PDA

View Full Version : small panels in beaufighter screen???

salthill
12-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Hi
anyone know what the two small panels either side of the main screen in the beau are for ??
cheers
salthill

TheCrux
12-05-2010, 10:59 AM
They appear to me as small hinge-down openings for ventilation or communcation ( to yell out to ground personnel )

Lots of general aviation planes have them.

What always drove me nuts is figuring out what those spoon-like depressions are on either side of the panel/windshield.

WTE_Ibis
12-05-2010, 06:56 PM
What always drove me nuts is figuring out what those spoon-like depressions are on either side of the panel/windshield.

For your nibbles, beer nuts etc. no cup holders though.

jensenpark
12-07-2010, 08:20 PM
I had the pleasure of lunch once with Athol Sutherland-Brown

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remem...detail&media_id=1629 (http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/hrp/hrp_detail&media_id=1629)

He was the author of Silently into Midst of Things...about his experiences with a Beau in the far east.

I had asked him the same question, and he said they were small windows. He mentioned that sometimes while flying, the rain was so bad they couldn't see through the glass - but they could open the window and look that way. He commented that even flying, the rain never washed into the open window. How...? Who knows...

PanzerAce
12-07-2010, 09:01 PM
I had asked him the same question, and he said they were small windows. He mentioned that sometimes while flying, the rain was so bad they couldn't see through the glass - but they could open the window and look that way. He commented that even flying, the rain never washed into the open window. How...? Who knows...

Pressure inside the cockpit most likely. Same reason why it isn't just radiator openings that are important, but how good the system is at drawing air AWAY from the back of the rad. With a close cockpit except for the windows, rain isn't going to come in as much as you would expect.

CzechTexan
12-08-2010, 08:52 PM
I wondered the same thing. I just thought maybe they were thicker bulletproof windows.

The Beaufighter is one of my favorites. I also have that book SILENTLY INTO THE MIDST OF THINGS which is a very good first-hand account of the beaufighters in Burma.
Thanks for the window answer!

jensenpark
12-08-2010, 09:01 PM
It is a great book. Sutherland-Brown was a great guy, and member of the Vancouver Island Aircrew Association of which I belonged before getting transferred away.

Oddly - and sadly, I just got the monthly Aircrew newsletter today and it said that Mr Sutherland-Brown had passed away recently.

Hannibales
12-10-2010, 03:48 AM
He mentioned that sometimes while flying, the rain was so bad they couldn't see through the glass - but they could open the window and look that way. He commented that even flying, the rain never washed into the open window. How...? Who knows...

On most GA a/c they're called Storm Windows and are designed exactly for that purpose, they're extremely helpfully for helping to gauge the flare in rain, especially as the prop wash is reduced and so doesn't clear the screen as efficiently. It's not so much a problem of the rain coming in as bits of paper and other things going out!!