best rate of climb over time. Used when you want to beat the clock and reach an altitude in the shortest time. Occurs at maximum excess power for the aircraft.

jamesblonde1979
12-09-2009, 10:14 PM
What Kettenhunde said...

Also best sustained climb, I dont have a fancy name for it but you should climb conservatively if possible to oreserve your engine for the fight ahead.

Also, never climb with the sun at your back.

BillSwagger
12-10-2009, 07:55 PM
I usually get a decent sustained climb just by using the default trim at 100% power, and open rads.
At a shallower angle, and higher speed, i also have the option of using zoom climbs.
This method always ends up getting me to a higher altitude faster than whats indicated in Il2 compare, and for that reason i think Il2 compare can be somewhat misleading. If i want to know how two planes compare i use the program but what you get out of the charts needs to be applied to practical uses in game to see what actually works best, particularly in the areas of climb/descend and turning.

In game, aren't most fighter plane's default trims usually the best climb, absent of external stores?

na85
12-10-2009, 08:27 PM
I doubt it, Bill.

I find most aircraft are trimmed too tail-heavy by default and if I let go of the stick to grab a glass of water I often come back to find that the aircraft has dropped a wing due to airspeed getting too low.

jamesblonde1979
12-11-2009, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by BillSwagger:
I usually get a decent sustained climb just by using the default trim at 100% power, and open rads.

Probably a little uneconomical for me, I usually take 50% fuel and aim to stay up for 30-45 minutes online. If the option is there for a drop-tank it is advisable also.